How do I know if it is safe to stop at a yellow light? (1 Viewer)

cockamamie

HSC
I get anxious when I approach a traffic light as I get nervous when the light turns yellow. On numerous occasions, I have braked suddenly and dangerously for a yellow light even though I should have gone through. How can I judge if I am too close to stop safely at a yellow light? I am a new Learner driver.

D94

HSC
N/A
I get anxious when I approach a traffic light as I get nervous when the light turns yellow. On numerous occasions, I have braked suddenly and dangerously for a yellow light even though I should have gone through. How can I judge if I am too close to stop safely at a yellow light? I am a new Learner driver.
Make a mental decision saying you will go through at that point when it's a green light. That point will depend on the posted speed since the amber light time will depend on the speed limit. Do a mental calculation of how far that point is, but of course as you drive more, it will become natural. Most importantly, if at a green you decide to go, don't go back on that decision. Just go.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Since you are a learner driver, just do this for now, later on you'll become more confident in driving and you'll be able to make the right decisions, for now, as you approach the traffic light start braking slightly, even if it's green, that way if it turns yellow, you're already slowly slowing down (if that makes sense) and it'll be easier for you to make smoother breaks, if you're closer to the traffic light and it turns yellow, then at the moment you should know you're close enough to continue.

Jeff_

HSC
Also make sure 5 seconds or so before you pass the traffic lights, look at the rear mirrors to see if anyone is behind you. This is so if the lights turn yellow, you can brake safely depending on how far the car is behind you. If someone is tailgating you then you should continue to proceed at the yellow lights, as hard braking may cause the guy behind to crash into you.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
It's often called the 'point of no return', you must keep going if it's unsafe to stop before the red light appears.

It's something which you will develop instinctively as you learn to drive more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)