HAST (1 Viewer)

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
Since most selective schools now require a HAST examination as part of the application, how do I prepare for the exam, I saw there was a website for past papers but you can't purchase them, also any tips or advice about the exam would be great :)

Last edited:

tito981

HSC
Hey, with the hast it is normally 4 sections divided into general ability, reading comprehension, writing and mathematics. With the general ability (it may be called something else) when i took it, it was just 30 questions which were just pattern recognition question. e.g. here is 4 pictures, what will the 5th one be? These type of questions are fairly straight forward. reading comprehension is just reading a text, answering questions, same old same old. With writing you get a prompt but unlike English exams where you get 45 mins+, its only about 20 mins. With mathematics it is half math type questions, about year 9 level and the other half is science questions, e.g. state which is a closed circuit, etc (but obv also some harder questions).

With practice i would advise just doing iq tests for pattern recognition for general ability, for the english tests i would just read some short texts and quiz yourself on the knowledge you can retain and for maths i would just go over your year 9 science and math books (btw they never test you on something you might not have learnt at school).

hope this helped :)

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
Hey, with the hast it is normally 4 sections divided into general ability, reading comprehension, writing and mathematics. With the general ability (it may be called something else) when i took it, it was just 30 questions which were just pattern recognition question. e.g. here is 4 pictures, what will the 5th one be? These type of questions are fairly straight forward. reading comprehension is just reading a text, answering questions, same old same old. With writing you get a prompt but unlike English exams where you get 45 mins+, its only about 20 mins. With mathematics it is half math type questions, about year 9 level and the other half is science questions, e.g. state which is a closed circuit, etc (but obv also some harder questions).

With practice i would advise just doing iq tests for pattern recognition for general ability, for the english tests i would just read some short texts and quiz yourself on the knowledge you can retain and for maths i would just go over your year 9 science and math books (btw they never test you on something you might not have learnt at school).

hope this helped :)
Thanks for the advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)