How are the scriptwriters MW's going? (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
So how are the script writers MW's going?

I'm really starting to enjoy it, and feel sort of like it's all coming together in terms humour and sophistication and all that. I'm doing a drama script by the way.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Likewise.

But, saying that, I've got a stack of work to do over the holidays.

monique66

Meh...so much work to do! I'm doing a screenplay. Man, this forum is so boring *hears echo*

Pointy Ears

HSC
Hehehhe. Damnation! Ur writing a screenplay as well!
Anyways, i dunno, I'm sorta struggling with mine right now, cos there are still so many holes in my story that im at a loss at what to do- i mean, ive sorta run outta ideas...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I know it's mundane but what fonts are yous using?

I'm still not sure whether to go with times new roman or Ariel. I was reading a thread somewhere else about this and some dude was saying that times new roman is easier to read, but I don't know if thats really true of SCRIPTS. I reckon that while times new roman is good for stories, essays and other such regular documents, the script looks better with the no-nonsense straight edges style of Ariel. Been doing a fair bit of thinking about this lately (I'm bored). Any thoughts?

monique66

Haha..you two amuse me...
I'm murdering my MW as we speak for it is 'le shithouse' as they say. Meh, i've just re-writen like 7 scenes and they still sound crap
Oh and as for the font..go with whatever you choose. Btw, if you have a scriptwriting program then just use that and forget about the font. With scripts they're not too fussed :)

monique66

Oh...btw, would it be fair to assume that each scene goes for about 1 miute or so? (give or take depending on the scene size) I think, i'll just get in under 30mins

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
30 scenes, that's quite a bit. Oh but of course, you're doing a screen play. Yes, it all makes sense now.

Different peoples major works will all have very different scene sizes. I only have 4 scenes and they presumably go for about 7 minutes each (or they should anyway).

How many scenes do the others scripts have btw?

monique66

i have 26ish atm but that is subject to change because of what i'm playing around with. Just a random question but are you guys using like a three-act structure or anything?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
No. I think that a requirement of the short-play is that it have one act. That is not an actual official requirement or anything, I just think that to do anything more than one act in 20-30 minutes is too ambitious. Short plays (and short scripts of all kinds) should have a fairly limited and simple focus (In my opinion), or else I think that a student would be trying to cover too much superficially as opposed to a deep probing of a specific theme etc.

monique66

Hmm...my screenplay relys on the more than one act solely because it develops the characters in such a way that little by little is revealed about their identity until pivital points within the film when you discover sizable chunks of their personality. However, is suppose it's different for plays as you can't keep changing again and again...maybe it has something to do with my flashbacks or the like, i dunno...

Pointy Ears

HSC
Hmmm, well, mines a script for a short film, so yea, i dun have to worry so much about acts and the like. So yea, i have around 20 scenes so far, give or take, and the length of each varies. In terms of fonts, i prefer Times New Roman for some reason, i dunno y, but its a piss off for me cos the scriptwriting software ive got doesnt allow the changing of the fonts, so now im stuck with Courier until i can force myself to convert it to word etc...

o jee, this suks, gotta finish the MW, the report, my various assigns AND stuudy for my trials.....anyways....OFF TO THE CITY! YAY!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Final Draft 7.0?

You can DL it from Limewire or BitTorrent or whatever you use. It's okaaaaaaay, but only for the (final draft). It's shit as a drafting tool, too organised...structured.

monique66

Yeah...i agree with Gavrillo, use word for the editing and then you whatever program for the final thing...changing it on scriptwriting software is a bitch :D

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
yeah, I reckon that I'll do that. There is really only oone thing I want the software for and this is just because I haven't figure out how to do it on Microsoft word. I want to have an indent between the characters name and their dialogue eg

AMY: I love everyone and reckon that
the world is tottally beautiful.

JACK: Yeah... tottaly...

AMY: Jack?! Were you even listening

JACK: What?

AMY: I pour my heart out for you and you just keep playing that stupid thing!

JACK: It's called a gameboy.

AMY: You love that gameboy more than you love life! You really are a joke aren't you.

JACK: Just hold on! I'm in the middle of defeating the big-boss.

AMY: You said that 5 minutes ago.

JACK: No I didn't.

AMY: So now you're calling me deaf?!

JACK: I said "boss", not "big-boss"...

AMY: I'm not going to get into an argument about semantics!

JACK: This isn't semantics, it's simple comprehension.

AMY: Shut up you bloody smart arse.

Well, you can imagine where it goes from here. So does anyone know how to create that gap between name and dialogue on something that's already been written?

Oh, and sorry for wasting everyones times with that truly terrible dialogue. I got a little carried away...

monique66

yeah, i'm doing that right now just make sure your page is left aligned then write the name 'Jack' or whatever then pres tab...simple! Actually, i press it twice (and i'm not even using that format anyhow, it's just so its legible for now)

lol at the dialogue...man my dialgue feels so rusty and boring. Oh well, can't expect much more for a serious piece...

Pointy Ears

HSC
Merh.
After hours of searchin a while ago, i found some free scriptwriting softwares.

1. Cinergy
2. Celtx (posted up by Veridis)

I havent got the actual sites rite now, but i think that if yous google it, you could find em.

And yea, ive been typing my drafts onto the software and yea, i asked a previous student, Monkey Butler how he managed to change the texts to the style demanded by the syllabus, and he just said that he copied and pasted from the software onto word, and then had to configure the script from there.

Its annoying aye?
Ahahah, btw, my whole script got deleted too when my comp caught a virus, and yea, luckily i had ONE hard copy of it, or i would have been dead. PHEW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)