Help!! I cant write english essays in time (1 Viewer)

thisname

HSC
I am Very Scared for my english exams - i cannot finish them in time. I can write half a mod A essay in 30 min -> which is not good at all!! Im super frustrated that this is an issue, im ranked top 10 for eng at school but at this rate i cant even complete the exam!!

Any tips on what do do?? What the issue could be?? I spend way to long thinking/planning the question but at the same time i can't not do that?? help??

edit: is it better to write an incomplete essay that answers the question or a complete essay that only has shallow links to the question?

update: i think my main problem was my time spent planning.... looks like theres no time to strive for perfection. After doing a super bare bones plan i was able to complete mod A n B in 40-45 mins.... hopefully i can cut that down with practice

Last edited:

uniqueusername1

HSC
I am Very Scared for my english exams - i cannot finish them in time. I can write half a mod A essay in 30 min -> which is not good at all!! Im super frustrated that this is an issue, im ranked top 10 for eng at school but at this rate i cant even complete the exam!!

Any tips on what do do?? What the issue could be?? I spend way to long thinking/planning the question but at the same time i can't not do that?? help??
What is the reason for this? Is it because you write slow? Takes you a while to think? Or what?

Last edited:

notme123

HSC

the best thing is to limit yourself e.g. constrict your time for each paragraph to 10 minutes so you can get all 3 bodies done in half an hour. even if you need to cut quotes just do it a full essay is better than half.

chloethepug

HSC
When my english essays are too long, I get rid of several quotes or sentences that are just reiterating a point I already made.
Read over your essay and if you can try cut it down. I can write about 1100 words in 40 mins so use that as a guide

deep breaths, you got this :)

Last edited:

icycledough

HSC
For Paper 2, seeing you've got 40 minutes per essay, for Mods A and B which are conventional essays, I would split the 40 minutes into 5 for intro and conclusion and 10 minutes per paragraph. One more thing to note as well, if you're on your 3rd body paragraph and have 5 minutes left, leave it and write a conclusion. You will lose less marks if you have a conclusion and incomplete body paragraph than a 3rd body paragraph and an incomplete/no conclusion. I think this is to do with 'completeness' of an essay, which is why conclusions are required at all costs.

mikrokosmos

HSC
this is probably silly but investing in a good inky gel pen helps thoughts flow onto the page!! also i've been handwriting all my course notes which helps increase my speed of writing so maybe that could help

good luck! : )

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC

I think there's 5 mins reading time for paper 2 which is short considering 3 sections, but you need to make some productive instantaneous decisions during reading time so that you don't waste too much writing time later on finishing up ur planning.

planning shouldn't take long at all, you just need to read the question, identify the key words/phrases, establish links between these key words and your essay, probably 1-2 minutes maximum planning needed for each section. once reading time is up, jot down those links you came up with for each section and then get started on the mod A essay, you should be able to stick to 35-40 mins each. of course for mod C planning could take a lot longer, it's fine to stop and think during writing time for this section at the expense of writing less

half a mod A essay in 30 mins is a bit concerning because you definitely don't have 60 mins for this section. you might need to try severely cutting your essays down, improving your writing speed or practice planning more efficiently

zizi2003_

HSC
you dont need a significant time for planning if you have memorised a few adaptable paragraphs - youd then just need to change your thesis+topic sentences and your links which shouldnt take a lot of planning?

thisname

HSC
i think i spend up to 5-7 min try to write a thesis/think of how to adapt my essay to the question... which is too slow and im trying to practice by doing timed scaffolds (thesis, topic sentences) idk if its workinh though

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
i think i spend up to 5-7 min try to write a thesis/think of how to adapt my essay to the question... which is too slow and im trying to practice by doing timed scaffolds (thesis, topic sentences) idk if its workinh though
I guess that's your issue. Maybe have a rough plan and just start writing. Come back to your thesis when you feel like you've fully understood it.

idkkdi

HSC
5-7 mins is fine, just smash out ur essay in 35 mins after u figure out how to adapt it.

idkkdi

HSC

edit: is it better to write an incomplete essay that answers the question or a complete essay that only has shallow links to the question?
you should always be completing your essays. chop off quotes on ur last para or ur last para altogether if u don't have time.

vishnay

God
HSC
does anyone recommend spending slightly more time on mod a? my mod a is by far the largest of all modules and ik that it takes less time for me to do mod b and c then it does mod a

suggestions?

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
does anyone recommend spending slightly more time on mod a? my mod a is by far the largest of all modules and ik that it takes less time for me to do mod b and c then it does mod a

suggestions?
I'm pretty sure I always sacrificed like 5 mins from mod B to finish up mod A and it was never an issue. since you spend less time on mod B and C you could prolly afford to do the same

stressedadfff

HSC
I'm pretty sure I always sacrificed like 5 mins from mod B to finish up mod A and it was never an issue. since you spend less time on mod B and C you could prolly afford to do the same
how many words did you have for each essay? :)

Wizjaro

HSC
Conclusion should be a summarisation of your argument as well as a good opportunity to reinforce the fact that you are in fact answering the question.

suggestions?
My mod A and B essays are roughly the same word length 1100-1200 each and typically they take like 42 mins to finish which results in me typically sacrificing mod C and it usually turns out fine for me, so I think it should be fine.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Conclusion should be a summarisation of your argument as well as a good opportunity to reinforce the fact that you are in fact answering the question.

My mod A and B essays are roughly the same word length 1100-1200 each and typically they take like 42 mins to finish which results in me typically sacrificing mod C and it usually turns out fine for me, so I think it should be fine.
If u don’t mind me asking what texts are u doing for mod b? If you’re doing Eliot I’m stuck between doing 2 or 3 poems which do u think is best?

Wizjaro

HSC
If u don’t mind me asking what texts are u doing for mod b? If you’re doing Eliot I’m stuck between doing 2 or 3 poems which do u think is best?
So for mod B I'm actually doing an artist of the floating world, however I feel like 3 poems would be optimal because you can dedicate one paragraph to each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)