Homestay- A good alternative to colleges? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Since I have to move from melb to syd to start my first year in UNSW, I'm thinking of homestaying with some family. Kinda paranoid about colleges, so has anyone done it? And can recommend any good companies? Thanks!

Brie-is-Me

HSC
I've done homestays while travelling around the US and Canada for sport. I've also had Italians, Americans and New Zealanders stay with my family and I, and on the whole found it to be a really really positive experience.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
uberlovesounds said:
Since I have to move from melb to syd to start my first year in UNSW, I'm thinking of homestaying with some family. Kinda paranoid about colleges, so has anyone done it? And can recommend any good companies? Thanks!
You run the risk of landing with a family ou don't get along with. In a college, you're with a bunch of people your own age and you inevitable forms freindships. If you don't, you probably have no life or personality to speak of ...

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hi :) my aunt does Homestays for University students in QLD, but it's the same principal universally. Basically I think it's a great way to begin at University, particularly in the settling down part, plus you don't have to consider meals and washing etc... you'll get to converse with your host family of course before.
I believe they're run directly through the universitys... go look up accomodation.

Also do look into colleges... they're probably more fun and truely it depends on you :)

Conspirocy

HSC
buddy ive got a sock drawer i can empty so u can stay in that...think about it:uhhuh:

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
You run the risk of landing with a family ou don't get along with. In a college, you're with a bunch of people your own age and you inevitable forms freindships. If you don't, you probably have no life or personality to speak of ...
well the reasons why homestay would be a good alternative for me are

1) too late to apply now, UNSW colleges are all full
2) im scared it'll be too noisy, which will affect my work (but homestay might be noisy too). I plan to transfer from a dfee course to hecs!
3) what if the portrayal of colleges from van wilder or american pie is true? i'll be pretty freaked out.
4) it's cheaper than colleges i guess. and the quality of the food would be better!

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
uberlovesounds said:
well the reasons why homestay would be a good alternative for me are

1) too late to apply now, UNSW colleges are all full
2) im scared it'll be too noisy, which will affect my work (but homestay might be noisy too). I plan to transfer from a dfee course to hecs!
3) what if the portrayal of colleges from van wilder or american pie is true? i'll be pretty freaked out.
4) it's cheaper than colleges i guess. and the quality of the food would be better!
You come across as a focused individual who first and formost at uni to work.

From your post I would say a home stay is definately the most ideal option for you as:
- you dont want the independance of cooking for your self
- you want quiet
- youre not after the scores of friends and college life

To me the only perk of college is the social aspect of it, but the food, beds, lack of privacy, lack of freedom (to an extent) can really drive one insane!

Nows the time to go to the UNSW housing office (or check out their website, http://129.94.31.70/housing/default.htm you can search online)

Good luck.

HSC
hey ingoesout thanks! but i've tried that website you linked many times, and it always says "Sorry, you are only allowed to access the Listing Service Online from within the UNSW Wide Network." So what? I have to be in UNSW's intranet to do so? (i've tried logging in first at my.unsw first, still didn't work)

kitkatkittyau

HSC
I doubt all collages at UNSW are full, just two days ago I got a surprise phone call from Shalom offering me a place there. What really surprised me about the phone call was I didnt get an offer at UNSW in the first place. So yeah ring up housing at UNSW I'm sure they could help. But in the end its up to you and what your going to feel more comfortable in.

HSC
no way! wow! i emailed both of shalom and those kensington colleges two days ago, with shalom telling me they're completely full. and kensington saying i'll be put on a waiting list, "but don't get your hopes too high"..

don't really like the kensington colleges, heard the food isn't the best.. but what freaks me out the most is the communal toilet..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)