Genre (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
Well I did Crime fiction, and I have to say, it wasn't too bad. The essay was unexpected, but the creative was fine.

For the essay, I talked about how all my crime fiction texts dealt with crimes of passion, and by confronting passion with a sense of detachment, the detective could bring order from disorder.

11 pages for creative, 8 pages for the essay.

emmisue

HSC
i thought it was great!!! the creative was so broad, i just put a letter into my preprared medieval story. almost died when i saw the microscope, thought i would fail. but it was speculative fiction, not crime!! so happy!!

essay question was different... what angle did u guys take? I said passion engaged tha audience, while detachment allowed an objective judgement thuis solving of the case, whilst simultaneously allowing a consideration of the values of society it reflects. plus that 4 the detective inside the story too. that allowed me to put heaps bout values etc in,was that right?

Scorch

HSC
It sounds pretty right. I had trouble getting my values and conventions in. My teacher always used to tell me to look at what they're asking, and if it seems too simple, they're really asking you something else. So I just kind of took it and talked about order and disorder. :p

In fact, I didn't really talk about values and conventions all that much.

My creative story was pretty cool, I think. I was going to do a profiler-type one, which is what I did. A killer that was disemboweling women and leaving letters from his childhood on their bodies as a calling card. :p

meghanhelena

HSC
Scorch said:
It sounds pretty right. I had trouble getting my values and conventions in. My teacher always used to tell me to look at what they're asking, and if it seems too simple, they're really asking you something else. So I just kind of took it and talked about order and disorder. :p

My creative story was pretty cool, I think. I was going to do a profiler-type one, which is what I did. A killer that was disemboweling women and leaving letters from his childhood on their bodies as a calling card. :p
Eeep. Your story sounds fantastic. Mine was similiarly gory, about a detective that was actually the killer- sex attacks, corruption, a dog and many many cigarettes. The letter stimulus wasn't very well entwined but... oh well.

As for the essay- I was somewhere in between just trying to get out all I knew about crime fiction and actually answer the question... I wish I had put more stuff about conventions in though. Instead I just talked about the personal relationship between responder and composer, the contrast between passion and detachment as a product of the fluid nature of genre and the nature of humanity- i.e people would go insane at passion without detachment, similiarly, detachment alone would not be interesting enough.

The end.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
Kim Corgan-Molko said:
I thought the creative section was great - mine was about a missing husband, and the detective worked out through reading the last letter he wrote to his wife that he'd just gone on a week-long trip to see a friend (he'd left a coded message in the letter, being a joker and thinking his wife would find it), and wasn't "missing" at all. So basically it had all the elements of a crime fiction piece, with a bit of a twist at the end. I was half a sentence away from finishing when they called pens down :( Hopefully I won't be penalised too much for it, it was pretty obvious I was winding the story up.

The essay was a bit out of left field, and having not prepared for Skull Beneath The Skin I ended up using The Real Inspector Hound, just blabbering on about how it subverts the ideas of passion and detachment. Basically I said that passion and detachment aren't always the most important elements of crime fiction. Hopefully I do alright. 13 pages for each section but my writing is large.

Now, time to get rid of all my notes :D Farewell, crime fiction!
Amen girlfriend!!

champo14

HSC
Scorch said:

Yeah I figured that too. I considered that the module is Genre and we have to focus on conventions so I said the "passion" is the composers focusing in the already established genre and they detatch from the conventions to progress the genre.

I was initially confused about the question, but then I read the rubric and it mentioned the conventions so that what I mainly focussed on.

Oh and a funny story. Our exam supervisor, when reading out the paper, pronouced genre as "gehn-rah" if that makes sense. It was so hilarious, it sounded like some sort of mythical dragon.

kaos12345

HSC
champo14 said:
Yeah I figured that too. I considered that the module is Genre and we have to focus on conventions so I said the "passion" is the composers focusing in the already established genre and they detatch from the conventions to progress the genre.

I was initially confused about the question, but then I read the rubric and it mentioned the conventions so that what I mainly focussed on.

