Having a Cry about Optus (1 Viewer)

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
On Friday I decided I needed to go onto a phone plan, because im spending $30-$40 a week on my phone prepaid, and paying premium call rates. So After looking through all the plans available, I decided that Optus were the best. So begins my story of heartache......

I went into town and went to the Strathfield, where the guy had been helping me out. He was like 'Oh sorry, we dont stock the handset that you want' (I wanted a Nokia 7200). I was a bit put off, because he had told me on the phone on Thursday that he had it, and on Friday morning he didnt, but anyway, I crossed the street to go to the Optus world and ask for it there. They didnt have it either. So then I went across the other side of town to the other Optus world and asked for it, and they didnt have it. I was getting really mad by this, I'd been to three seperate Optus retailers and none of them were stocking the phone I wanted AND that they were advertising. I rang the Optus World like 30K away, and they didnt have it as well. I was pissed off, but I wanted a new phone so I went back to the Strathfield and picked out a different handset that was a bit newer. And also, a bit more expensive.

Anyway, we were filling out the application when the dude got told that Optus had rejected my application because I didnt have a credit rating and because of my age. I was so cranky, and then I got told that because this one was rejected I couldnt reapply for three months.....

I got home and rang up Optus Customer Service I think as mad as I have ever been. I spoke to four different operators for an hour until I got onto the floor manager. He said that I couldnt have the plan I was after because of my age and because I didnt have a credit rating. I said 'Well, its kinda hard to have a credit rating when youve never gone into debt before'. I told him that I worked in a bank and set up credit cards for a living, and that there should be another alternative to how we could do this when I didnt have a credit rating, like an assessable income test. His suggestion was that I put it in my parents name, but I refused to do this, why should i when I'm almost 19 and I have a full time job in a bank? Plus, they have to go through a credit test, which goes on your lifetime record, and there would be absolutley no need for that to happen.

He then said that he would put me under a lower usage plan and give me the service. I wanted $55 a month with $19.96 handset repayments. He said he would give me $35 a month with the handset repayments. The problem here was that I would be paying 16c more for every 30 seconds I talked, or 32c more every minute. In the long run, this would be a LOT more expensive.

He then said if I faxed him over some bank statements and filled out a form to authorize him to debit my account at the START of every month, before I had even used the service, then he would do it for me. I had a couple of problems with this. One was that I had to go into a store and fill out a form to authorise them to debit my account before I'd used a phone that they couldnt supply me with anyway, because they didnt stock the handset I wanted.... Also, I dont believe that because of my age I shouldnt get the benefit of being able to determine when I pay my bills, and only AFTER I have used the service.

I expressed my concern with how frusturated I was with Optus, and he said 'Well this would be a lot easier if you were switching from a Telstra Plan to an Optus one, rather than a pre paid service' I said 'I make no apologies from not wanting to rush into a heap of debt the minute I hit 18'.

I found the whole thing so incredibly frusturating and insidious, since there was a seperate criteria for 18-24 year olds but no alternate measure of how good they were for recourse. Has anyone else had any problems with hooking up to a plan? I still dont know what im going to do about getting a plan now......... any suggestions??

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Good on you for doing what you did! Only advice would be to have gotten the optus/strathfields to ring around, find you one and get it in to the nearest store for you (take a few days to get it in), or at least find one where they did have it; they should have a system telling them where stock is.

Not enough people our age do this sorta stuff, and hence there's widespread screw-age. Well done.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
thats really gay,
heaps of my friends had this problem and they had to put it in their parents name

deano059

HSC
JoyDivision said:
On Friday I decided I needed to go onto a phone plan, because im spending $30-$40 a week on my phone prepaid, and paying premium call rates. So After looking through all the plans available, I decided that Optus were the best. So begins my story of heartache......

I went into town and went to the Strathfield, where the guy had been helping me out. He was like 'Oh sorry, we dont stock the handset that you want' (I wanted a Nokia 7200). I was a bit put off, because he had told me on the phone on Thursday that he had it, and on Friday morning he didnt, but anyway, I crossed the street to go to the Optus world and ask for it there. They didnt have it either. So then I went across the other side of town to the other Optus world and asked for it, and they didnt have it. I was getting really mad by this, I'd been to three seperate Optus retailers and none of them were stocking the phone I wanted AND that they were advertising. I rang the Optus World like 30K away, and they didnt have it as well. I was pissed off, but I wanted a new phone so I went back to the Strathfield and picked out a different handset that was a bit newer. And also, a bit more expensive.

Anyway, we were filling out the application when the dude got told that Optus had rejected my application because I didnt have a credit rating and because of my age. I was so cranky, and then I got told that because this one was rejected I couldnt reapply for three months.....

I got home and rang up Optus Customer Service I think as mad as I have ever been. I spoke to four different operators for an hour until I got onto the floor manager. He said that I couldnt have the plan I was after because of my age and because I didnt have a credit rating. I said 'Well, its kinda hard to have a credit rating when youve never gone into debt before'. I told him that I worked in a bank and set up credit cards for a living, and that there should be another alternative to how we could do this when I didnt have a credit rating, like an assessable income test. His suggestion was that I put it in my parents name, but I refused to do this, why should i when I'm almost 19 and I have a full time job in a bank? Plus, they have to go through a credit test, which goes on your lifetime record, and there would be absolutley no need for that to happen.

He then said that he would put me under a lower usage plan and give me the service. I wanted $55 a month with $19.96 handset repayments. He said he would give me $35 a month with the handset repayments. The problem here was that I would be paying 16c more for every 30 seconds I talked, or 32c more every minute. In the long run, this would be a LOT more expensive.

