honors (1 Viewer)

doingHSC

HSC
hi,
just say to do hounors in a course require credit average. Does that mean u have to get credit average in the final year or throughout the whole years?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Honours (Australia, chief).

It varies with the course and the major. Some require a credit average from first year on and the relevant pre-honours units to be taken, yet others require a credit average in the relevant units from second year on. We cannot say much more on the matter without knowing of the degree/s that you have applied for.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
and even with a credit average, you might not make it to Honours because you are competing against others for the same spots.

doingHSC

HSC
ohk, so the ranking is more vital (if u want to do honours). On average how many places are reserved for honours ( i know it may vary from course to course...i just want approximation)

oh and why is it so difficult to get good marks in uni (from what i heard).....do the lectures mark the exam paper harder? or the test has tricky questions?/too much stuff to learn? sorry bout ignorance

thx for replying

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
Thats right. Only a certain amount of places are avaliable for Honours
yes, and more specifically, if you want to do your honour in a particular topic, the professor/lecturer can only take 1 or 2 honours students, therefore, you are competing for your topic of interest as well. or else you could be studying something you don't believe in or like even when you're in honours.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
doingHSC said:
ohk, so the ranking is more vital (if u want to do honours). On average how many places are reserved for honours ( i know it may vary from course to course...i just want approximation)
thx for replying
See my above post. Usually 1 or 2 honours student per lecturer. And there maybe say 10 to 15 lecturers available for that year (or less).

doingHSC said:
oh and why is it so difficult to get good marks in uni (from what i heard).....do the lectures mark the exam paper harder? or the test has tricky questions?/too much stuff to learn? sorry bout ignorance
To illustrate only, in one semester of uni, you learn as much material covered in the HSC and of course, in more depth. Hmmm...I won't say tricky, but harder questions. You no longer have a syllabus to guide you, just the textbook and what you have learned in lectures and labs if in science.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well for eg. maths honours at usyd
you have to get a minimum of credit avg in all your senior maths subjects
also places are negotiable with lecturers. If you don't get a place but are really interested in a certain research area then you could talk to the coordinator and get special permission.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Like what you are doing in your bachelor degree, you pick some subjects and study them through lectures/tut etc.

doe

HSC
N/A
coursework is stuff like units with set topics and learning outcomes, its the stuff you do for your undergrad degree. research work involves projects with "unknowns" and the aim is to find the unknowns to prove a hypothesis true or false.

if you get in to honours or not really does depend on the degree. research degrees (ie phds or masters by research) in comp sci are basically free because theres very little demand so lots of places and scholarships. is something like psychology it is very compeditive to get a place.

having a relationship with the lecturers is important too. as the years roll by people drop out or specialize in their chosen field/major and the class sizes get smaller so you have more of a chance to get to know your lecturers and they get to know you too. this helps them pick people who have a genuine interest in research though maybe not the best academic record vs people who are doing honours just cause they couldnt get a job.

Last edited:

doingHSC

HSC
natstar said:
ive had some assignment were they deduct 1/2 mark per spelling error and grammer error, they are strict on the setting out of assignments etc.
WOAH 1/2 a mark per spelling mistake? That is tough, what subject was this?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
You have to rely on ur own notes and text book. Noone spoon feeds you. And its ni, they expect a lot more than high school. They are strict on referencing, research, lanaguage (ive had some assignment were they deduct 1/2 mark per spelling error and grammer error, they are strict on the setting out of assignments etc.
Sometimes you don't even get books. All the tourism subjects that I have done, we didn't get any textbooks, so we had to rely on lecture notes. But you learn eventually how to use these.
I remember in first semester how picky they were on referencing, I was deducted about 1 mark cause i kept putting the full stops in the wrong places for harvard referencing.

doingHSC

HSC
ohk so u dont get marked down in exams......that makes more sense. Thankyou

P.S. sorry i deleted my post accidently (i was mucking around wid it hehe)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)