How accurate is the university rankings? which one is the most objective one? (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Just one question, not that I still care about prestigious but why are there so many people saying that WSU is bad?
Well commonly the ATAR cut offs there are lower and they give out a lot of early entry things, so people think it's a worse uni because it is easier to get into. I can't really comment on the facilities and if they are good as I haven't been there. Maybe that statement is kind of true in terms of the quality of your peers will be lower as the ATAR cut offs are lower but I would assume that the academics are still good. So you kind of have to balance it against all the travel time and stuff, as if you live in the west WSU is pretty close but UNSW and USYD can take like 1-2 hours to get to for most people.

idkkdi

HSC
I don't see that at all. If anything, I think students here place more emphasis on the school they go to, which is why you frequently see students asking which uni is better for what, not to mention the relentless USYD/UNSW debates. In contrast, I never saw sort of discussion in the US. Also, American UG degrees are much more general, which is why students don't tunnel vision when choosing certain degrees like they do here. Higher degrees like med/law/pharmacy are only offered in grad school, and that's when they place some emphasis on picking better schools (and understandably so).
bruh, how has your location become austin, texas, USA?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I picked my uni choices solely based on rankings.

That's stereotype isn't it?
Having seen the work from my friends studying the same course as I do at other unis I've seen teaching quality varies a lot for the same course between unis as well and the general trend I've found is better ranked = more demanding workload and harder content.

However yes in the long run none of this matters. Rank may make things easier initially, such as getting internships, getting into companies etc but a good student will get in eventually nonetheless.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
on the left hand side of your posts under your blyatman picture it states location: Austin, Texas, USA. Just wondering how you ended up in Texas of all places?
Got accepted to do grad school there. Texas is not as redneck or middle-of-nowhere as people think lol. Regardless, I'm not there anymore, just too lazy to change it.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Not enough until I can beat this guy:

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Not enough until I can beat this guy:
Bruh how you gonna afford it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)