Hard? Perms and Combs Q (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
I'm just struggling to wrap my head around a solution for this question -

Ten male friends and six female friends go to the cinema and sit in a row. Everyone just sits at random. What is the probability that no two females are sitting next to each other?

All help will be appreciated! :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Unlike braintic and InteGrand, I have a morbid fear of combinatorics. I find it hard to twist my brain this way and that way to see a solution.

But if the answer is something like 10! x 11C6 x 6!
I'll provide a solution.

Edit

I was providing the number of ways the 6 girls can sit without being adjacent.

So required probability = [10! x 11C6 x 6!]/16! = 10! x 11P6 / 16! as provided by InteGrand.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I'm just struggling to wrap my head around a solution for this question -

Ten male friends and six female friends go to the cinema and sit in a row. Everyone just sits at random. What is the probability that no two females are sitting next to each other?

All help will be appreciated! :)
We can use the 'insertion method'. Place the 10 males first (10! ways) and have 'gaps', i.e.

* M * M * M * ... * M *.

Each '*' represents a space between males, or on the sides. There are a total of 11 *'s.

We need 6 females to be placed into these gaps, with at most one female in each gap, which is done in 11P6 ways.

So the probability is ((10!)•(11P6))/(16!).

braintic

HSC
N/A
In general, with b boys and g girls, the probability is:

(b+1)C(g) / (b+g)C(g)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Maybe the mods can bring back those threads again and lock them (they brought them back before I think).
Once a thread or comment is deemed important enough to reinstate, the deleter should be warned not to delete it again (unless there are other mitigating circumstances such as identifying information or .......? ).

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
In general, with b boys and g girls, the probability is:

(b+1)C(g) / (b+g)C(g)
What type of questions could I apply this formula to? Is it only questions with this template where 2 girls don't sit together? Also, would you even get marks for just this lol.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What type of questions could I apply this formula to? Is it only questions with this template where 2 girls don't sit together? Also, would you even get marks for just this lol.
You would need to explain the reasoning, not just quote the formula (in other words, derive it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)