Help with modelling a transformer (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Ok well we were carrying out this experiment in class and we were all using different designs.

Student A designed the transformer as depicted in the first picture and Student B designed the transformer as depicted in the second one.

The thing is that the bulb in the first pic did not light up nor was there any reading on the ammeter but the bulb in the second pic did light up.

The purple circle in the middle denotes the soft iron core (created by taping iron nails together).

The difference in A and B's circuits was the way that the coils were connected. One of the coils in the primary coil and one of the coils in the secondary coil were connected to the soft iron core but the case was not the same in A's design (as seen in the first pic).

So can anyone tell me why the globe in A's design did not glow while the one in B's design did? Also are there designs correct in modeling step-up transformers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
The source was AC but I forgot to edit the pic at the power source part.

Uhhh.....we sticky taped a couple of iron nails together for the soft iron core. Could you please tell me how are we supposed to connect the coils and wires in order to make a step-up transformer?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I should have been more explicit. This is what the iron core looked like. Is it okay if I wound the primary coil at the bottom and the secondary coil at the top with some of overlapping? Oh yeah and the copper wire used for the coild s was insulated. Does this have any impact on the transformer?

JPD

HSC
What would be the minimum Ac voltage required to produce recordable results?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)