Horology Horror: Opinions on buying a new watch (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Ive decided that it's time to participate in a bit of a coming-of-age tradition by buying myself a really nice watch. Ive shopped around and come up with a shortlist, but Im a bit indecisive as to which to buy. Im looking for a watch that I can wear forever which is timeless, distinctive and rugged. Ive always really wanted to get myself a Rolex, but Im not entirely sold on whether the brand and expense is justified. Im partial to a few other brands like Longines, Breitling and Omega which produce some nice stuff. Here is my short list with my thinking on them:

Rolex Submariner: It's a timeless design and looks great for work or the weekend. It's also quite rugged being a diver's watch so I know it will survive everyday wear. My biggest issue though is price and whether I will feel comfortable wearing something like that all the time.

Rolex GMT II: Pretty much same as the Sub, only it isnt as rugged but I like the addition of the timezone feature which the sub lacks

Rolex Datejust II: Great looking watch, but it definitely works better with formal than casual. It's cheaper than the Sub and GMT but Im not sure whether it's worth the cost considering the limited options

Omega Speedmaster Professional: Has an awesome history which suits me considering I am a massive space buff. Even though it looks great, Im not keen on the hesalite crystal face and the 50 metre water resistance. Also not too sure what to make of the manual wind and whether that will become annoying. Price isnt too bad, but still quite steep

Longines Hydroconquest: Decent watch considering the low price. It's heavy though and definitely doesn't feel as nice as the Omega/Rolexes.

So any thoughts/advice from the budding horologists out there? Does anyone have these watches and if so, thoughts?

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Have you tried using an automatic and/or manual winding watch for an extended period of time?

It'd suck getting the Speedmaster and then deciding later that you cbfed with winding it.

enoilgam

HSC
Have you tried using an automatic and/or manual winding watch for an extended period of time?

It'd suck getting the Speedmaster and then deciding later that you cbfed with winding it.
Ive never had an automatic or a manual before. Ill be honest, Im leaning towards the Omega - I dont think Ill mind winding it up mainly because it's pretty simple (the Omega salesperson showed me how). Also, I kind of prefer the manual because it is more authentic and traditional.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well, any mechanical watch is heaps more authentic/traditional than a quartz watch or smart phone/watch haha.

Sounds like the Omega has a lot going for it then - space/historic connection, good price compared to the submariner/GMT II and manual winding.

enoilgam

HSC
Well, any mechanical watch is heaps more authentic/traditional than a quartz watch or smart phone/watch haha.

Sounds like the Omega has a lot going for it then - space/historic connection, good price compared to the submariner/GMT II and manual winding.
Im definitely leaning towards it - the thing is I dont know if Ill regret going for the Omega over the Rolex. A Rolex is something Ive always wanted, but researching it and shopping around Im not 100% convinced. It just feels as if the price/hype doesn't really match the product (I think Rolex excel at contriving demand with their pricing/supplying strategy). Im happy to buy quality, but buying hype Im not into.

I also looked at the Breitling Navitimer, but I dont know whether it will suit my small wrist or whether it will go out when the whole big watch thing dies down.

enoilgam

HSC
So I ended up going with the Omega:

Seriously can't believe the size and detail of the box...

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Omega > Rolex

You've chosen well, and the watch looks like it suits you to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)