help with science experiment (1 Viewer)

jjuunnee

HSC
Question: Does the pH level of a liquid affect how fast a tablet dissolves?

Liquids I will be using (pH are rough estimates I found on internet)
- distilled white vinegar (pH: 2.4)
- sprite (pH: 3.29)
- iced tea (pH: 4.5)
- black coffee (pH: 5.7)
- milk (pH: 6)
- tap water (pH: 7)
- Evian water (pH: 8)

As the pH for these liquids are from the internet, do you think I should test the pH of these liquids before starting my experiment, or can I use these values I found on the internet?

Also, how exactly should I graph my results? I know that the independent variable goes along the x axis, but should I put the names of the liquids on the x axis or the pH levels? If I put in the pH levels, is it okay if the values aren't marked in equal increments? So for example, the pH levels are 2.3, 2.6, 4.2 and 7? Or do they have to go up in equal increments such as 2, 4, 6, 8?

Hopefully that somewhat makes sense! Any suggestions for improvements to my experiment idea would be appreciated!

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, how exactly should I graph my results? I know that the independent variable goes along the x axis, but should I put the names of the liquids on the x axis or the pH levels? If I put in the pH levels, is it okay if the values aren't marked in equal increments? So for example, the pH levels are 2.3, 2.6, 4.2 and 7? Or do they have to go up in equal increments such as 2, 4, 6, 8?
I think putting pH levels in equal increments along x axis would be better since you can show a relationship (if there is one) between the pH level and the time it takes for the tablet to dissolve on the graph.

jjuunnee

HSC
I think putting pH levels in equal increments along x axis would be better since you can show a relationship (if there is one) between the pH level and the time it takes for the tablet to dissolve on the graph.
yeah i agree but how can i make sure the pH levels are in equal increments? I can't exactly control what the pH level of the liquid is going to be. maybe i can round off the value to the nearest whole number?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
yeah i agree but how can i make sure the pH levels are in equal increments? I can't exactly control what the pH level of the liquid is going to be. maybe i can round off the value to the nearest whole number?
Not exactly sure what that means, but I'd imagine putting a ph scale of 0 to 14, then just logging in the values. Its a valid scale since thats the extent of the pH scale.

You can just put 0 to 10 if you want to make it neater. So lets say you have 5 x axis points, just put it into increments of 2 (0->2, 2->4 etc). But I'd personally put 0 to 14 simply because it makes more sense and it shows that none of the liquids range between >8 -> 14.

Test the pH. Then in your discussion you can compare the two and add on to your accuracy/reliability/validity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)