Help Me I'm Computer Illiterate and Just Wanna Play Games Again (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Okay I just want to play PC games on my laptop again :(

Recently my CD/DVD drive died (an IT guy at work said so) and I need a replacement. It's user removable ie I press a button and the drive comes right out.

My laptop is a HP compaq EVO 800V

There are about a gazillion numbers on the broken CD/DVD drive that I currently have and I can quote some of them if you'd like.

I've been quoted approx $300+ for a replacement but the people I have been talking to are shifty and sus. As if an internal CD/DVD drive about $200 more expensive than an external one? Or are CD/DVD drives just that expensive?

This forum has never failed me before... What is the most economical way for me to start playing PC games again with my laptop? I google things and the results make little sense to me...

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Replacement laptop CD/DVD drives are really that expensive, usually at least $150 up depending on features. You could try your luck with eBay, someone might be selling their parts or selling no brand replacements.

If you want a cheap solution and not really worry about taking the drive around with you getting an external one would be the way to go.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
But, as sunny said, those things are bitches to carry... and the vast majority require external power. Be sure you don't need it for portability.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The site is currently down (ah the wonders of Google's cache), but Get Parts Online appears to have a CD drive and a CD-RW/DVD combo drive listed that are compatible for your computer. I assume the prices are in US dollars - US$30 for the CD drive and US$90 for the combo drive, which is more competitive than what you've been quoted. However, the company is based in New York, meaning there probably will be postage costs if you buy from them, and there's the whole do you trust buying online thing.

eBay also has a few promising options, such as this one (not 100% sure if it's compatible with your laptop though).

However, like sunny said, the easiest way is probably to get an external drive that plugs in via USB and use that. You'll lose portability, but it will be the most economical option.

I_F

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
" HP compaq EVO 800V " thats the problem right there. I had one of those back in the day and everything went wrong with it haha. My advice would be to buy an external cd/dvd player. They are a lot cheaper, the only thing is that you have to carry it around with you all the time. I still have mine from back in the day and it comes in useful on my new lappy when I have to make 50 copies of something.. I can get it done twice as fast!. But if youre using the laptop for portability purposes, then I would suggest that you just continue researching. $300 is a bot on the pricey side. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

Where do you live? because I may be able to reccommend someone that can help you for a good price. Im in NZ atm and wont be back until the 11th. So if you can wait til then, I'd be happy to help. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)