getting into law (1 Viewer)

Monsterman

HSC
I got an atar of 98.00 with no EAS so I cant make it to law but could I do this:
Do Commerce/Science, get a WAM of 70 and then transfer to Comm/Law when I get a UOC of 36.. also whilst doing the commerce/science degree, i'll only do the commerce part so that I wont have to repeat units..

I read that 70 WAM isnt that hard.. is that right? and how long would it take to get a UOC of 36?

lastly..is this a good way of getting into law cause I'd rather not go to another uni besides unsw..

edit: I got the WAM and UOC info from.. https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html
so yea..

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Each subject you do is 6 UOC for commerce in your first year, so essentially 36 UOC means you need to do 6 subjects over your first year. A normal full time student does 4 subjects per semester, so you'll be fine in meeting the 36 UOC requirement.

First year commerce subjects aren't hard so you should be fine getting a 70 wam. Most people D or HD first year subjects. If you're going to transfer into comm/law, why not just enrol in comm in your first year, why comm/science?

Monsterman

HSC
Each subject you do is 6 UOC for commerce in your first year, so essentially 36 UOC means you need to do 6 subjects over your first year. A normal full time student does 4 subjects per semester, so you'll be fine in meeting the 36 UOC requirement.

First year commerce subjects aren't hard so you should be fine getting a 70 wam. Most people D or HD first year subjects. If you're going to transfer into comm/law, why not just enrol in comm in your first year, why comm/science?
I read that the units or subjects which are done in a normal commerce degree are different from a combined commerce degree, so i think that would be preferred so that i dont have to waste time?

and if i was to do this.. would anyone say that it would take me around 6years minimum to get out of uni? 1year to get the UOC and 5 years for the comm/law degree?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
A normal commerce degree and a combined commerce degree have some overlapping subjects, namely the first year core subjects such as accounting and economics. If you enter comm/law straight from the hsc or transferring in your second year, it will still take you 5 years all up to graduate. Though you may not start law at the same time as your hsc cohort, once you hit 4th year uni, you'll both be at the same level. This is because in your first year, whether you're in comm or comm/law, 6/8 subjects are common, so it ends up being the same. If you need further details/clarification, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Given that first year subjects are bell-curved, this can't possibly be true.

That said, pretty much everyone I know found that 70 WAM for first year commerce was pretty straightforward. Just bear in mind that 70 is an above-average performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)