How did you cope with driving test nerves? (1 Viewer)

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
How did you cope with driving test nerves?

It won't be that long until I take my test, and i was wondering what everyone did to cope with nerves when you went for your P's. Any tips or suggestions?

Did anyone take any natural supplements (not prescription meds) to reduce anxiety - something mild that is definitely safe to use while driving?

Last edited:

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Just be confident, but remember that if you fail, its not the end of the world. I failed my first attempt (although I shouldnt of, road works and an uncovered speed sign) and then passed on the second.

Maybe have a Red Bull before or something, don't take any relaxants, you might fall asleep/loose concentration

CieL

HSC
I didnt get driving nerves..

I waited patiently for my test, walked to my car with the dart man, laughed, had a joke when I unlocked with my remote key and all my blinkers went off so he didnt have to check, got annoyed when it started raining, he praised me when I could turn on the windscreen a/c without taking my eyes off the road (altho I did take one hand off the wheel).. helped him out of the car because I parked in a tight spot, went back in, got my pic and licence, done..

I think what helped me was to get friendly and laugh with the examiner before we hopped into the car..

lengy

HSC
Grow a backbone? I'd say timid drivers are more likely to screw up if something sudden and surprising popped up. They wouldn't be able to deal with the situation.

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
lengy said:
Grow a backbone? I'd say timid drivers are more likely to screw up if something sudden and surprising popped up. They wouldn't be able to deal with the situation.
In everyday driving I am not timid - I have been having a lot of lessons lately and am feeling way more confident behind the wheel. My instructor said that I am a good, safe driver and is very confident that I will pass.

Years ago when I was 17 I went for my P's and failed the test twice (in test 1 I had to drive in torrential rain - I had never driven in heavy rain until that day, and had been taught by my old instructor to rely heavily on mirrors for reverse parking (on the day my mirrors were fogged up and wet, so I couldn't use them). I then did an instant fail right near the RTA.

In the second test the weather was perfect, but I was really nervous during the test and made silly mistakes.

I am really determined to pass my test this time around - I am 23 now and really need a license. I just don't want to be really nervous in the test, when I know that I am more than capable of driving.

I am just interested in hearing how other people dealt with nerves during their test. I have also been reading tips online and many people recommend taking 'Rescue Remedy' before the test.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
If you know you're more than capable of driving, there is no need to be nervous during the test.

I guess you could just imagine the tester as your usual instructor?

And I have never heard of "rescue remedy".. but it sounds gay.. as if you need drugs to do a 10min practical.. just treat is like a trip to the shops or something.. like when you go shopping you might go towards the wrong road n do a 3 pt turn.. then you'll need to find a parking space.. n it's peak hour and you stopped on a hill n dont want the car to roll back.. idk.. I just wouldnt stress so much just because it requires you to drive with a stranger scribbling notes next to you.. I just blocked him out until he gave me instructions.. Kept my eyes on the road n drove like I usually do..

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
If you know you're more than capable of driving, there is no need to be nervous during the test.

I guess you could just imagine the tester as your usual instructor?

And I have never heard of "rescue remedy".. but it sounds gay.. as if you need drugs to do a 10min practical.. just treat is like a trip to the shops or something.. like when you go shopping you might go towards the wrong road n do a 3 pt turn.. then you'll need to find a parking space.. n it's peak hour and you stopped on a hill n dont want the car to roll back.. idk.. I just wouldnt stress so much just because it requires you to drive with a stranger scribbling notes next to you.. I just blocked him out until he gave me instructions.. Kept my eyes on the road n drove like I usually do..
Rescue remedy isn't a drug - it is made with Flower Essences (I have never tried anything like this, but a lot of people claim it has been useful to use during driving tests).

Thinking of the driving test does make me anxious - I can't seem to help it :( .

One thing I plan on doing is not to tell any friends/family when I do eventually go for my test. That way if I fail it will only be between myself and my instructor. And if I pass then I can share the news with everyone after. :)

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Do you eat it?
Or just rub it on your temples or something?

But nar... chillout fainty... you've had years of experience and this is third time lucky... you'll get it for sure!

I went to the RTA abt an hour beforehand.. and checked out who was examining.. there was a young bloke and an old bloke.. I got worried for a split second because my guy [old bloke] failed the last 3 people before me.. but I just observed the type of person he was, got along with him, did what I was supposed to, and passed..

Dont let the nerves of the past interfere with what you're going to do. Just realise what you did wrong, how you're not going to do it again, and do the right thing this time.

Good luck =]

Jiga

Yeah if you can drive then dont worry! Driving every day in traffic on your L's is harder then the test where you drive like a granny, so relax. Also put some crucifxes around your dash lol, I drove my mums car and she is prity religious... I recon the instructor saw that stuff and must have thought that Im not some hoon or whatever, because I did ordinary in my test by my standards at least but still passed first go.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Everyone get a little nerves at some point before their test but it's important to not get to nerves during the test as that is when mistakes happen. I was lucky like many who posted here to have a good testing officer who talked to me throughout the test and was friendly and wouldn't get angry when I asked him to repeat or confirm an instruction. Basically relax and be nice to them because chances are they will be nice to you.

You have done your hours, you should know your stuff now you just have to prove it don't let something like nerves stop you. If you don't do so well it's not the be all there is always another chance to prove yourself.

And I don't recommend taking anything you have to get used to dealing with situations like test etc as driving at times can be a little nerve wracking and you need or wits about you not grabbing the nearst remedy.

Good luck! :)

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
I got my P's today! Yay!

I didn't take anything for my nerves - I just tried really hard to keep a level head during the test. The test did feel quite surreal!

bizadfar

HSC
Congratulations!

In my first test, while reverse parking. I Kind of fell asleep and just forgot to turn the wheel, so I almost hit the kerb. Wake up call came in, pulled out and redid it. All good!

CieL

HSC
Congrats!

Now you shall know what it feels like to be a D-driver =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)