how ATAR is calculated questions? (1 Viewer)

year10studentpreparin

HSC
So imagine if I got like 90 percent in all of my other assessments. considering the hsc makes up 50 percent of your ATAR do you have to score 90 percent on each atar exam to get a 95+ atar. Still confused on the lowest score you can get on your hsc exams while getting an over 95 atar

specificagent1

HSC
internal marks are moderated but essentially you need good ranks and score 90+ in the HSC exams

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In addition to the above, let's provide an overview of what HSC marks consist of, how they are determined and how this is related to your ATAR.

The Assessment Mark:

The Assessment Mark is the mark you receive that reflects your performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams. It contributes 50% of your HSC mark in a subject and is determined using a process called moderation. This process uses the following information to determine your Assessment Mark in a particular subject:
  • Your final rank - Your final rank in a subject is determined after you complete all your school-based assessment tasks/exams.
  • Examination Marks - This will be explained below.
The Examination Mark:

The Examination Mark is the mark you receive that reflects your performance in the HSC exam of a particular subject. It contributes the remaining 50% of your HSC mark and is determined using a process called alignment. This process involves using your raw mark on the HSC exam of a particular subject, which is the mark you receive on the actual paper which you don't receive. This mark is modified, the modified mark being the one you receive and is thus called the Examination Mark. In most instances, the Examination Mark is made higher than the raw mark.

The Examination Mark is also used to calculate the Assessment Mark of a student in a particular subject.

The HSC mark:

The HSC mark is the final mark a student receives in a particular subject. HSC marks are used to determine the student's ATAR and are determined by calculating the average of the student's Assessment Mark and Examination Mark. For example, if a student achieves 70 as their Assessment Mark and 90 as their Examination Mark, their HSC mark will be . Consider the diagram below:

1636069656627.png

The moderation process:

Moderation is the process used to determine a student's Assessment Mark in a particular subject. To keep things fair, NESA moderates (adjusts) school Assessment Marks so that they can be compared across schools. To do this, they use the Examination Marks, which are the only component that would allow them to achieve this fairness, because the only tasks that all students complete that is exactly the same and is marked in exactly the same way is the HSC exam. The highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. In the case of other ranks, the Assessment Mark will not equal its equivalent Examination Mark. However, it will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Assessment Mark was adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Assessment Mark was also adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark (50). However, the Assessment Mark for the student ranked third (74) is not identical to the third-highest Examination Mark (72).

Therefore, maximising your chances of receiving favourable Assessment Marks will require you to rank as high as possible relative to your cohort across your subjects.

To answer your question, the Assessment Mark you can achieve with 90's in your school-based assessment tasks/exams will depend on your rank relative to your cohort in addition to whether your cohort is academically capable. However, it would be safe to assume that you will need high marks across your subjects if you wish to achieve a 95+ ATAR, i.e. as many results in the band 6/E4 region as possible.

I hope this helps! :D

year10studentpreparin

HSC
In addition to the above, let's provide an overview of what HSC marks consist of, how they are determined and how this is related to your ATAR.

The Assessment Mark:

The Assessment Mark is the mark you receive that reflects your performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams. It contributes 50% of your HSC mark in a subject and is determined using a process called moderation. This process uses the following information to determine your Assessment Mark in a particular subject:
  • Your final rank - Your final rank in a subject is determined after you complete all your school-based assessment tasks/exams.
  • Examination Marks - This will be explained below.
The Examination Mark:

The Examination Mark is the mark you receive that reflects your performance in the HSC exam of a particular subject. It contributes the remaining 50% of your HSC mark and is determined using a process called alignment. This process involves using your raw mark on the HSC exam of a particular subject, which is the mark you receive on the actual paper which you don't receive. This mark is modified, the modified mark being the one you receive and is thus called the Examination Mark. In most instances, the Examination Mark is made higher than the raw mark.

The Examination Mark is also used to calculate the Assessment Mark of a student in a particular subject.

The HSC mark:

The HSC mark is the final mark a student receives in a particular subject. HSC marks are used to determine the student's ATAR and are determined by calculating the average of the student's Assessment Mark and Examination Mark. For example, if a student achieves 70 as their Assessment Mark and 90 as their Examination Mark, their HSC mark will be . Consider the diagram below:

1636069656627.png

The moderation process:

Moderation is the process used to determine a student's Assessment Mark in a particular subject. To keep things fair, NESA moderates (adjusts) school Assessment Marks so that they can be compared across schools. To do this, they use the Examination Marks, which are the only component that would allow them to achieve this fairness, because the only tasks that all students complete that is exactly the same and is marked in exactly the same way is the HSC exam. The highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. In the case of other ranks, the Assessment Mark will not equal its equivalent Examination Mark. However, it will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Assessment Mark was adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Assessment Mark was also adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark (50). However, the Assessment Mark for the student ranked third (74) is not identical to the third-highest Examination Mark (72).

