Honest advice on Band 5 English after bad results so far (1 Viewer)

moocow920

HSC
Any advice would be really appreciated, thankyou anyone in advance!

For the course I am interested in at uni, i need a band 5 in English. Last term i got 9/15 for a belonging essay worth 10-15% (bottom mark 8, top mark 14), and i have a belonging creative and book cover worth 10% due tuesday, as well as a speech on mod A worth 15%. Obviously i am unhappy with my mark last term, and i am trying really hard for the upcoming ones, but i don't feel like i am going very well in my preparation, and I am not expecting a good mark. If i go average, not terrible but not good, in these next two, and keep trying really hard to improve, is there any way i would still be able to get a Band 5? I am not a bad writer, but I have been having a lot of issues over yr 11/12 (can't apply for EAS), and I find English at school extremely boring and difficult, have a real mental block about it even though I am trying really hard. My school's rank changes between 20s and low 30s most years, but my cohort is fairly smart (best school certificate results of any cohort).

Thankyou so much!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Advanced or standard? Assuming advanced If I remember correctly almost half the advanced cohort across the state get a band 5 or higher. Considering that your school is highly ranked I doubt they mark "easily" so if you improve a bit across the year a band 5 is definitely possible.

moocow920

HSC
yes, advanced, sorry. Thanks for the help, I hadn't heard that statistic, if it's correct that's definitely encouraging

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
yes, advanced, sorry. Thanks for the help, I hadn't heard that statistic, if it's correct that's definitely encouraging
Np. For that statistic if you want you can check by playing around with marks on some of the ATAR calculators.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
A band 5 is definitely not out of the picture.

cheepy5

HSC
I got a raw assessment mark of 69/100 (hehehe) and a rank of about 30/60 ..... i ended up with a moderated assessment mark of 81 and an exam mark of 89, I thought i could'nt get a band 5 either but really if you have a strong cohort and do well in the externals you should be fine.

moocow920

HSC
ok, this made me feel a bit better, thankyou so much! all there is to do is just keep studying i guess

HSC
N/A
I SUCKED at adv english. I got like ~13/20s for my essays (but i did a little better in belonging) and i ended up with like, 86 in english. you'll be fine.

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
^
Really! you must be crazy lol, who would believe this story. getting 13/20, will get you a band 5, the truth is that you worked hard and scored top marks each assignment throughout the year.

Mate, keep you lies to your self.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)