Help for life after HSC (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
Hey,

Over the years I have fallen in love with writing stories and composing music. So I really want to continue some "formal" sort of study in English/literature and Music. However, I obviously need a proper job and I don't want to go into teaching, which is essentially the only "proper jobs" you can obtain from English and music degrees unless you become the next Mozart or JK Rowling lmao. So realistically, I'm striving for a law/business degree but I'm wondering how that will work if I want to continue to pursue English and music as well?

chefcurry30

HSC
Hey there,
If you're keen to keep exploring your interest in music and literature, then you can consider an arts/law degree! With the arts side of your degree, you can major in the study of English and study a minor in Music, or even the other way around. Also don't quote me on this but I'm also pretty sure you can double major in English and Music if you structure your degree in a certain way. Also having a law degree alongsise Arts would definitely increase your employment opportunities as law grads are still respected by employers. Basically by considering this pathway you're still exploring your interests in literature and music whilst making yourself eligible for 'proper jobs'. With that being said though, a law degree is not easy so make sure you're interested in the law and not just doing it for the emloyment opportunities it can potentially bring you. Hope I was able to help!

Last edited:

Godard

HSC
Hi,

What chefcurry30 says is absolutely right, an Arts/Law degree would give you the best of both worlds, allowing you to complete a law degree while also pursuing your passions of English and Music. For example, at UNSW if you do an Arts/Law degree you would pick one major and one minor. For your major you could pick English or Creative Writing, and for the minor you could choose Music Studies. I'm not 100% sure about other unis, but the UNSW handbook has a course outline so you could see whether it suits you: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2018/4782.html

Best of luck in choosing your degree!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can also consider going into consulting-it doesn't matter what degree you do as long as you perform well in it.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
English degrees can prepare you for advertising, sales, proofreading / copywriting. Combined with other skills & degrees such as lingustics, commerce, psychology, coding, PR and communications you have something valuable.

I know this is a late reply and you've probably already made your decision, but if you decide law is not for you down the path... that's fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)