Greek World 500-440 BC: The Persian Wars or The Delian League (1 Viewer)

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
Howdy.
Just wanted to know what everyone would be willing to answer with the essay question this year?

I'm going to Delian League because I can't make anything stick in my head about The Persian Wars. For my trial, I was only 2 people did The Delian League question (out of 96 AH students).
The questions were:
Explain the reasons for Greek victory during the Persian Wars
Assess the role/s of Cimon and Arisitides.

I felt pretty darn lucky to have studied the Delian League.

cassiecocaine

HSC
I've always studied both, in case I get a shit question for one of them so I can do the other. But I'm being told to choose one to study, so I save more time and get more in, but I can't choose now...

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
Yeah, considering the shocking questions from last year.
I was so set on Delian League, but I finished my notes recently, and I realised that most of it crossovers into other dot points and stuff.
And, I'm not so good when my notes are like that...I end up getting confused.

Book Freak

Whovian
HSC
I'm probably going to do Delian league, for our half yearly there was only one question (!) it was near enough to 'Why did Greece go to war with Persia?' and i was one of the only people to do well, cos most people changed it around, gotta admit it is a difficult question when you think about it.

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
I'm probably going to do Delian league, for our half yearly there was only one question (!) it was near enough to 'Why did Greece go to war with Persia?' and i was one of the only people to do well, cos most people changed it around, gotta admit it is a difficult question when you think about it.
Wait, are you saying that that was a Delian League question?

Dratini

HSC
hmm. i'm pretty good as an all-rounder and i don't have a preference. it'll depend on the question they give us.

in my half yearlies i did the delian League (one of 2 out of 7) but in your case i would have done Persian wars. as i said, it depends on the question.

Vespers

HSC
Is anyone else gonna risk it and just focus on the Persian Wars? I don't think I have any choice at this point... :s

harry4

HSC
there also sparta and athens relations as well remember mr moo

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
there also sparta and athens relations as well remember mr moo
True, but one (out of the two) of the dot points was last years question- Explain the impact of the Persian Wars on Sparta/Athens.

So, they could potentially ask us "The nature of the Peloponnesian League", plus some others that they've never asked from "2. Growth of Athens into Athenian Empire".

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
we did this topic last, and were only half way through it when we sat our trials.
our teacher had modified the exam so that there was the question on greek unity and the other was about why teh greeks won (something she had helped us study for) funny story: her modification of a piece of paper over the delian league- flew off!
so our year struggled with the unity question, the highest was me with 24/25 (sorry had to brag there :) )

some people tried answering the delian league question even though we hadnt even started that topic...

Summerbreeze

HSC
Definetley the Persian Wars... we did a heap more work on that than we did on the Delian League, not to mention a whole assessment dedicated to it...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
True, but one (out of the two) of the dot points was last years question- Explain the impact of the Persian Wars on Sparta/Athens.

So, they could potentially ask us "The nature of the Peloponnesian League", plus some others that they've never asked from "2. Growth of Athens into Athenian Empire".
Thats essentially a delian league question in disguise ;)

If you look at both the delian league and the persian wars you should be confident, the peloponnesian league is not examined anywhere near as often. And to summerbreeze, i would be careful with only planning to prepare for the persian wars, so many people got screwed last year for doing that.

Last edited:

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
Last years question was horrendous!
I have a feeling that it's going to have to do with "Changing relationships with allies" or "transformation of the delian league"
Essentially, you're talking about the same thing...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I have a feeling that it's going to have to do with "Changing relationships with allies" or "transformation of the delian league"
I got hella lucky last year cuz i did plenty of work on the delian league, but i really didnt like that they focussed an entire question on athens relationship with sparta, that was just plain cruel, it pales in comparison to the syllabus requirements for the persian wars. No way in hell i could have pulled a whole essay on the peloponnesian league.

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
I got hella lucky last year cuz i did plenty of work on the delian league, but i really didnt like that they focussed an entire question on athens relationship with sparta, that was just plain cruel, it pales in comparison to the syllabus requirements for the persian wars. No way in hell i could have pulled a whole essay on the peloponnesian league.
Yeah, just briefly looking at my notes, I wouldn't be able to write a very convincing answer for Athen/Spartan relations.
Somewhere in your notes (regarding the First Peloponnesian War), did you mention the Battle of Tanagra (sp?) or the Battle of Oenphyta (<- no idea how to spell it).

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yeah, just briefly looking at my notes, I wouldn't be able to write a very convincing answer for Athen/Spartan relations.
Somewhere in your notes (regarding the First Peloponnesian War), did you mention the Battle of Tanagra (sp?) or the Battle of Oenphyta (<- no idea how to spell it).

Yeah i did, Tanagra particularly, but if you're looking for note fillers i can't help, we really only briefed over Sparta and my notes are long gone.

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
Yeah i did, Tanagra particularly, but if you're looking for note fillers i can't help, we really only briefed over Sparta and my notes are long gone.
No, I wasn't. I just wanqted to know, because I have it in my notes, but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
No, I wasn't. I just wanqted to know, because I have it in my notes, but wasn't sure if it was necessary.
I think it's good to have a bit of info on the big points regarding Sparta, the Peloponnesion league etc so if you need to you can include a couple of paragraphs in your essay, but i wouldn't obsess over it, i don't think they will ask a full essay on it for a while. There were a lot of complaints last year that it was bias towards those who did Sparta as their society, not that i particularly agree with that but anyway, there are more important issues to consider.

Last edited:

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
we did heaps on the delian league but unsure
i find studying about the persian wars much more interesting.

guess i'm just going to try and cover everything =\

stunner

HSC
I have a feeling that it's going to have to do with &quot;Changing relationships with allies&quot; or &quot;transformation of the delian league&quot;
Wasn't last years question "Explain the changing relationships with Athens and their allies during this period?"... I highly doubt it'll be a transformation question, needless to say.I think it's going to be Assess the Greek Victory/persian loss, Assess the preparations, Role/Contribution of Themistocles, Impact on Athens of the Persain wars... but if I had to put my money in something I reckon it would be preparations.As for the Delian league question- I think it'll be Changing relationship with Sparta and Athens, Comparasson of the Pelopenessian and Delian league or Democracy.As another heads up Make Sure you know how to answer "Explain" and "Assess"... because I'm 99% sure they'll be the directive terms.Yeah so Good luck tomorrow. Don't freak out too much if they through a curly at us... because remember the entire Ancient History people doing that topic will be in the same boat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)