GG - Sydney uni scholarship (1 Viewer)

Rawf

HSC
Thank you for applying for a 2013 University of Sydney scholarship (Merit and Entry). Although your application was of a high standard, I'm sorry to let you know that you were not successful. Don't take this decision as a negative assessment of your record of achievement. It is simply a reflection of the strong competition for these scholarships – the quality of applications was outstanding.

I encourage you to apply to study at the University. We understand the big financial commitment involved, so we offer a wide range of services and support to help you get started and get the most out of studying with us.

On Info Day – 3 January 2013 – you can explore the University and speak to staff and students about your options before you finalise your UAC preferences for the main-round offers. For more information, visit our Start website.

Once again, thank you for your interest in our scholarship. We hope to see you at the University of Sydney.

Yours sincerelyBen Alfred
Senior Policy Officer
The University of Sydney
GG. Wasn't really planning on going to usyd anyways but oh well. I'm just wondering, how did they make the decision without even looking at my HSC marks? my ATAR estimate was 95 (sufficient enough for a scholarship).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not just the ATAR estimate though-they would be interviewing people not only with a 95+ expected, but the highest calibre of extra curriculars too. I assume Commerce is one of the most popular scholarships for Merit/Entry too.

ANd if your heart is on UNSW, you can't be too upset, getting the scholarship may have prompted you to make a decision you'd regret based on money rather than degree (UNSW is a great Commerce uni!).

Rawf

HSC
It's not just the ATAR estimate though-they would be interviewing people not only with a 95+ expected, but the highest calibre of extra curriculars too. I assume Commerce is one of the most popular scholarships for Merit/Entry too.

ANd if your heart is on UNSW, you can't be too upset, getting the scholarship may have prompted you to make a decision you'd regret based on money rather than degree (UNSW is a great Commerce uni!).
Oh, they have interviews? lmao i'm so clueless about these things. And yeah, tbh I don't really care :p I just thought they'd decide after the results come out haha.
I was thinking about it the other day - ie. the situation if i get a scholarship at usyd but not at unsw but i get into unsw (1st preference), I'd still go to UNSW because at the end of the day it really comes down to what's better in the long run.

At the time when I wrote my scholarship entries they were all pretty rubbish and mediocre because HSC was so close and we had like 1-2 days left to hand in the forms, and I also don't have many academic achievements/awards so there's really nothing to make me stand out from the rest of the kids tryna get a scholarship.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it depends on the faculty. And that's exactly the philosophy you should have for uni. Course, not uni, location or prestige first.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
my ATAR estimate was 95 (sufficient enough for a scholarship).
Am I the only one who thinks this statement is mental?
If 95 is sufficient for a scholarship at USYD how much money do you think they throw around to students?!?

Rawf

HSC
If 95 is sufficient for a scholarship at USYD how much money do you think they throw around to students?!?
Yeah but you might get higher, who knows? it's only an estimate lmao.. i know people with like 80 ATAR estimates who applied.

neontiger

HSC
Yeah but you might get higher, who knows? it's only an estimate lmao.. i know people with like 80 ATAR estimates who applied.
Current USYD scholarship recipient here - the quoted ATAR cutoffs on the website are waaaaaaay too low! For all faculties except the Business School (who give out a lot of scholarships), most scholarship recipients get ATARs over 99. Business School most get over 98. You also need a pretty damn impressive range of EC's - one of my friends applied to Arts last year, ended up with an ATAR of 99.8 but had minimal EC's and didn't even get shortlisted for an Arts scholarship. It's tough. :/

bladeys

HSC
N/A
LOL mate anyone can apply, but that doesnt mean youre gonna get one..

