Help on answering short response questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
This might sound incredibly dumb to everyone who's been there, done that, but I'm having trouble phrasing the "EXPLAIN" and "ANALYSE" questions. Teachers at my old school never taught me the concepts listed on the BoS HSC terminology, so all I knew were to list facts lol. Now at this school, people take these terms a lot more seriously as they should, but I'm struggling over some of them >.<

<i>Explain: provide a why and how; cause and effect</i>

Explain under what circumstances a law would be considered just.

Okay, I'm going by the characteristics of a just law: equality, widely held beliefs and values, known before enforcement. Starting off: "A law would be considered just under the circumstance of equality." Okay, so why?? "A law would be considered just under the circumstance of equality, which gives citizens the right to a just law despite their race, nationality, sex, wealth and power." Now... how? "A law would be considered just under the circumstance of equality, which gives citizens the right to a just law despite their race, nationality, sex and wealth. This is enforced through various acts such as the Sex Discrimination Act of 1984 to protect the equality rights of all citizens."

Does that sound about right?

Now the analyse question. My downfall. :(

<i>Analyse: identify components and the relationship between them; draw out and relate implications.</i> (this definition has me confused already...)

Analyse the importance of laws being a reflection of society's values and ethics for which they are made.

Here I don't even know where to start. "Laws are an important reflection of society's values and ethics because (is that a good start? and now..)- *mindblank*

Last edited:
HSC
Also not sure how well I answered this "assess" question:

<i>Assess - to make a judgment on quality, size and value.</i>

Assess the importance of the rule of law in the effective functioning of society.

The rule of law impacts society by ensuring proper balance and equality between citizens and the law. This is seen through the prohibition of arbitrary power and assessing an individual's wealth, power and statue to make decisions. By achieving equity, the society runs a lot more smoother. Furthermore, new laws and allegations must be known under the rule of law before enforcement. This positively affects the functioning of society in informing citizens about the consequences of certain laws, therefore reducing the possibilities of laws being broken and further stagnating the functioning of society.

ad_321

HSC
The key to answering these type of s/a in legal is to really nail the directives which I see you have attempted here. Honestly, using words that relate to the directive is crucial.

For e.g. for an explain Q (cause and effect, provide why/how)

Blah blah blah is effective blah blah. This is because blah blah blah. Consequently..

General e.g. but I hope you get my drift. Underlining the words too is what I always did.. make it obvious you're answering the directive and question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)