Oh and a funny story. Our exam supervisor, when reading out the paper, pronouced genre as "gehn-rah" if that makes sense. It was so hilarious, it sounded like some sort of mythical dragon.
yeh thats exactly what i did but i linked passion to composer, responder and the protagonists. passion could be pretty openly interpreted imo.

qazwsxedcrfvtgb

HSC
emmisue said:
i thought it was great!!! the creative was so broad, i just put a letter into my preprared medieval story. almost died when i saw the microscope, thought i would fail. but it was speculative fiction, not crime!! so happy!!

essay question was different... what angle did u guys take? I said passion engaged tha audience, while detachment allowed an objective judgement thuis solving of the case, whilst simultaneously allowing a consideration of the values of society it reflects. plus that 4 the detective inside the story too. that allowed me to put heaps bout values etc in,was that right?

haha thats EXACTLY what i wrote about!
im pretty sure my essay was solid...i also said composers need to find an equilibrium between passion and detachment and went onto social criticisms etc.

starrysky

HSC
I did speculative fiction, and I gotta say that my teacher prepared my class well; none of us were really thrown off. I just recycled some quotes + analysis from my Trial, since inner struggle relates to resistance in the question, then I linked it back to conventions of the broader genre + subgenres and pumped it full of techniques.

Creative I was REALLY happy with. Strange that a microscope was a stimulus, so I spent 15 minutes planning my narrative and then by the time I finished it, it went on a wild tangent but I was happy with it. I did this abstract kind of idea where each slide on the microscope contained a microscopic world that was different from present post-modern society but held some common theme between them, and then just explored an on-the-spot-made-up-completely-bullcrapped concept called "dependent utopia" where the contentment + pleasure of the entire microcosm is dependent entirely on the suffering + misery of ONE single little entity called an Enigma.

Wheehee. That's the BEST exam to ever end on, seriously. 11 pages for essay, 9 pages for creative, makes for a perfectly happy Xuannie.

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
i do crime...could go either way. creative was fucking great.
but essay question was soooo shit... i made some amazing links to my preprepared one which was like 1240931490% about contexts effect on genre, but i definetely answered the question in a weird way..reckon they'll accept it? if they do i should rip that up too

emilymcs

HSC
Creative writing was a wank.. I just did my prepared response flat out.

The essay was tricky, but it made you you think. I said that passion will always be at the heart of crime fiction, but in earlier texts there was a sense of detachment but in contemporary texts there is a level of communion between the audience and the characters/setting/language etc.

emilymcs

HSC
I wrote 16 pages for both and I had 20 minutes left at the end. I am so bloody bad at time management.

Magicana

HSC
I did spec. fiction.

13.5 pages for the essay, shortening my thing about the Representation of the struggle between good and evil because I was running over time.

Creative was a little screwy, didn't expect a microscope, but I turned it into a story that dealt with nuclear war and the power of the few over the many.

arae

travels
HSC
starrysky is making me feel bad! SpecFic wasn't too bad but discovery and resistance were a little strange. I totally digged the microscope even though I really wanted to write fantasy.

I ended up writing a omg science gone crazy dystopia lol. Loved my opening sentence tho... 'There is an irony in the myopia of the microscope's lense...' :p

Essay was strange but worked well with resistance for my Handmaid's and V for Vendetta. Like a few people said, values and conventions were hard but yeh... I managed to work in my thesis thingy, which is based on how about manipulation of the power achieved by the abuse of faith in science, magic and religion. My More's Utopia didn't come in at all but I had two more anyway.

navelj

HSC
arae said:
starrysky is making me feel bad! SpecFic wasn't too bad but discovery and resistance were a little strange. I totally digged the microscope even though I really wanted to write fantasy.

I ended up writing a omg science gone crazy dystopia lol. Loved my opening sentence tho... 'There is an irony in the myopia of the microscope's lense...' :p

Essay was strange but worked well with resistance for my Handmaid's and V for Vendetta. Like a few people said, values and conventions were hard but yeh... I managed to work in my thesis thingy, which is based on how about manipulation of the power achieved by the abuse of faith in science, magic and religion. My More's Utopia didn't come in at all but I had two more anyway.
You did V for Vendetta - so did I - but for Revenge Tragedy - who could have asked for an easier question, i just hope there was no secret trick to it - anyways my creative was good - a mixture of psychological interviews, narrative and bits of intertextual references. Essay = 16 pages exact. Creative = 12.5 pages. Hoping for 90....

starrysky

HSC
arae said:

Lol I was just constantly thinking "why the fuck did I put Enigma in? Lame." afterwards. What were your prescribed texts? If you did Handmaid's Tale (which I just read you did, considering I'm braindead after no more English and apparently can't communicate clearly) and/or LotR I'm discussing. :p

xxJTxx

HSC
revenge tragedy for me.

both questions were good.

the essay, hrm, i liked the question, though i dont think i got enough values in...i tried moulding it around conventions that directly to the ideas the question was using, so i think it all worked well.

umm creative...was OKAY..used my prepared one, but i used the key exclusively TWICE, and i thought i'd spruce it up by making all this key imagery/motif throughout..so yer.

:D

NO MORE ENG WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO@

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)