Help - Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

CS23454

HSC
I am needing help cutting down my units for Year 11/12 and would like some advice please.

I am definitely doing:
- Maths Extension I (completed accelerated course this year, sitting HSC exam next year)
- English Extension I
- SOR II
- Modern History

Then if I pick two more subjects it will get me to 14 units for Year 11.
I am considering Legal Studies, Economics and Visual Arts.
I have no idea which one to cut.
I like the idea of Art and it is a subject I really enjoy, but am concerned about doing a major work.
Then between Economics and Legal Studies I am not sure whether to do both or pick one (and then do art).
If I were to pick one I am not exactly sure which one I would prefer. I am considering law after school but have been told you don't really have to do Legal studies if you wanna do Law. More so, some people have said it is not that interesting to study in yr 11.
Economics I do not know a lot about but have been suggested to do it several times and I am interested.

Thanks!

__fifi123__

HSC
firstly, do art if you want a fun subject. you obviously enjoy it. I think you need to pick from ecos and legal to cut. which one do you prefer? which one are you more interested in? are you more interested in law or the economy?? thats what you need to think about.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Popular Australian view is: do what you like and enjoy. My view: do what would be beneficial to you, even if you may not like one or two of them.

izzo

HSC
If you're creative and enjoy art, do it. It will give you a break from the other subjects.

Pedro123

HSC
The first thing is to do what you want. you've probably heard this plenty of times, so I'll get into the details here.
Your subjects of modern and 4u math are quite high scaling, meaning your HSC mark doesn't need a lot of work (Still more is always better). Think about how many subjects you want to do in year 12, and whether you will drop anything.
Legal and economics are 2 very difficult subjects to do, legal in that you need to understand concepts and write A LOT of essays, like A LOT of them, so think of it as similar to a second English. Eco is quite demanding, but rather than wrote learning like legal, it requires you to grasp concepts effectively then apply them to situations. Also remember: the only way you do well in a subject is if you like it. Legal is made easier if it is fun, but in no way will dictate what you do after school, like the full year 12 syllabus would be covered in less than 2 uni months. Eco is in my opinion, more rewarding in your understanding of the world. But these subjects do overlap in some aspects.

If the only thing in art that is stopping you is doing major work, do art. You seem to really like it, and you shouldn't be intimidated by that. Think of it like a big project you do, with the freedom to explore any concept you like. It is really easy to get help with these things, and if you enjoy the subject you'll love the major work.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. You can be given the information, but you are the one who picks what you want.
IN MY OPINION (I am only giving this because I understand how it is not very helpful to have people tell you to do what you enjoy and not give a straight answer):

You should do economics and art.
You obviously enjoy art, and it is a great way to break up the work heavy subjects as outlined earlier. Not knowing a lot about economics doesn't matter, i.e. many people who don't do commerce in year 10 still do exceptionally in economics year 11. You also seem to really enjoy these types of subjects, so I would suggest this.
Again I want to re-iterate - this is my opinion and MY opinion alone. I only aim to provide you with information to help you make your decision, and you shouldn't choose it based on what I think.

I honestly really hope this helps.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Economics over legal studies for sure. Legal studies is less about learning the law and more about memorising cases. In economics you learn interesting things and it can help you decide if you want to study it at uni or not. Economics is definitely harder, however it scales better. My 82 in economics counted towards my atar whilst my 87 in legal didnt.

HSC
Definitely do art. If you decide that the major work will be too much for you in year 12 you can always drop art and do 12 or 10 units for your HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)