hi help plz (1 Viewer)

horses r cool

HSC
hey is anyone doing primary this year? im in yr11 and there are only 4 ppl on our class and me and 2 other girls and one boy. our teacher cant control a class it doesnt matter how small it is does anyone have any notes or helpful hints they could share with me thanx

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
Hey!

I just did primary industries last year and absolutely loved it so i might be able to help you a bit. At first i found it a bit overwhelming to understand exactly what the requirements were, as in what competencies were core and how many electives you had to do. Its heaps of fun though once you understand exactly what you have to do! So yeah if you need a bit of help or anything you can contact me on smiley_1001@msn.com and id be happy to help in any way i can. Goodluck with it all! :)

horses r cool

HSC
thank you so much. i got top in my class in our half yearly's the bottom mark was 26%. i enjoy it but it does get confusing between the core requriments and the electives especially how he say's if u do this it goes to ur hsc but not ur certificate 2 in ag so it really confused me.

Last edited:

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
Hey,
Congats on getting the top mark! Even though PI is a vet course if you try hard and get good marks (which isnt that hard to do usually) it wont drag down your uai to the degree that people think it does. I can understand how you're so confused...its so hard to sus out!!!

Basically all of the competencies you do in both year 11 and 12 will go on your certificate 2. So all of the year 11 stuff does count for certificate 2! If you're getting a UAI you have to have all of your core competencies done and also enough electives (cant remember how many hours that is all up but i can find out if you would like) and the 70 hrs work placement AND the only real "marks" (as in exam marks used to calculate your UAI) come from your final exam. So dont worry too much about the half yearlies and trial and stuff. The main reason you will do a trial and half yearly is so that your teacher can have a rank and an estimate incase for some reason you cant do the final exam, then they will estimate from those marks. I was getting pretty good averages through year 12 in my half yearlies and trials, but they didn't count at all in the calculation of my UAI, only the final exam marks counted.

I hope i haven't confused you even more!! I just remember how hard it was to sus it all out!!!

Oh and if you want some tips for the exam theres a few really easy things you can do to boost your marks and be that little bit better...

> Try to learn the important acts and legislation. I think i used to know about 12, things like the pesticides act (cant remember the year!!! ) Its not hard to learn them and i think ive got a list of the important ones if you would like it. If you can mention a few of them in your essay at the end of your exam the marker will go wow this person really knows what they are talking about!

> Know how to read and interpret a weather map.

> Learn how to calculate an application rate, vaccines and stuff like that are pretty straight foward, but things like boomsprays can be a bit more difficult, especially when you have to take into account how fast the tractor/bike moves, how wide the boom is and how much chemical you will need to spray x amount of hectares. Can get a bit confusing in an exam situation when your time is limited, so i found it best to just run through working out a few examples from past papers and that, just to get fast at working it all out.

> Know about IPM and some of the different strategies used to control pests, remember that when controlling a pest, it might sound obvious but the first step is IDENTIFYING the pest and the pests lifecycle. Also remember that IPM slows down chemical resistance and can therefore lead to long term sustainability.

> Know about cleaning up after a chemical spill, drum muster (disposal of chemical containers), storing chemicals (in original container, ventilated area, not on wooden shelving etc)

> Know how to read a chemical label and what the different symbols mean.

> Know that a MSDS is a legal document and what information it has on it.

> A lot of it is focused on personal safety, its common sense a lot of it, they might give you a situation where someone has been hurt and you have to deal with the problem...again its stating the obvious but always look out for yourself first, as in the first step should be check if there is any danger to you! Its so easy to forget to state ovbious common sense things, but if you dont write it they cant give you a mark for it.

> Although they can only test you on the core topics that everyone has to cover they can throw in questions that may seem a bit off topic. I think last year we had a question that was based on a situation in a nursery, but if you get a question like that dont panic because most likely the answers will be general and can apply to any situation. When you answer a question try to put the steps in chronological order...eg. you might get a question on what steps would you take to muster and drench 50 cattle...dont forget the most obvious things like
a) buy the drench
b) make sure you READ THE CHEMICAL LABEL (everytime!!!) and have all appropriate PPE (personal protective equiptment)
c) do a hazard assesment on the yards and make sure they are in working order, open gates/close gates
d) go along the path you intend to muster the cattle through and check that there arent any holes in laneways/fences etc and that the path is clear
e) muster the cattle
f) put on PPE and drench the cattle according to dosage rates on chemical label
g) clean up - store any unused chemical appropriately or dispose of empty containers appropriately.
---it might seem so stupid to have to explain things to that degree and so much of it is common sense but always list every little thing if youve got time, even if its in point form.

Well thats a start anyway!!! If you have any questions or problems understanding exactly what you have to do dont hesitate to ask!!! :)

horses r cool

HSC
hey thanks so much that was really helpful i thnk ive passed like 2-3 compancy things so we're getting there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)