GPA calculation (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ok im a bit confused as to how they calculate GPA
my scenario: i got 3 passes and a credit during the 1st semester, and im hoping to get 2 D's and a HD during this semester
the problem is which method they calculate it
1) they take your gpa for all the subjects youve done for the first year, assuming theyre all equal credit points and then divide by the number of subjects you do in your first year
ie 4+4+4+5+6+6+7/7= 5.14

2) they take your gpa for the subjects you do during the first semester and the second semester, calculate that then average it out
ie 4+4+4+5/4= 4.25
6+6+7/3= 6.33
then 6.33+4.25/2= 5.29

although there might not seem a huge variation, it might mean the matter of me gettin a transfer or not, so any kind of help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Musk said:
if that is the case then here is how it goes

[ (4 * 6) + (4 * 6) +(4 * 6) + (5 * 6) + ( 6* 6 )+( 6 * 6)+ (7*6)]/(7 * 6)*

* im assuming all subjects are 6 UOC

216/42 = 5.14
ohok thanks for that man
really appreciate it
damn that means i need a d average this semester :(

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah but my UAI is only 80 so i need to do well still plus got a personal statement which might come in a bit handy

hotpot

HSC
im just curious... to transfer u need to complete a full-time year right? But if u have a total of 7 subjects each worth 6 units, then that gives 42 units. But doesnt most courses have a total of 48 units?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah but full time is 18UOC and over, so technically im still a full time student, thus being able to apply for a transfer
minimum you need to apply is 36/48 UOC and i have achieved that

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hmm, i was under the impression that for a GPA to b considered, u'd had to do 36uoc minimum? and that was across all unis?
if im wrong..what does usyd take? cuz..ill only have 36uoc at the end of year..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You should seek advice from the particular university.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
Usyd replied ( finally)
the lady said that 36uoc is enough to transfer as a 1fte student.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hopefully b science in applied chem forensic science 1st pref
biomedical science in forensic bio -2nd
biomedical science all uts-3rd

how about you? i heard you wanna transfer

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
UTS Ey. I was thinking about transferring to Sydney doing the same degree (Science/education). I've sent in the application, and I'm a little over the GPA required to get in with my S1 results so I guess it's all up to my semester 2 results and if I really want to or not, and I don't know if I do.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
whats the difference between doing sci/edu degree between unsw and usyd?
majors?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Not much. USyd puts a much heavier emphasis on the education part, whereas UNSW puts more emphasis on the science part. It's that factor that makes me want to stay at UNSW, because science is just a lot more interesting. Truth be told though, the main reason to go to USyd is because it's the uni that I always wanted to go to. Dunno if I do now. We'll see.

Good luck!

bonger88

HSC
N/A
Sorry didnt know where to put this question.. do ppl know what happens to your GPA if youre currently doing a combined degree, complete one of them after 3 years, then discontinue the other? As in you only finish one degree with the intention of beginning a post-graduate course... would the marks from the units of study from the degree you never completed be counted in your GPA

izzy88

HSC
Sorry didnt know where to put this question.. do ppl know what happens to your GPA if youre currently doing a combined degree, complete one of them after 3 years, then discontinue the other? As in you only finish one degree with the intention of beginning a post-graduate course... would the marks from the units of study from the degree you never completed be counted in your GPA
i swear you posted this in a different forum...:confused: and i tried to answer it....

i'm fairly sure that any units you complete during your first degree count to your GPA. eg. doing an arts/law degree, any law subjects you completed in your arts degree will count towards your GPA (otherwise you would be counting your GPA on less subjects).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)