Help for Essays for National Study and Conflict? (1 Viewer)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
I'm not sure really how to consistently write really good modern history essays worth 25 marks. I did the same strategy for national study and international study of peace/conflict, but my results for each were pretty different. We have PEEL (point, example, effect, link) but I don't really do that, I more just give a few examples of things and analyse them and whatnot in no real order.

Are modern history essays kinda similar to English essays, in that you have a few examples (e.g. stats, facts, historiography), and then you analyse them each separately, with each bit of analysis leading on to the next? Or am I wrong? Anyone have tips on this or a structure?

Frostguard

HSC
Tbh, I don't really have a set structure for Modern History essays, I just write what comes to mind imao obviously that doesn't mean I write all over the place, generally it must be chronologically-based and it must be in order, jumping between dates disrupts the flow of your essay, but honestly you don't need to be as rigid as you have to be in English. In English they test your cohesion, sentence structure etc but in modern, there is not a huge emphasis (that still doesn't mean you write with no structure) but you can be a lot more fluid, I mean they're testing you on your content and ability to incorporate historiography and not as intense or extreme as compared to English. I don't really use PEEL tbh for modern, but basically as long as you've got the topic sentence and after that you can do it whatever you want whether it be the quote first or the explanation first and then just link it back to the Q, it's completely up to you, Modern History teachers love structure, cohesion and a good flow but as long as the content is good, that should be fine. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)