Graduate Medicine at Sydney university (1 Viewer)

DebuOfCourse

Hi,

Had a few questions regarding the graduate med course at Sydney Uni.

Most science courses, for example the medical science degree, is 3 years without honours. Do you need honours to do graduate medicine?

Also, if you do an ordinary science degree as opposed to medical science, is it harder to get into graduate MBBS?

Also, how difficult is it and what is the procedure to transfer from an ordinary science degree into Medical science or a higher order science degree?

Thanks,

Dev

FLR-IT

no you dont need honours to get into medicine, but it doesnt hurt to have it, i think u get preference if u have it

from wat ive heard no preference is given to the degree u do, it is more dependent on ur GPA, the medicine test u do (GMSTAT i think) and also ur interview if u make it that far

from normal science course to med sci, they will usually let u transfer into the 2nd year if u picked the same common 1st year

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey does anybody know whether grafuate medicine schemes are harder to make it into than undergraduate?!

hgpstar

Looking at the grades side of things, inasero, i imagine it would ba easier to get in as a gradute. I *think* you need a credit average, which is a hell of a lot easier to get than a 99.xx uai! Not sure about how UMAT and GAMSTAT (is that it?) compare though, or the interviews.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes your words speak wisdom...but then again gamsat could be a real bummer

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
yes thats right no preference is given for any typical degree but it does help to have a scientific background as GAMSAT is made up of first yr bio and chem and yr12 level physics. Acedemic standing will not be given for doing the graduate course even if you have done similar courses in youre initial degree. Your GAMSAT scores are Valid for 2 yrs and you can only attempt the test in your final yr. The last 3 yrs of your degree will be used for the calculation of your GPA so if you did badly in first yr try to get into hons to rectify it!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i heard from the open day today that 50% of med science graduates gets in2 USyd Med, is that true? or is it just 2 get us 2 join...

also, the entrance in2 the USyd Med, being a stage by stage, passing-a-gate-at-a-time process, does that mean that how well you do in each criteria doesnt matter, as long as you pass? eg. a credit avg have no difference with distinction avg, and how much you pass the gamsat is irrelevant???

edit:
and apparently u can attempt GAMSAT or so ive heard in any year but the score is only accepted for two years and the latest result takes preference. and it is different to the umat, it contains 3 sections, the 1st 2 being 2 generic essays about things like love or peace or etc and the 3rd being an analytical section where you are given criterias and u have apply critical thinking or something like that

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I was told today that the GAMSAT is really hard... but then, you only need 50 - 60 to be given an interview. After that, 1/3 (roughly) of the interviewed get in..

The GAMSAT is more logic and reasoning, but the chick at USYD told me if you get a year 12 science text book (didn't say which one.. I'm assuming a combination) and get the basics, your sweet. Half of the paper is english, written reasoning ect.

She also said, in the interview the way to do well is pretty much to be able to have alot to talk about - pretty much, do as much as you can in your undergrad years. Travel was also a very big positive, as was a wanting to work in a rural/regional community. She was very very helpful (The only person at USYD I liked ;)) So, as long as you have alot to talk about in the interview, you should be OK.

As for the degree, it's irrelivent. She told me to do want I was passionate about rather than something like Med. science because I wanted to do Medicine at the end. Do a degree on something you love and you will do well, because all thats taken into account is you GPA.

LOL,after talking to the lady, it's something I know I really wanna do :)

DebuOfCourse

That's pretty interesting information White Rabbit. I was planning on taking a similar initative to get information of the sort, but I didn't get past the lectures to talk to anyone THAT helpful. The medical science guy I spoke to at the MedSci stall in the big tent was very by the book and a bit reserved as well.

What I do wonder is the genuinity in what they say when it comes to selecting your undergrad course. I mean, even at the end of year 10 a lot of advisors suggest that you pick subjects absolutely according to your interests, contrary to the popular approach of having a balance between interests and good scaling subjects, but the unquestionable truth is that selecting subjects strategically definitely helps towards a slightly better UAI. As much as we deny that, a credit in Physics compared to a credit in Food Tech is still more credible towards UAI. I wonder if the same sort of thing applies with undergrad courses?

In either case, it doesn't really bother me to much since I'd still be interested in doing Med Science regardless of future uni opportunities, but for example, if I was to do a BSc instead, would it be considered a lower standrad degree then Med Science and hence would preference be given to a med science student's credit average over a BSc student's credit average?

I wonder. :confused:

- Dev

Originally posted by White Rabbit
I was told today that the GAMSAT is really hard... but then, you only need 50 - 60 to be given an interview. After that, 1/3 (roughly) of the interviewed get in..

The GAMSAT is more logic and reasoning, but the chick at USYD told me if you get a year 12 science text book (didn't say which one.. I'm assuming a combination) and get the basics, your sweet. Half of the paper is english, written reasoning ect.

She also said, in the interview the way to do well is pretty much to be able to have alot to talk about - pretty much, do as much as you can in your undergrad years. Travel was also a very big positive, as was a wanting to work in a rural/regional community. She was very very helpful (The only person at USYD I liked ;)) So, as long as you have alot to talk about in the interview, you should be OK.

As for the degree, it's irrelivent. She told me to do want I was passionate about rather than something like Med. science because I wanted to do Medicine at the end. Do a degree on something you love and you will do well, because all thats taken into account is you GPA.

LOL,after talking to the lady, it's something I know I really wanna do :)

pri

HSC
N/A
look a high distinction average in performance studies, would be just as good as a high distinction average in med science if both did very well in gamsat and interview

more med science ppl get in because usually they are the ones that apply for grad med, and also they dont have to study as hard for the GAMSAT as they already have advanced knowledge of chem phys and bio.

jnothman

dismember
HSC
About getting into GMP, it doesn't depend on the course you've done, and you could say it's easier to get into than UNSW or maybe UTS undergraduate programmes, or is certainly a vialbe option if you don't make it in to one of the above.

One of the reasons it's a viable option is because it IS done a few years into your university career, when you have a degree and are experienced in university study.

Therefore they only expect people to apply that still have the dream of medicine after 3 or four years of uni study, unlike ug courses.

Nonetheless it is better to have a bit of grounding in some areas like physiology, biochemistry or neuroscience just to take a little weight off one's shoulders in the start of the GMP, as none of these are prerequisite.

- Joel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)