Has anyone else observed the completely changed Physics 2019 formula sheets? (1 Viewer)

dcosmo

HSC
N/A
There seems to be 2 versions on the NESA website.

The "old" one had the formulae sheet with headers like motion, force & gravity, waves & thermodynamics, electricity & magnetism, quantum, special relativity & nuclear.

The new one has a single page of formulae. No headings at all. And the formulae are different in nature and content. Two pages have gone to one... and no headings.... it really is a mess.

New formula sheet.JPG

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I'm guessing they wanted to make it more compact, which is a good thing. In the exam, students should know what type of formula is needed to solve the problem, and they can refer to the formula sheet for more details. If they understood the content, then they should be more than capable of figuring out what they need without the headings. In the end, the lack of headings will only disadvantage those who are unprepared and have no clue what they're doing. This is how it's done in university - they just give you a sheet of equations, and you're expected to know what they represent. The ONLY purpose of the formula sheet is just to remove the necessity to memorise formulas (which can be sometimes very long and complex) - the formula sheet is not designed to spoonfeed students who didn't study and have no idea what they're doing.

I haven't touched physics for many many years, and while I can't remember many of those equations, I can still tell what they're used for based on their variables and structure. E.g. Say I might not recognise P = dE/t, but those terms look like power = energy/time, which makes sense since power is energy per unit time, so I don't necessarily need a heading to tell me what it's used for.

Last edited:

dcosmo

HSC
N/A
I'm guessing they wanted to make it more compact, which is a good thing. In the exam, students should know what type of formula is needed to solve the problem, and they can refer to the formula sheet for more details. If they understood the content, then they should be more than capable of figuring out what they need without the headings. In the end, the lack of headings will only disadvantage those who are unprepared and have no clue what they're doing. This is how it's done in university - they just give you a sheet of equations, and you're expected to know what they represent. The ONLY purpose of the formula sheet is just to remove the necessity to memorise formulas (which can be sometimes very long and complex) - the formula sheet is not designed to spoonfeed students who didn't study and have no idea what they're doing.

I haven't touched physics for many many years, and while I can't remember many of those equations, I can still tell what they're used for based on their variables and structure. E.g. Say I might not recognise P = dE/t, but those terms look like power = energy/time, which makes sense since power is energy per unit time, so I don't necessarily need a heading to tell me what it's used for.
The problem is that students had the old format in their recent HSC trials. They have been using them for around 2 years now. Now 5 weeks out from the actual HSC exam there has been a significant change. There are multiple changed formulae. The equation for gravitational potential energy has now gone.

StudyOnly

HSC
I think you have confused the new and old formula sheets. I am fairly sure that the new formula sheet has the headings and split into sections. The old sheet can be found at the end of past papers such as this one (scroll to the end of the paper). I recommend you double check with your teacher.

Isn't this the new one?

dcosmo

HSC
N/A
No, that is the formula sheet that has been used for the past two years. The new one has 2019 "Higher School Certificate Examination" written on the top of it.

StudyOnly

HSC
No, that is the formula sheet that has been used for the past two years. The new one has 2019 "Higher School Certificate Examination" written on the top of it.
But it does have that written on it at the top left...
I'll link it again...

StudyOnly

HSC
Ok so have no clue which one is the right one.........I never realised there were 2....

ABBAS38

HSC
Me neither lol
Ok so have no clue which one is the right one.........I never realised there were 2....
me neither lol but I still thing the one with the headings is the right one the 1st one

ABBAS38

HSC
I guess it won't matter too much. 🤷‍♂️
Personally to me I’d rather have the 1st one as it’s easier but I couldn’t care less tbh as the formulas are still there and if u don’t know which formula your looking for then u haven’t really studied so doesn’t really change for me

StudyOnly

HSC
Personally to me I’d rather have the 1st one as it’s easier but I couldn’t care less tbh as the formulas are still there and if u don’t know which formula your looking for then u haven’t really studied so doesn’t really change for me
Ye, the first one is easier on the eyes

StudyOnly

HSC
PS How is the VR 4 in relation to the ropes and without distances
Just cut the ropes. Draw a horizontal line and there will be 4 cuts. Where the one at the end with a arrow doesn't count (unless it goes up). That is just the process, it doesn't require distances. TBH I don't know why it works but it does.

Hscbuzman

HSC
They took of heaps of the data such as the radius of earth, Wiens constant (b) etc. How special are NESA?

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Surely they can't change it without making the cohort aware of it....
First, they make English compulsory and now this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)