Help! I'm getting writer's block!!! (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
I'm getting a really bad case of writer's block at the moment cause I'm not sure how to advance my story! My major work was never going to be the most innovative piece of literature, probably due to my choosing of a generic concept (character change in relation to contextual values) so could anyone plz help me out here???

accio.brain

HSC
Take a break for a while to clear you mind, then maybe try to look at your main idea from a different angle instead of trying to perfect or change what you've written so far. Draw a mindmap or something and write down whatever ideas pop into your head, no matter how stupid or wacky they are cos chances are they'll lead to something useful. Even if it's a generic idea, i'm sure you can still find an interesting approach in there somewhere! Reading over any research you have can also help sometimes to try and find something new that you may've overlooked before...

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
There's a few things you can do. Get someone else to read what you've written so far and ask them what they think you might do next. Get more people to read it too, and then you'll have a wider range of feedback to work with. Your teacher would obviously be a very good bet, but also the other people in your class, any older students who've done it before or even people on BoS if you would rather feedback from someone you don't know.

You can also go back to the research stage and look for any new ideas. Also, if you sit down and think about what you want the very very end of your story to look like you can develop that endpoint and then start working towards it from there.

You can also start writing scenes out of order. If you get an idea for the story, even if it takes place in some random future part of the MW, write it. Even if it doesn't end up fitting with what you decide to do at least you have the option of including it.

Try not to get to anxious about the writer's block because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy -- the more you think you can't write the less you will try. You still have a long while to get it finished and the writer's block will clear up with time.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I'm feeling your pain and I just keep procrastinating and not just sitting down and writing through it.

But that is the key, just sit and write. Don't try and make it the best writing you have ever done, just write and as you do, ideas will flow, the characters will literally tell you where they need to go and then you find you're back in the flow and off you go.

Also, write for a set time and then force yourself to stop. Walk away and let the mind mull it over. It will refine what you have done and then you can come back and fix and write on.

I sometimes find that I get blocked when what I am writing is BORING! So, I have to think of something to chuck in the make it more interesting. If I'm not interested when I write it, no one will be interested to read it.

Hope that helps (and hope I can find the time to write through my own block!!! ARGH!)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Thanks guys, only now with the end in sight have I remembered to come back here for advice, anyways appreciate the help! I'm not entirely sure of whether my major work will in the end turn out to be the one which I originally intended it to be but my main focus is to just get it done, not much time for regrets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)