help with my subjects please! (1 Viewer)

booklancholy

HSC
Hi everyone this is my first post here and I just wanted to ask for some advice on some subjects in relation to my dream atar and course. :)

I am going to work super hard and try to get a 96 ATAR to get into Bachelor of Psychology/Bachelor of Law. These are my current subjects.

Adv Math
Ext Math
Adv English
Ext English
Chemistry
Legal Studies
SOR 2

However, I have been recommended to do Japanese Continuers, and I think I actually want to do it, however I will have to change some of my course around. These will be my subjects if I decide to do Jap.

Adv Math
Adv English
Ext English
Biology
Legal Studies
SOR 1
Japanese Continuers.

Will I be able to achieve my goal with these subjects - in relation to scaling etc. Please help me ASAP! Thanks so much everyone !! 😁

c_z_m

HSC
First off, which university do you plan on attending? If you plan on getting into UNSW - you will need to do the LAT (Law Admissions Test) unless you are a Gateway applicant.

Secondly, it is definitely possible to get a 96 ATAR+. But keep in mind scaling is rendered useless if you perform badly in a high scaling subject, so it is usually better to choose courses you like and are good at.

Achieving Band 6’s will suffice for your ATAR goal, in my opinion.

c_z_m

HSC
I would also like to add that ATAR calculators can be useful in “reverse engineering” your marks. But scaling changes year to year so don’t look too much into it!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to Bored of Studies! :bosman:

In addition to the above, scaling should not be the primary consideration with respect to subject selection. As was mentioned, it is unlikely that scaling will work to your advantage in the event of unfavourable performance. Instead, you should select your subjects based on your own interest in each of them in addition to your performance potential in each of them, i.e. how well do you feel you can perform in each of your subjects? Additionally, an important thing to note is that a high ATAR can be achieved with any combination of subjects, meaning that you can definitely achieve your desired ATAR with your current and proposed subject selection.

Consistent with my point regarding interest in a particular subject is the possibility of you taking Japanese Continuers. It seems that you would feel positive about taking this subject. You may have felt positive about this subject due to the fact that you were recommended to take it, although more importantly, you appear to have an interest in pursuing the Japanese language at HSC level, which is essential in terms of subject selection.

I hope this helps! :D

booklancholy

HSC
Thank you all for your help and advice! I just have one more question -

Do you recommend two extension subjects? I heard that only one can go towards your ATAR. Is this true?

Thanks again!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you all for your help and advice! I just have one more question -

Do you recommend two extension subjects? I heard that only one can go towards your ATAR. Is this true?

Thanks again!
This is not necessarily the case. The rule is that your best 10 units will count towards your ATAR. Those 10 units will consist of:
  • Your best 2 units of English.
  • The remaining 8 units will consist of the subjects in which you performed the best.
The calculation of your ATAR does not restrict you to one Extension subject. Provided your performance is sufficiently favourable, both English Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 1 can contribute towards your ATAR.

Ultimately, whether you should take two Extension subjects depends on your performance and your ability to cope with the workload of each subject. Year 11 acts as a testing period, where you can determine the best subject combination to have as you approach year 12 since no assessment tasks/exams in year 11 count towards your year 12 results or ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)