Genuinely scared, seeking answers. (1 Viewer)

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

First off, I'm aiming for an ATAR of 85. I was sure it was achievable, but now I'm starting to second guess...Mainly due to the fact I chose Industrial Technology and Music 1, both really bad scaling subjects that I think will haunt me...

Anyway, what really concerns me is that in the first Industrial Technology (Multimedia) assessment task, I absolutely bombed it. Ended up scoring 51/100 and ranking pretty bad...in an already poorly scaling subject. In the three other tasks last term, I was first in all of them (Adv English, Geography and Music), and I know I can get first in Ancient History too.

So what I'm wondering is, how badly can that ITM assessment cost me? I understand everything a lot better now and I know I can top the rest of the assessments if I really really try, and I'm going to do everything possible to get a perfect score for the Major Project. Last year in the preliminary yearly's I topped the year with 91/100, so I know I can do well in the HSC. How much do my assessment ranks/scores count for if I ace the HSC?

And just lastly, this is a hypothetical equation for my results. Let's say if I were to get these scores, would I be able to make an ATAR of 85? (These are based on last year and the first task of this year).

Adv English - Rank 1/81, HSC 90/100
Ancient History - Rank 3/70, HSC 90/100
Geography - Rank 1/32, HSC 90/100
Music 1 - Rank 4/30, HSC 80/100
Industrial Tech - Rank 15/50, HSC 88/100

Thanks!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I assume your first Industrial Technology assessment task was weighted like 10%? First assessment tasks aren't weighted a lot. Thus, don't sweat if you didn't do well in your first assessment task. If you do well in the rest of your assessment tasks, you should be able to pull your overall ranking up.

If you keep it up with the rest of your subjects and pull up your Industrial Technology by a bit, I'm certain you will get an ATAR above 85 +

Last but not least, don't sweat too much on the bad scaling of Industrial Technology and Music 1 - if you do well in them, nothing is stopping you from getting a perfect ATAR.

enoilgam

HSC
Basically, you can get any ATAR with any combination of subjects (possibly with a few rare exceptions). So you should be ok with your combination of subjects. Typing those marks into an ATAR calculator gives you an ATAR of 84.95 (I dont know whether you should trust this, the calculators werent as reliable this year as they were in previous years). ITM and music would probably drag you down the most - you need to get above 85 at the bare minimum in those subjects in order to prevent them from hurting your ATAR.

Also, dont get too panicked by the first set of assessments. Your trials and final exams combined are on average worth around 70% of your final marks. So things really change from now until the end of the year.

2011_

HSC
An ATAR of 85 (or more) is still possible. The fact is, you can't change the results of your first assessments so just focus on what you CAN do now. Work hard and you can do it!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Stop complaining.

You bombed an exam. Whoop dee doo. Most students with much higher ATAR goals (99+) will bomb at least 1 exam.

Consider this a warning regarding your current progress.

Now study harder, and don't bomb anymore exams.

Alternatively, you could keep being scared and you can continue seeking answers, but ask yourself: Will it prevent you from bombing out on any other exams?

I know this may seem harsh, but somebody has to say it.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Aim for a higher mark in Music, it's actually not that hard to get a good mark.

fakermaker

HSC
I was in the same boat as you this year (well not the bombing out part).

I wanted an atar of at least 85+ to get into my Uni course, and assumed that my decision to do IT would hold me back.

Just put in a fuck load of effort. Rock all of your exams and study like fuck. I ended up with a hsc mark of 99/100 for multimedia, which ended up scaling to 95 or 96. It can be done.

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies. I think not learning the syllabus will be a problem - no joke, we don't learn it. Our teacher refuses to teach it. The ONLY thing we've done this year thus far is work on the Major Work. Literally. The first assessment was worth 30% which sucked, but the worst part was he told us to do things we didn't have to do and it took up a lot of time. In the end that's what brought me down.

How much does the major work count for our overall mark? He hasn't even told us..

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
For music 1 you NEED to have something at LEAST (and i mean very very least) 85+
or else it'll scale to something around 50-60

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)