Hospitality (1 Viewer)

^emmie^

HSC
hey howd everyone do???

i think the long response questions were preety good um like when u first look at them your like SHIT what do i write but then when u think for a bit it wasnt to hard
i wish the question was on basic methods of cookery though cause i spent ages stuying them n we did so many essays on them in class damn ( i do commercial cookery)

question 21 was ok compared to what it could have been on but what did everyone interpret 'labour issue' to mean? that was confusing

cantfakeme

HSC
Hospitality Exam

did anyone else think that was reaaalllly reaallllly hard???? expecially the 15 marker on govt initiatives and labour issues and emerging markets???
my friend just wrote about the smokefree act.....

NeoTokyo

HSC
The long responses were nothing I expected. Question 22 was fine, though I expected it to be along the lines of preparing a dish, or producing a work flow.

As for Question 21 ... well I was completely oblivious to the question, though I admit I didn't put much emphasis on studying Develop and Update Industry Knowledge if that what it was based on.

To sum it all up, after our Hospitality students left the exam room, all 38 of us were like 'wtf' towards question 21.

NeoTokyo

HSC
Re: Hospitality Exam

You're not alone on that. Basically all the Hospitality students in my year freaked on that question after the exam has concluded. Even during the reading time, we were all like 'wtf' to question 21. I guess you can never be too sure of things.

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
I thought the exam was great! I got the short answers and multiple choice finished in 30 minutes, they were very straightforward!

I did quesion 22 first, because that was easy and straight forward.. but 21 wasn't that great really, it was very open when I'd been hoping for something more specific. Not many people at our school thought that much of it but they all wrote something that sounds pretty right. Hopefully i'll scrape through with 11-12/15 .. i kinda went 'wtf?' when i read it .. but leaving it to last rather than working on it straight away didn't help.

OneShotWill

HSC
Yeh 21 was kinda hard at first.. but after thinking.. i talked about the growing number of people wanting organic food. and thus business's raising sourcing new suppliers, and as organic foods are expensive.. the impact on the business was that they found it hard manage costs to offer value for money, and thats a customer expectation..

government incentives. was like there tourism ads in foreign countries. increasing tourism and immagration. EEO .. langauge barriers, working conditions and pay rates,, not to exploit the little asian people that would work 48hours for $2..

Question 22 ,, i talked about storage , mise on plus, work flow , personal hygiene, sanisatation..

hope im right haha..

ryryz

HSC

question 21? i think that was probably the hardest question but still very easy.

emerging markets, government initatives and labour issues.

i just linked identified emerging markets gave an example than linked it to government initatives eg:

the "liquor amendment act 2006(NSW)" of the liquor act 1982 put in place by the government for the world cup to extend times of service of alcohol. Shows government initatives through emerging trends such as soccer (australias first entry into world cup).

I than linked government initatives using examples to labour issues
such as the work place relations act and the eeo.

bossss777

HSC
N/A
wat exactly is an EMERGING MARKET ????? n wat did they mean by LABOUR ISSUES ....not happy jan

knotsandcrosses

HSC
ohhh i was happy with this exam.

Not sure if i was right for 21 though
for emerging markets?! uhh i just tried to work what that meant by breaking it down 'markets that are emerging'...so then i talked about trends in food and beverage and how the desires of the customers are always changing.
Ha. i dont know =/
Then for government incentives? i talked about law and smoking bans.. and how that impacted the hosp. industry
And for labour issues? i interpreted that as working issues so then i talked about IR laws and how that impacted the industry
LOL i seriously had no idea.

I hope i get some marks =/

baz07

HSC

Emerging markets where essentially new sources of customers to hospitality or new opportunities. I talked about ecotourism, increased business tourism and increased tourism from the south-east asian core.
For government inniatives i talked about legislation like most people, and also australian tourism promotion (although struggled with the last bit).
Then labour i again talked about legislation involving hiring, compensation etc.

Not a bad exam i dont think...

^emmie^

HSC
emerging markets- i tlked about new ppl coming from south east asia, and increase of demands which produces compeditiveness

gov incentitves- i tlkd bout legislation mainly smoke free environment, and RSI of alcohol

labour issues didnt really no wat it ment but wrote aout work choices n IR laws and then was stupid and wrote about physical labour eg manual labour lifting stuff haha feel like the biggest idiot lol i wrote on my paper that i didnt know what they meant by labour issues are u allowed to do that ??? meh ohwell

lenj

HSC
this thing says im hsc 05, but im actually 07.

but yeah with reference to question 21. i quite liked it.

it was from delevop and update under "issues affecting the hospitality industry"

Government initiatives - push for healthy eating in canteens, no smoking in public areas

Emerging markets - internet services, fast food outlets developing healthy menu's

Labor issues - high staff turnover within the industry, high cost of training/acquiring new staff.

well yeah. i THINK i did alright, only time will tell though aye :)

all the best for the rest or your exams !

huntz

HSC
ooh that exam today!!!!
where to begin!!!!
multiple choice was manageable.
short answer questions... were ok... butttttttttttt. a few problems were raised..... like the legislation about personal hygiene!! epp that should of been so easy for me. but i was stumped i firstly put the food act 1989.. but then put a line through it. and put the OH&S 2001 act. but i think thats wrong.