Therefore, maximising your chances of receiving favourable Assessment Marks will require you to rank as high as possible relative to your cohort across your subjects.

To answer your question, the Assessment Mark you can achieve with 90's in your school-based assessment tasks/exams will depend on your rank relative to your cohort in addition to whether your cohort is academically capable. However, it would be safe to assume that you will need high marks across your subjects if you wish to achieve a 95+ ATAR, i.e. as many results in the band 6/E4 region as possible.

I hope this helps! :D
Wow! thank you for the extremely detailed response. I definitely have understood more about ATAR ranking now and how to achieve it

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it true, that Trials are worth 50% of the Assessment mark? Because if it is, I’m sweating for Biology and hopeful beat @Hivaclibtibcharkwa but I know that he is more of a sweat and he would win in anything related to Science.
I don't believe that trials can be allocated a 50% weighting as there are specific weighting criteria set by NESA in terms of other school-based assessment tasks/exams that must be met by schools. For example, in the case of English Advanced, the maximum weighting for a Trial HSC Exam is 30%

Wow! thank you for the extremely detailed response. I definitely have understood more about ATAR ranking now and how to achieve it
No worries! All the best!

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Haha essentially don’t have a teacher for chem, so I’m years behind on it. But I’m grinding to learn the content in time for hsc. So you’ll probs beat me on that

But in biology?
View attachment 33468
Nope, chemistry your going higher than me. I’m clueless when it comes to calculations, honestly don’t know why I chose chemistry when I’m doing Standard Maths 2 😫

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Nope, chemistry your going higher than me. I’m clueless when it comes to calculations, honestly don’t know why I chose chemistry when I’m doing Standard Maths 2 😫
damn bro is it rlly that maths oriented. Like can someone still do well in chemistry with standard math

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
damn bro is it rlly that maths oriented. Like can someone still do well in chemistry with standard math
I mean you could do well in Chemistry with Standard Maths, but the calculations, you need to emphasis more on understanding the calculation than practicing it. This was a struggling when we were doing titration calculations as I got different results a compared to the students who did higher maths than me, but my teacher was nice enough to give me more support with the calculations than others because I was the only student doing Standard Maths in the class and she felt like she would help me to achieve high because of how I do well in all her experiments and theory based lessons but when It comes to calculations my brain flattens like a balloon. So if your choosing chemistry with standard maths don’t be shy and stay quiet, ask your teacher if you don’t get a certain calculation, they not gonna bite your head off, because you can’t calculate the concentration, the heat capacity or even the enthalpy.

icycledough

HSC
I don't believe that trials can be allocated a 50% weighting as there are specific weighting criteria set by NESA in terms of other school-based assessment tasks/exams that must be met by schools. For example, in the case of English Advanced, the maximum weighting for a Trial HSC Exam is 30%

No worries! All the best!
What I can add to that is that for my cohort last year, where we only had two internal tasks before trials (because of Covid, one task got cancelled), they had to increase the weightings. So that meant our Chemistry and Physics exams were 50 or 60% each, meaning the remaining 50 or 40% came from a depth study and another internal exam on the earlier modules. That was pretty much the defining exam in terms of your assessment mark, which helped some people, but I felt like screwed over a lot more people. So normally, there is a 30 or 40% cap I believe, but because of Covid, they had to weight the trials much more.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
actually nvm they can
I mean you could do well in Chemistry with Standard Maths, but the calculations, you need to emphasis more on understanding the calculation than practicing it. This was a struggling when we were doing titration calculations as I got different results a compared to the students who did higher maths than me, but my teacher was nice enough to give me more support with the calculations than others because I was the only student doing Standard Maths in the class and she felt like she would help me to achieve high because of how I do well in all her experiments and theory based lessons but when It comes to calculations my brain flattens like a balloon. So if your choosing chemistry with standard maths don’t be shy and stay quiet, ask your teacher if you don’t get a certain calculation, they not gonna bite your head off, because you can’t calculate the concentration, the heat capacity or even the enthalpy.
thanks bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)