He then said if I faxed him over some bank statements and filled out a form to authorize him to debit my account at the START of every month, before I had even used the service, then he would do it for me. I had a couple of problems with this. One was that I had to go into a store and fill out a form to authorise them to debit my account before I'd used a phone that they couldnt supply me with anyway, because they didnt stock the handset I wanted.... Also, I dont believe that because of my age I shouldnt get the benefit of being able to determine when I pay my bills, and only AFTER I have used the service.

I expressed my concern with how frusturated I was with Optus, and he said 'Well this would be a lot easier if you were switching from a Telstra Plan to an Optus one, rather than a pre paid service' I said 'I make no apologies from not wanting to rush into a heap of debt the minute I hit 18'.

I found the whole thing so incredibly frusturating and insidious, since there was a seperate criteria for 18-24 year olds but no alternate measure of how good they were for recourse. Has anyone else had any problems with hooking up to a plan? I still dont know what im going to do about getting a plan now......... any suggestions??
shit like that happens all the time, optus and telstra and bigpond thinking like theyre sometihng that theyre not..especially the dickhead operators on those support call centres......i had 1 refuse to give me a supervisor until i flipped

shArkEe

hate to say this but i'll hafta take the side of optus in not offering you the $55 plan, i work for 3 as door to door sales, and i used to have customers who run off afta they recieved their handset, and i end up haing to pay for it, and i kinda hurts when i earn $40 a sale and hafta pay $500 for a customer who ran off, but generally i think you shoulda got heaps betta service when you went to stratty though, btw did you offer to pay for the handset upfront? cause generally in your situation (no credit rating) i find the company will accept your application if you offer to pay upfront

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I totally understand that Optus have to check out that I'm good for recourse, but my problem is I think there should be an alternate measure to the credit rating if you dont have one. Also, I think that every option theyve given me is a lesser service than the one I wanted - its all more expensive in the long run for me. It just gives me the shits that its worked out like this, that because im a certain age I cant get what I want. Its also fairly illogical that they have a seperate criteria for our age group but no seperate, or alternate means test.

shArkEe

yeah i get wat you mean, from wat i know for our age group, if we dont have a credit rating wat they supposed to do is get you to pay upfront for the handset and you shoould be able to get the same plan, the guy that served you probly din know wat he was doing

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Buy mobiles from eBay. I got an Sony-Ericsson K700i for $330. RRP $600.

shArkEe

yeah you can buy from ebay, but most plans these days require you to get the fone with the plan

Jessie moo moo

HSC
I had the exact same problem with strathfield as well , I was 18 years old at the time, got rejected even tho I had a regular income. It was so annoying cause i knew i could afford the deal, but they wouldn't let me have it. In the end, I ended up going on this stupid plan under my mothers name. I am now 21 years old with a phone in my mother's name and all the bills going to her house, which she opens by the way. I have been moved out of home for 3 years so it's all very annoying !! I think it should be based on income, instead of credit rating. Like what 18 year old has a credit rating FFS! :vcross:

MouNtY

just as a "representative" of optus i would advise anyone who buys a phone.... DON'T BUY IT FROM STRATHFIELD...i've worked with optus as a customer service rep for a while now, and when it comes to dealers, we always have problems with strathfield, a lot of the people who have problems with contracts and servicing etc. did their contracting threough strathfield, so just odn't buy it from there.

and as for that plan thing, there isn't really much you can do about that, if you fail a credit check then you can't have a phone, your only other option would be to have it in your parents' name and then when you are able to get a credit rating then youc an do a change of ownership, and that would take like all of a half hour at an optus shop

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I didnt fail the credit check, I got undecided. And then the team leader said he'd approve me up to a certain amount under special circumstances. My problem was that to organise the service I wanted, I had to go back into an Optus Store and authorize them to debit my account when they couldnt give me the handset I wanted. I'm not comfortable with the idea of pre-paying for a phone service like this.

I'm in the process of getting a NAB staff credit card, so ill have a credit rating soon, but seriously this has become a matter of principle how silly this whole thing has been. I dont want to put it in my parents name, thats a check that goes on their Baycorp file PERMANENTLY which is uneccessary.

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
JoyDivision said:
I didnt fail the credit check, I got undecided. And then the team leader said he'd approve me up to a certain amount under special circumstances. My problem was that to organise the service I wanted, I had to go back into an Optus Store and authorize them to debit my account when they couldnt give me the handset I wanted. I'm not comfortable with the idea of pre-paying for a phone service like this.

I'm in the process of getting a NAB staff credit card, so ill have a credit rating soon, but seriously this has become a matter of principle how silly this whole thing has been. I dont want to put it in my parents name, thats a check that goes on their Baycorp file PERMANENTLY which is uneccessary.
that is a bummer
how did u know about Baycorp??
and is that j-wess??

midori_

Vodafone - it's not a plan, but you can buy phones outright, at good prices. You pay $49 and get $230 of credit to use in a month, and by the sounds of it you could do that, and if you recharge at woolworths you get 10% off, so its only $44 and you also get free MMS.

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I know about Baycorp because I work in a bank, and I set up Credit Cards in the preliminary stages for a living, or at least for the next year.

And yes, that is J-Wess, about four months ago.

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
JoyDivision said:

ur gay

just get it in ur parents name

who cares bout getting a phone in ur name

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Ive said heaps of times - dont want to get the phone in my parents names because it goes on a BayCorp file, and I care about having the phone in my name so I can pay my bills using Internet Banking ( The most time and cost efficient way of doing it) . I guess this does make me very extremley and totally gay then......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)