Highest Paying Graduates (1 Viewer)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Miners first year grads had hit 130k according to The Age. There's no way Business and Law grad can earn that much. However, most engineers do hit the figure or above it after 5 years.

ND

HSC
Bankers (in the IB department) in their first 5 years work harder/longer than any tradesman.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
They could be, but they work in better conditions. Nothing worse than labour work.

ND

HSC
Yeh of course.

If the Plumber is a smart investor - S/he 'll be retired by 30.
I disagree, i just did the calculations, and assuming he starts work at 18 (earning 150k/year), saves 50% of his income, the risk-free rate is 6%, and his tax-rate is 48.5%, his annual income after retiring would be about 41k (and these are conservative assumptions).

Tuna

HSC
N/A
His tax rate won't be 48.5 because most of the payment will be in cash. Moreover, it is unlikely that people can claim tax-return over a plumber's work. It could only be a case if they are in a business such as Hotels, restaurants etc.

W

whsmith

1. Some of it would be cash-In-hand
- Which would cover day-to-day expenses [can't really save it]

2. Starts at 18, By 19 he could buy 1 property [$41,000 saved] as investment - Doesn't matter at all if rent doesn't cover mortgage.

3. Negative Gear 'losses' on investment property, and continue to save whats left [over following years 40,000 x Amount of years] into either [this is were variation in strategy happens, hard to 'predict'] back into property to pay more off. Which could slightly negate some of 'losses'. Buy another property.

4. 5 years on, Original Property bought at ~$350-400,000 is now worth ~$500,000+ . Uses equity to buy another property [Tax free income],

5. abopve repeated over an over.

6. Buy 30 could easily have 5-6 properties. Get rent to pay mortgage [atleast 85%]. You Equity on a cycle-system [2 a year] to obtain approx $80-100,000 a year continuously [TAX-FREE] from your equity. It will never catch up, Rentws will increase yearly, as you extend mortgage on every 3rd year.

- you never intend on paying off your mortgage.

The above is the "I love myself, screw the kids debt Fund"

if you continued that for about 5-10 years more, you could have the "i love myself, and my family for generations fund". Build up to 10-12 properties which are geared, sell Half, and use profits to completly pay of remaining.

Now based on the hope that you have good genes and no dumb asses enter the family [and you dont have 10+ children! :) ] future generations following this system are FOREVER set up.

This, my friend, is wealth.

ND

HSC
I don't know much about property investing, but i do know that the risk/reward ratio is the same in all investment products, and hence unless you're Warren Buffett or some super hedge fund manager, my analysis is still correct (aside from the tax, which we could assume to be 30%). That would make it 56k/year, which is hardly anything.

ND

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Truely spoken by a man who has obviously never done a days hard work in his entire life.
Mate wtf are you talking about? Analysts work 100+ hours a week. That's 16 hours a day 6 days a week and half a day Sunday. Show me a plumber that works that hard.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ND said:
Mate wtf are you talking about? Analysts work 100+ hours a week. That's 16 hours a day 6 days a week and half a day Sunday. Show me a plumber that works that hard.
Most of the plumbers that make alot of money pull in alot of overtime, I dunno about 16 hour days 6 days a week, but i'm willing to say it wouldn't be too far off... and this is often doing much more physically draining work (which makes it alot harder to work for so many hours).

W

whsmith

ND said:
I don't know much about property investing, but i do know that the risk/reward ratio is the same in all investment products, and hence unless you're Warren Buffett or some super hedge fund manager, my analysis is still correct (aside from the tax, which we could assume to be 30%). That would make it 56k/year, which is hardly anything.
The income is derived from a property value + 'loan'. It is no income as defined by the tax department. It is tax free.

Equity = Free money.

This is why property is a brilliant investment. :D

Oh, But if you SELL the properties, Then yes, You would pay tax. Capitial Gains is a bitch.

ND

HSC
whsmith said:
The income is derived from a property value + 'loan'. It is no income as defined by the tax department. It is tax free.

Equity = Free money.