Neontiger's comment sums up my point

Current USYD scholarship recipient here - the quoted ATAR cutoffs on the website are waaaaaaay too low! For all faculties except the Business School (who give out a lot of scholarships), most scholarship recipients get ATARs over 99. Business School most get over 98. You also need a pretty damn impressive range of EC's - one of my friends applied to Arts last year, ended up with an ATAR of 99.8 but had minimal EC's and didn't even get shortlisted for an Arts scholarship. It's tough. :/
Im not sure why you thought 95 was sufficient for a scholarship LOL

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
But they won't throw the money to every 95er-good extracurricular, leadership etc. maybe thought to whether rural or not etc.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

It really depends on the scholarship which you're applying for, you could probably get a top scholarship at UWS with that right? Also, UTS's Accounting scholarship usually accept people with atars around 95 ish, however i have heard stories of people with high 80's also getting it. In the end, it really depends on the whole package which the student offers (leadership and communication skills, EC, atar etc) and not solely just their atar.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
It really depends on the scholarship which you're applying for, you could probably get a top scholarship at UWS with that right? Also, UTS's Accounting scholarship usually accept people with atars around 95 ish, however i have heard stories of people with high 80's also getting it. In the end, it really depends on the whole package which the student offers (leadership and communication skills, EC, atar etc) and not solely just their atar.
What youre saying is true, but remember this is for a USYD scholarship. Find me a person who received a scholarship at USYD with an ATAR of 95 (not counting those who received theirs once they were already at USYD). And yes its the whole package, i know some people with atars of 99.6+ who didnt get the scholarship they applied for at USYD

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
What youre saying is true, but remember this is for a USYD scholarship. Find me a person who received a scholarship at USYD with an ATAR of 95 (not counting those who received theirs once they were already at USYD). And yes its the whole package, i know some people with atars of 99.6+ who didnt get the scholarship they applied for at USYD
Obviously not for USYD, that's a bit optimistic but for other uni's you would be in with a chance.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, but there's more at play than the ATAR score... Some people have representated internationally for sport, public speaking etc.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Yes, but there's more at play than the ATAR score... Some people have representated internationally for sport, public speaking etc.
Yea i know this is all true, but I dont think youre seeing my point

My point is that OP is silly for thinking that he could have gotten a scholarship at USYD with an ATAR of 95 without outstanding extra curriculars such as playing sport internationally, I make this assumption because OP has not once mentioned have strong extra curriculars

Rawf

HSC

Well they wouldn't write that you have to have an ATAR above 95 to get a scholarship then. I didn't write that my ATAR estimation was 95 either (my principal said mid-90's, not 95 so it can vary), different people give different estimates too so you can't judge solely by that - also can change during the exams. Anyways, it really doesn't matter to me lolol I was just wondering why they didn't wait till the HSC results came out. I just signed up for every scholarship I could at the time.
The scholarships I applied for at UNSW are still 'pending'... I'm assuming they're going to wait till the HSC results/ATARs are released?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

My point is that OP is silly for thinking that he could have gotten a scholarship at USYD with an ATAR of 95 without outstanding extra curriculars such as playing sport internationally, I make this assumption because OP has not once mentioned have strong extra curriculars
In my opinion, I don't think they should of even applied for it seeing as they commented before saying they would chose UNSW without a scholarship over a USYD scholarship. I'm all up for keeping your options open but why bother wasting not only your own personal time but others if you know from the start you wouldn't accept the scholarship even if you managed to get it, just my 2c.

Rawf

HSC

I didn't think I would get the scholarship... I was just signing up for all the scholarships I could find, my year advisor encouraged me to because she said barely anyone applies for them and they just go to waste -_- I just thought they'd wait for more information about results and such (wasn't expecting a reply so fast).

Rawf

HSC
In my opinion, I don't think they should of even applied for it seeing as they commented before saying they would chose UNSW without a scholarship over a USYD scholarship. I'm all up for keeping your options open but why bother wasting not only your own personal time but others if you know from the start you wouldn't accept the scholarship even if you managed to get it, just my 2c.
My 2nd and 4th preference is in Sydney uni (unsw is 1st and 3rd). I might not even get into unsw... no one can really tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)