Help with maintaing a balance: Kidney (1 Viewer)

beanie181

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, what are the primary differences between the liver and the kidney? Thanks

epz

HSC
Oh wow, no ones answered already! Sorry for being so late then :p I've been on camp for around 5 days now and still am at camp. Anyways, i'll attempt to help you out with this question.
Okay... so what are kidneys?
A kidney is an organ in the body that is responsible for many homeostatic functions as well as are essential in the urinary system. The kidneys have different functions than the liver, I won't go into detail, but this is the key difference.
What is this "liver" you talk of??!!1
The liver is an organ that plays a role in things such as digestion (via the production of bile), the actual process of deamination is different to the process of filtering that occurs in the kidney and lastly but obviously, both are in different forms/structures.

To sum up;
They differ in function, structure and location.

More info @ http://www.gruts.com/misc/faq/liver-kidneys/

Good Luck!

planino

HSC
^

and the liver is the 'chemical factory' of the body e.g. where amino acids are synthesised to proteins etc. The kidney is the main filter of the blood, and regulates its composition to ideal levels so that homeostasis is achieved and the water-salt balance within tissues isn't disrupted too much.
Overly simplistic, I know, but I found it the best way to start off learning about the two organs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)