Question 21. - killed me. oh god. no really. my friend cried it was that bad..

and q. 22 commerical cookery. well i didnt fully finish it.. but i did a mind map so as they apparently give u the benefit of the doubt i hope i get some marks.

its just the fact thatttt all the study effort, tutoring after school just has come and gone for what?!!! probably a bad mark.

not a happy hsc camper.

bear869

Or seven!
HSC
lenj said:
this thing says im hsc 05, but im actually 07.

but yeah with reference to question 21. i quite liked it.

it was from delevop and update under "issues affecting the hospitality industry"

Government initiatives - push for healthy eating in canteens, no smoking in public areas

Emerging markets - internet services, fast food outlets developing healthy menu's

Labor issues - high staff turnover within the industry, high cost of training/acquiring new staff.

well yeah. i THINK i did alright, only time will tell though aye :)

all the best for the rest or your exams !

OOO how i hate you right now hahaha.. I'm in that boat where i had NO idea, nothign liek this was discussed in class, all of us walked out of the room going excuse me but WTF!?!?!?!?!?! oh well its over.. hopefully i'll get at least 3/4 of the exam right!!!

plutonus

HSC
I didn't find it that terrible, but I guess it depends on what you had studied. It was very different to what I was expecting however.

lenj

HSC
luckily for me, i go to a school where my hospitality teacher personally wrote our text book that we use for both the prelim and hsc course. they covered each topic really well, i'm hoping it works in my favour :)

thoughts on question 22?

i did commercial cookery, and loved the question. gave me a decent amount to write about.

made reference to misc en place, workflow planning, teamwork and all the presentation stuff, height, colour, contrast, etc. and garnishes. but yeah, the question was VERY broad. coulda been answered in alot of different ways.

HSC 2007 - 4/7

three more to go !

goodluck :)

Crholic

HSC
bossss777 said:
wat exactly is an EMERGING MARKET ????? n wat did they mean by LABOUR ISSUES ....not happy jan
i know what you mean!
WTF THAT EXAM WAS SO CRAP TALKED ABOUT RANDOM SHIT

kirra811

HSC
Q21 such a bad question.
I thought it was heaps general & everyone started leaving the exam after about an hour.
For emerging markets - aged people, ecotourism, students/people studying who usually work in the industry, intrastate tourists umm i think that was it.
Government - like most people talked about legislation, working visas.
Labour issues - Visas a bit here too, some IR stuff & the conditions of the industry e.g extended openeig hours.
Hopefully did ok.

^emmie^

HSC
what did everyone write about in Q22 commercial cookery
cause i just realised it said preparation does that include stuff like storgae and delivery

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
^emmie^ said:
what did everyone write about in Q22 commercial cookery
cause i just realised it said preparation does that include stuff like storgae and delivery
Well, it was on food preparation and presentation prior to and during service influencing customer expectations..

Food Preparation-
I can't remember what I said exactly, but I do know I talked about:

- Mise On Plus- preparing food properly because 'poor prep can't be covered up with good presentation'
- Storage- keeping food out of the danger zone and at the appropriate temp to prevent microorganism growth, because an outbreak of food poisoning negatively influences the customer's expectations.
- Personal hygiene- how the Food Act regulates minimum standards and these must be attained, and how the Environmental Health Officer enforces these standards.

Food Presentation-

- Garnishes- must be edible and appropriate for the dish, charcteristics of garnishes, can either compliment or contrast, gave examples of dishes and suitable garnishes.
- Sauces- talked about the characteristics of sauces, the importance of consistency (e.g. a thick gluggy sauce may be unappealing), how to test for consistency, how the sauce shouldn't be overpowering to detract from the dish etc.
- Crockery- importance of using the right crockery. not using chipped/cracked crockery as they provide perfect conditions for bacterial growth, appropriate size and shape for the serving size, appropriate temp (hot for warm/hot, cold for cold/frozen) and how not doing this can cause the dish to deteriorate appearance wise, must be clean and grease marks removed etc.

then I talked about holding temperatures and rethermalisation and how the customer's expectations of the food reflect their perceptions of the establishment and that they expect that they are to be served food that is safe to eat etc..

Blabbered on for a good 8 pages lol! Hopefully I'll get a good mark in this one to make up for my dismall attempt at Q21 lol!

edit: in presentation i also talked about the importance of height, colour etc.. lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)