having trouble with this eco question (1 Viewer)

fishy89sg

HSC
hey guys

i was just glancing over some economics HSCs and i got stuck with this Q on the 2003 HSC paper:

"explain how government's labour market policies contribute to the management of the Australian economy"

i read the marking guidelines and i'm even more lost now!!

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!

nem9110

HSC
hahahahah what kinda nickname is that...woops im logged in under someone elses name errm...well yeah look at the syllabus!
ur nickname sounds singaporian...
hey its me.
ok bye xD

fishy89sg

HSC
what labour market policies is aus implementing and how do these contribute to the management of the aus eco?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
First off, thumbs up to you for doing the HSC exam papers. :D
When reading the marking guidelines, the trick is to read how the better students did first, before you focus on the mistakes to avoid (i.e what the weaker students did).
fishy89sg said:
"explain how government's labour market policies contribute to the management of the Australian economy"
I don't see what's wrong with the marking guidelines. It's question 28 and I'm looking at it right now. (All this stuff is in topic 4 concerning economic management by the government.)

I'll give you a few hints.
1/ Read my thread
http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/128433/advice-tips-hsc-economics.html
2/ (As suggested by the first paragraph of the guidelines) Establish the context of the issue of micro. reform. (Here you should open up a bit on micro. reform in general as well as its effects)

Why was workplace reform needed? Why IS it needed?

Don't forget to include some current issues and statistics from past and present.

Conspirocy

HSC
off the top of my head...havent looked at the guidline i would say this is again a wages and income policy question

you would have to talk about

- costs of unemployment, and how avoiding these is good for the economy
- effect of current policies in promoting unemployment
- you would talk about inflation a little bit as that goes hand in hand with employment in the short term and you could chuck in a phillips curve

- you could show how a minimum wage acts as a price fall and results in unemployment in certain situations
- you could talk about capital vs labour and the effect of certain policies on business investment decisions re hiring labour or investing in capital
- you could bring globalisation in and the micro reforms of trade liberalisation (although when answering hsc questions dont use trade lib as an example of micro reform- dont ask why had massive argument about that back in the day)
the effect of structural unemployment caused by the closing down of industries that are opened up to international competition

thats my 2 cents worth

from BOS marking criteria

"Whilst this question was not as popular as Question 27, candidates who selected the question were
generally knowledgeable about current labour market policies and recent labour market reforms.
Better responses demonstrated a detailed understanding of Certified Agreements, Australian
Workplace Agreements and the role of the Australian Industrial Relations Commission, and made
reference to the shift from a centralised to a decentralised system of wage determination.
Terms
such as cost-push inflation and the wage-price spiral were used to illustrate the declining
competitiveness of Australia in the 1980s as a context for changes in the direction of labour market
policies.
Better responses provided a detailed explanation of the links between labour market policies,
structural change and microeconomic reform in the Australian economy. Relevant statistics were
used to illustrate changes in economic growth, unemployment, inflation, productivity and
international competitiveness. Better responses also demonstrated an understanding of the global
context of structural reform of the labour market, referring also to policies concerning training and
education.
Responses generally demonstrated an understanding of the failures of the system in areas such as
equity in the distribution of income
, and the impact of industrial disputation in the bargaining
period. Better responses utilised Gini coefficient analysis to illustrate the explanation of impact on
income distribution.
Weaker responses failed to communicate a clear and correct understanding of the current industrial
relations system and tended to discuss policies other than labour market policies, eg monetary and
fiscal policy, or unemployment."

my main issues have been bolded

the criteria in this question is all wrong...they probably based it on all the memorised answers people dumped.

first of all the part about explaining the industrial relations system is relevent and you should include it, however it is very different and we have overlapping systems, so i would be picky with the more relevent issues

going over the history of decentralised wage bargaining from centralised wage bargaining seems a waste of time and out of date for todays answers, as well as the 2003 answer...i also cant see the relevance...maybe someone could point it out

income distribution is linked with wages and incomes policy, so i guess distribution should be included although i think linking it with the management of the australian economy is a bit far fetched

as for stating unemployment is not important, i always thought that the overriding goals these policies was to create jobs...i would also beleive that an ineffecient policy would harm the successful management of the economy

i think the main issues with this question are that it was written for a different set of circumstances, so while the answer guide in 2003 would be appropriate in 2007 it may not be

best advice i could give is to see a teacher about it, because you dont want to get stuck writing the wrong stuff which im sure could easily happen. In any case i would still follow their reasoning for the answer guide and just update it for todays facts.

Last edited:

fishy89sg

HSC
thanks man!!!

i feel a lot better tackling this monster of a question now! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)