Half yearly exams! (1 Viewer)

tloos

HSC
I have my half yearly exams for my Year 12 subjects fast approaching, so in approximately 3 weeks from this coming Monday. With three weeks to go, what is a routine/how much should i look to be doing to kill these exams. My subjects are: Adv math, adv english, physics, biology, 2 unit r.e. and PDH/Pe. I come home from school/gym at around 6 and usually start at 7. How much should I be doing per night, what should I focus on to smash these exams and what type of study should I be doing (past papers, comprising notes etc.

Kolmias

HSC
**When studying:**

+ Turn off your devices. If you need to use them in your study, get an app blocker (for phone, plenty of options there on Google Play or App Store, for computer, StayFocused is a Chrome extension which lets you block websites for a certain amount of the time so you can get your work done).

+ Actually study. No dawdling or procrastination. Have an area in ur house where you go just to study and nothing else. Your brain will associate studying with that place.

+ Do a shit ton of past papers. Reading over notes is shitty studying and is really ineffective. Still do it tho but focus on past papers

+ Try and get some notes from the Resources section of Bored of Studies. Don't spend too much time making your own notes.

+ Have set time periods of study. Try and do 50 minutes studying, 10 minutes break.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
**When studying:**

+ Turn off your devices. If you need to use them in your study, get an app blocker (for phone, plenty of options there on Google Play or App Store, for computer, StayFocused is a Chrome extension which lets you block websites for a certain amount of the time so you can get your work done).

+ Actually study. No dawdling or procrastination. Have an area in ur house where you go just to study and nothing else. Your brain will associate studying with that place.

+ Do a shit ton of past papers. Reading over notes is shitty studying and is really ineffective. Still do it tho but focus on past papers

+ Try and get some notes from the Resources section of Bored of Studies. Don't spend too much time making your own notes.

+ Have set time periods of study. Try and do 50 minutes studying, 10 minutes break.
I think making your own notes and spending a lot of time on them is important because you actually write it in a way you understand it and if you can write it in your own words it shows you understand the content

tloos

HSC
first year 12 assessment marks:
english:90%
physics: 100%
pdh: 60%
maths:40%
biology: 80%
religion: 96%

but these assessments were not a true reflection as such. I feel as if Maths, Phyiscs and PDH are the subjects that I find difficult. Maths I have never really performed amazingly in since year 11, and i have some catching up to do.

tloos

HSC
What marks are you getting in your other subjects and what's your worst one?

but these assessments were not a true reflection as such. I feel as if Maths, Phyiscs and PDH are the subjects that I find difficult. Maths I have never really performed amazingly in since year 11, and i have some catching up to do. Worst one is maths

Kolmias

HSC

but these assessments were not a true reflection as such. I feel as if Maths, Phyiscs and PDH are the subjects that I find difficult. Maths I have never really performed amazingly in since year 11, and i have some catching up to do. Worst one is maths
That's great marks! Focus your study on maths then

HSC
OP, when you say these scores were not necessarily 'true reflections', do you mean that the assessments themselves were easier than an ordinary, run-of-the-mill HSC exam? Because if this is the case, you might be got a tad off-guard with the half-yearlies because trust me, it's a totally difference experience.

Accordingly, the best way to prepare as Kolmias said is to just smash those past papers, particularly for the subjects you're unsure of. It's a bit early but I'd also try submitting some practice essays to teachers for feedback, maybe even a redo of an earlier assessment task if you haven't done so already; I know this worked well for me during my half-yearlies. If you're glued to your device, a tactic that really worked for me was setting a 50 minute timer (acting as a study block) with 10 minutes set aside at the end for a break. Rinse and repeat.

You should try and tailor your study pattern to your sleeping routine too, adjusting it according to the unique requirements of your body. In my case I only needed a good 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night and I was good to go; I used this to my advantage. If you're ok with less sleep or can wake up later, a 7 PM start is ok, provided the study you do is effective, targeted and sticks with you.

Jakulore

HSC
If you have a library near you, that can work as well! I remember in the study period coming up to the HSC and during the HSC I practically lived at my local library, which was good for individual study and for group study!

If possible, could you ask your teachers for past Half yearly exams? That could give you an idea of the difficulty and what types of questions they will ask.

But of course, as others have said, past papers and notes are key. I recommend going over any notes you have, then attempting a past paper, if there is anything you don't know, write it down, then keep going. Do this as often as you can, more so for subjects you are having difficulty with e.g. PDHPE and Maths!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)