get penalised...? (1 Viewer)

cutey_azn

HSC
I want to ask if you get the order of the words of the quote wrong, or if you get some of spelling wrong, will you get penalised and get marks deducted, if you do, then how many marks get deducted

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
I want to ask if you get the order of the words of the quote wrong, or if you get some of spelling wrong, will you get penalised and get marks deducted, if you do, then how many marks get deducted
Probably not if it's a one off. If you are getting the quotes wrong frequently they might deduct marks.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Spelling, yeah, you'd lose marks for that. Especially if it's an easier word.

Getting a quote wrong - depends, but unlikely.

Of course, if it's a one off, you won't lose anything. Getting it constantly wrong will get annoying, however, I don't see anyone losing more than 2 marks for entirely shit spelling.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
it could be important, but as aerath said, probably not that many marks, 2 max

TheWolfsLunch

HSC
If it's the prescribed text, shakespeare, or poetry, yeah they'll crack down on it I'd say (or at least that's what I'm told).

If it's for an ORT, especially one that's not very well known, they'll think it's right no matter what you say, I find it highly unlikely that they're going to actively try and track down if you got the quote right or not.

"I'm determined to be a villain" instead of "I'm determined to prove a villain" Yeah, you're in trouble.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
They don't deduce marks as such, just don't give you marks if your answer sucks
So if you consisently quote wrong, it wouldn't meet the marking criteria and you wouldn't get a mark on that aspect

D94

HSC
N/A
They award marks, not deduct. If you don't fulfill the marking criteria, then you can't gain that mark. Bad spelling and misquoting common quotes (common for the text) leaves a bad impression, and especially for the quotes, it could show a lack of understanding of the text.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
I was under the impression that spelling and other basic surface errors did not get marked?
Like, sure they leave a bad impression, but they don't directly impact the mark?

Edit: oh wow, see above

snorelacks

HSC
What if you accidentally wrote the wrong technique, in the reading task e.g. wrote metaphor instead of simile? Will they not give you the marks? And so.. with the last question in comprehension, I referred the last two texts which I wanted to discuss as "text one and text two", will they be able to understand what I'm saying? I wrote the names of the characters in my answer...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Remember that the markers are regularly told - 'they are writing a first draft essay under exam conditions' so unless it is absolutely wrong markers will be a bit more lenient than you think e.g. saying metaphor but clearly talking about a simile - shows you know what you want to talk about but have the wrong term - should stop you getting full marks but not much more than that - of course saying metaphor and then talking about a metaphor when you should be talking about similes will be heavily brought down because you are actually discussing the wrong thing.

snorelacks

HSC
Yeah I was talking about a simile but accidentally wrote metaphor (under stress conditions) :( and this wasn't my essay, it was question e in the reading/unseen text task.

Last edited:

rogerlam

HSC
there is leniency with quotes, they dont have to be word for word
as long as they sound correct or similar then youll be awarded the marks

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Remember that the markers are regularly told - 'they are writing a first draft essay under exam conditions' so unless it is absolutely wrong markers will be a bit more lenient than you think e.g. saying metaphor but clearly talking about a simile - shows you know what you want to talk about but have the wrong term - should stop you getting full marks but not much more than that - of course saying metaphor and then talking about a metaphor when you should be talking about similes will be heavily brought down because you are actually discussing the wrong thing.
THIS If you frequently misspell you'll get marks deducted, but if it's a few times in the paper they won't care. Even the exemplars every year have spelling mistakes. Hell I had an unfinished sentence in trials after I didn't notice I hadn't ended it, missed a word or two in the creative as I wrote it since I was thinking faster than I was writing lol, but they kind of just go 'oh she missed a word lol but it's obvious what she meant' so yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)