Greens new policies (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
On the bus this morning I heard the new policies for the Greens. They want Marijuana and ecstasy to be sold over the counter (that'll get them support from Nimbin among other places). They also want people to ride more bikes, and eat less meat.

What do you think about the Greens new policies? Or just think of the Greens in general?

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I really think you're oversimplifying, wanting more people to ride bikes and eat less meat is not a policy per se, merely part of their wider view for conservation and protection of the environment.

As well, I think their stance on drugs is a good one. Their stance is one of harm minimisation i.e. they have gotten over the irrefutable fact that humans will always take psychotropic substances and are now determined to prevent the damage that our current prohibitionist regime causes. By educating people about drugs and providing them at pharmaceutical-grade qualities, lives will be saved.

I am all for the Greens, I'm not going to vote for them but I think our current two-party system is not working too well. The Greens are rapidly accruing popularity and this is putting in check the two major parties who now realise they must revise certain policies or they will lose votes. People who say they don't care about the Greens because they can never win are ignorant, a strong third party can be very powerful even though they may never win an election.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I think the greens are just a bunch of dicks. I agree with part of their drug policy however. I believe marijuana should be legalised...but only through a prescription...like the greens said. However, legalising ecstacy is just stupid. If your gonna do that you may aswell legalise firearms.

The meat and bike issue will never happen. Aussies love meat and love their cars...simple as that.

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
The greens never said they want to legalise ecstacy, Costello just said that to scaremonger.

Their actual policy is:

3.25 investigations of options for the regulated supply of social drugs such as ecstasy in controlled environments, where information will be available about health and other effects of drug use"

Which is just acceptingt he fact that people will take drugs, so its in our best interests not to ingore drug use, but to properly control its use and inform people of its effects. Its really not that extreme.

rumour

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
On the bus this morning I heard the new policies for the Greens. They want Marijuana and ecstasy to be sold over the counter (that'll get them support from Nimbin among other places). They also want people to ride more bikes, and eat less meat.

What do you think about the Greens new policies? Or just think of the Greens in general?
Why do they want people to eat less meat?
How are they going to get people to do that?

I don't think their drug policy will happen.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
None of it will happen...cause hopefully they wont get any power. The only way they will is through creating a coalition with Labor...but I doubt that will happen.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Enlightened_One said:

haha at least the Greens are adapting to their demographics: uni students.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I'm not oversimplifying anything Samos. That's exactly how I heard it on NXFM.

Anyway, there's no way anyone but the two major parties will win the election and the Greens know this. So instead of making policies that may gain all the peoples favour they aim for those they are certain will win support, enough to make them have a little sway in the House of Representatives. The minorities they are aiming for are druggos and greenies.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You do need parties like the Greens and Democrats in the Senate in order to make sure a whole bunch of crap legislation doesn't get through.

lengstar

HSC
big NO to drugs. no way.
seriously i thought they were going great but these policies shit me.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
That kind of dogmatic, narrow mindset just shows you are a very ignorant person.
Every further comment you make in this thread only seeks to highlight your subpar intelligence.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, ideology and postmodernism prevent people from being able to say "shit, I was wrong". Science allows this, so does logic.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:

i have to agree with soma...

zero tolerance to drugs is proven not to work...any research into this area shows that is has failed and not failed by a little bit...but failed overwhelmingly...zero tolerance policies often stem from narrow minded and oversimplistic community outrage about drugs and pollies having no choice but to yield to the public pressure and conservative pressure groups

...all it does is increase crime, lead to unsafe injective habits that lead to the spread of diseases...it also results in more discarded needles for people to tred on...it also pushes drug use away from the public centres and into the subrubs near schools...

also studies have show than cutting supply of drugs only results in those users going other forms of drugs or getting more money through crime in order pay for the increase price of the drug due to lack of demand...

every time they have a major drug bust resulting in lower demend the crime rate out at cabramatta skyrockets..

you have to work on harm minimisation...zero tolerance results in a higher crime rate, more dead people (and yes kids who deserve a 2nd chance), more organised crime and greater spread of diseases through sharing of needles
Asqy, have you ever been to Amsterdam?

Last edited:

LoUiE SmOoiE

valentines day sux
HSC
The meat thing is just plain stupid, the bike thing is a possibility in some ways and other ways its just pathetic...but the thing that is appealing to me is the drug program. I have no worry for pot sold at chemists or whatever but just making sure that they have prescriptions, because the way i see it, the illegal substance cannabis is just like alcohol and tobacco, it can affect your lungs and cause cancer like tobacco, it is addictive aswell like tobacco and you also take cannabis like you would tobacco (smoked)....so why is cannabis seen as bad? because it affects your brain cells...now clearly to me, speaking from personal experience, marijuana is seen to me just a way of relaxing and having a bit of fun...isnt that what alcohol does? alcohol affects you prolly even worse than pot can. Because pot makes your body more slow as it is a depressent drug...makes you laugh and be happy, relaxs you and calms you down so that your in a trance of enjoyment...and yes alcohol does make you relaxed and yes puts you in enjoyment aswell...so why is marijuana seen as bad and is illegal? alcohol can make you do things that you wouldnt normally do and so does pot, so why is alcohol accepted in society but marijuana isnt when they both can make you completely out of your personal control? If there worried about other peoples safety, well drink driving can be the same as driving while stoned..Drinking causes liver cancer, heart problems etc..and marijuana causes loss of brain cells, lung cancer etc..so why is it that alcohol is permitted and marijuana is not? so therefore, i think it is fair to put marijuana out for sale....imagine the governments earnings? coz there so greedy! people over the age of 18 should (by choice) be able to buy cannabis...even if not for sale over counters, they should make it that they can smoke it in there own homes or grow it for personal use and not be fined or imprisonment set upon themselves...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
I'm not oversimplifying anything Samos. That's exactly how I heard it on NXFM.
But thats the point. These attacks are part of a scare campaign being reported throughout much of the Australian press. (And emphasised in News Corp publications, unsurprisingly.)

Theres much difference between examining options and 'ecstasy for all', as some would have it. Sadly, this induced hysteria seems to be working in parts. :(

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Legalise firearms and weed.

Keep X illegal.

Make cigrettes illegal.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
no...do you know what happened there...interestingly their crimes rate are nice and low...
When everything is legal, there will obviously be less crime :uhhuh:. Its not pleasant, trust me.

Judging from the bicycles as well though, Bob Brown must really love the place ;)

cayte

LS: cannabis is not physiologically addictive. Anything can become habitual, but THC does not create a dependency.

Jago: Eccies are 'harmless' if prepped properly. The risk is when they are cut with other drugs, combined with other drugs or taken irresponsibly (like anything). I think there's too much control in society based on an assumption of how one ought to behave. Give me free will and independence please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)