GMOs Pros & Cons? (1 Viewer)

Maddie3

HSC
Does any body know any pros and cons on Genetically Modified Organisms?

Deadhead

HSC
N/A
Hi, I have a list from one of my uni lectures, but its buried somewhere and I can't find it, so here's as well as I can remember-

For:
- Genetic modification can lead to reduced use of chemicals eg pesticides, herbicides as resistant varieties of crop are grown
- With growing global demands for food, the future of agriculture is going to rely on producing more food/Ha, therefore crops modifed to give greater yields will be required
- It may be possible in the future to reduce water use of crops by inserting a gene from drought tolerant plants into commercially viable crops (eg native grasses)
- In the same vein as above it may also be possible to engineer crops requiring less fertilizer inputs

Against:
- negative public perception regarding GM foods (based on absolutely nothing I might add)

I'm afraid thats all I can remember, the big thing I got was that there is very little wrong with GM foods, just alarmist people talking crap about things they know nothing about

HSC
Would have to agree, the positives seem to far outweigh the negatives. With the introduction of GM Canola this season though, many see contamination of the normal canola with neighboring GM crops as a concern. Also producers are concerned that the premium price for non - GM canola will be lost, but this isn't founded (take Canada for example).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)