This is why property is a brilliant investment. :D

Oh, But if you SELL the properties, Then yes, You would pay tax. Capitial Gains is a bitch.
But gearing is always tax-deductable, regardless of the investment product. It's just that most ppl don't borrow to invest in other products. As i said before, i know nothing about property, but if property was superior to other products, then market forces would erode the prices and bring it back on par.

Most of the plumbers that make alot of money pull in alot of overtime, I dunno about 16 hour days 6 days a week, but i'm willing to say it wouldn't be too far off... and this is often doing much more physically draining work (which makes it alot harder to work for so many hours).
I just looked it up and the average weekly working time for a plumber is 41.6 hours. If even 5% of plumbers worked 100 hours a week, then the average would be significantly higher than 41.6, because there aren't any that work below 35 hours (and so the distribution would be positively skewed).

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
In an IB, your remuneration depends on which division you work - IB and trading are the highest. Equities research is shit. Not sure about asset mgmt.

Also, you can easily start a bidding war between firms to push your salary up.

Salaries here range from 60k to 100k. The ceiling is usually 120k.

IBers work very very hard. And the overtime isn't paid (as opposed to tradesmen).

Negative gearing is stupid..capital flowing into retail property doesn't boost economic productivity.

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:
In an IB, your remuneration depends on which division you work - IB and trading are the highest. Equities research is shit. Not sure about asset mgmt.
In the US i think that the starting salaries for Sales, trading and research are the same. Later on salaries for sales and trading are about the same, but the bonuses for sales can be much bigger than trading. Managing your own HF shits all over anything. :D

mashi

Elite
HSC
do you guys know the approximate salaries of actual analysts?

not graduate analysts, but the guys a step up from grads.
I know for a fact sales traders "mostly get over 200K", from the head of sales trading where i work... but then some grad told me that your average EQUITIES RESEARCH analyst gets 200-400K. And its apparently alot harder to move from trading to research?

Thats quite an outrageous amount of money. I thought most experienced accountants get <100K?

hondadude

HSC
N/A
man wtf gives a crap about earning the highest amt when u graduate! Just cuz u get 100grand salary package - it doesn't mean u will live a happier life mate!

CrashOveride

HSC
mashi said:
do you guys know the approximate salaries of actual analysts?

not graduate analysts, but the guys a step up from grads.
I know for a fact sales traders "mostly get over 200K", from the head of sales trading where i work... but then some grad told me that your average EQUITIES RESEARCH analyst gets 200-400K. And its apparently alot harder to move from trading to research?
Which IB you work for (if you don't mind disclosing) ?

mashi said:
Thats quite an outrageous amount of money. I thought most experienced accountants get <100K?
Yeah, not too far from that figure.

man wtf gives a crap about earning the highest amt when u graduate! Just cuz u get 100grand salary package - it doesn't mean u will live a happier life mate!
No one implied the latter.

Last edited:

mashi

Elite
HSC
I work at ABN AMRO atm.
10 of my friends are completing summer internships at the other investment banks and we're trying to work out salaries or different roles from our colleagues as well. I can let you know grad salaries of different departments if you want, later on.

The thing is, alot of it is bonus based, and employees are not allowed to disclose them to each other. We go no ALOT of lunches/parties tho so its not that hard after everyones had a few.

Found a really good site with alot of GRAD DESCRIPTIONS/RENUMERATION figures.
www.efinancialcareers.com.au.. but the salary info for grads is mostly for UK/US.

I know for a fact in the UK, Investment banking graduates are the highest paid grads in any profession and in the US its shared by IB Grads and the top global law firms.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ND said:
But gearing is always tax-deductable, regardless of the investment product. It's just that most ppl don't borrow to invest in other products. As i said before, i know nothing about property, but if property was superior to other products, then market forces would erode the prices and bring it back on par.
Real estate is often quite poor returns, although they do get better in cities that will grow. In established cities, the growth isn't really good, the main advantage is that a huge collapse isn't likely but you can protect against that with diversity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)