Getting N award for scoring low mark on prelim exam? (1 Viewer)

830cracker

HSC
Hey, I know this probably sounds unreasonable but like is there any chance I can get a N award warning(and eventually evolves into a N award) if I get <40% for my English prelim exam? I think I really screwed up the prelim exam this week and wrote surface level explanations with unconnected sentences for the English advanced paper, and I’m quite scared of getting a mark that is too low and will results in a N award warning. Other than this exam, I have been doing quite below average for English this year, where I averaged 61% for my other exams and ranked 100/115; and in case if you are wondering my school ranked in the 100s. I have completed all the homework assigned throughout the year and have a good attendance in class; and although I did attempt the exam seriously I feel like the quality of my responses in the exam is quite low to the degree that they might barely satisfy the course outcomes, and probably be seen as band 2-3 responses. Would you guys say there is a relatively big chance that I might get a N award warning for English this year?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I am aware, warnings and subsequently an N award (the technical term for which is N determination) are primarily issued on grounds of non-completion, such as failing to submit an assessment task, or possibly if a student does not demonstrate sustained diligence and application in class (for example, not engaging in class activities). They are not issued on the basis of unfavourable performance. Here, I refer to this piece of information:

"A warning is not issued for work that may be below the standard of which a student is capable. Teachers apply a grading system (A – E) associated with benchmarked standards to individual student work."
I will also note personal experience. When I was in year 11, I wanted to drop either Earth and Environmental Science or Information Processes and Technology before starting year 12. Knowing that year 11 assessment tasks/exams do not count towards HSC results or ATAR, I decided to do minimal preparation for the Preliminary exam of each subject, and that I would keep the subject that I achieve the higher mark in. I obviously failed both exams (32% in EES and 49% in IPT) and dropped EES as a result (then went on to achieve a band 6 in HSC IPT). Most importantly, I did not receive any sort of warning.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)