how do u avoid writing too much for s1 1/2/3 mark q's (1 Viewer)

rink

HSC
My main problem with section 1 is that i write wayyy too much for 1 markers and 2 markers and 3markers. I dunno how not to coz i think everyhting is relevant......then when it gets to the 6marker my 40mins for that section is already up. Does anyone have any suggestions about how i can avoid this??? im really stressing

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
know the key words
e.g identify-name it...
evaluate-that will be for a long answer
similarly with compare and contrast

Don't waste words, this wastes time
e.g. repeating the question or writing stuff as "it can be said..." "it can be seen in the text..."
dont do that :)

Good luck

U sure r asking alot of questions rink :p

rink

HSC
yep but i still write heaps......i was thinking maybe i could start section 1 with the 6 marker. so like answer the 6marker first and then answer the others......can we do this? they shouldnt have a problem with it. Good luck to u 2 gc

p.s u sure r answering alot of q's goan:p

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You essentially only need to introduce one point(maybe two for certain questions) and an example for each mark's worth of value per question, and do it in sentence form of course. Also make sure you answer it relevantly by understanding what the "BoS language" means. There's a glossary posted here so check it out.

rink

HSC
ok 2 questions......for the 1markers do we have to quote from the stimulus or can we just make a random point about what the stimulus tells us about journeys (or whatever the q is) and then move on

q2 - if it's a 6marker, does that mean we need to talk about atleast 6techniques to get full marks or, is say, 4 sufficient?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
rink said:
ok 2 questions......for the 1markers do we have to quote from the stimulus or can we just make a random point about what the stimulus tells us about journeys (or whatever the q is) and then move on

q2 - if it's a 6marker, does that mean we need to talk about atleast 6techniques to get full marks or, is say, 4 sufficient?
If a question for 1 mark asked you to say whether something was in first person or not you would say:
"Yes/No, this text has/hasn't been composed in the first person[insert brief example]."
You can't make unsubstantiated points, it needs an example of some sort from the stimuli text to prove it and get you the mark, which shouldn't be that hard.
If you were asked a 5 or 6 marker you would be expected to raise a similar amount(ie same amount as the questions worth or slightly more) of points and back them up(with brief examples).

rink

HSC
k thanks, but that didnt really answer my second section. What i mean is.....generally when u get for example a question like ''how has the composer conveyed the importance of journeys'' (2marks) ur meant to make 2 relevant points and TWO TECHNIQUES.....now my q is, with the 6mark q, would that mean that u have to talk about 6 techniques? or will 4 techniques as well as compare and contrasting (depending on the q) or whatever be sufficient.............in other words for a 6mark q, do u have to do atleast 6 techniques to get full marks? and do these techniques have to be different to the ones you've already mentioned in question 1 part c or can they be the same

thanks

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
rink said:
k thanks, but that didnt really answer my second section. What i mean is.....generally when u get for example a question like ''how has the composer conveyed the importance of journeys'' (2marks) ur meant to make 2 relevant points and TWO TECHNIQUES.....now my q is, with the 6mark q, would that mean that u have to talk about 6 techniques? or will 4 techniques as well as compare and contrasting (depending on the q) or whatever be sufficient.............in other words for a 6mark q, do u have to do atleast 6 techniques to get full marks? and do these techniques have to be different to the ones you've already mentioned in question 1 part c or can they be the same

thanks
It actually did answer your second question - at least the same amount of points as marks. So if its a six marker you'd raise six points with examples to back each up, what points they must be and how you deal with them are part of the BoS lingo which I linked to earlier. And considering each question is a separate entity I can't see why you couldn't re-use info but the questions will generally be written so that this shouldnt happen overly much.

rink

HSC
ok so for the 6 markers, to get full marks i need to do
6 points
6 techniques
6 examples (ie quotes)
????
Thanks heaps kami, very nice of u

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
rink said:

thanks
you're talking yourself into circles doll. it's not so hard --> for your questions worth smaller marks, remember that they're not looking for an in-depth analysis of the text. they're looking for you to make two points about journeys which are shown through two separate techniques. that's it. make your points and move on. use your 10 minutes reading time to plan the most important points and use them.
with a 5/6 mark question at the end remember: mention all your texts and make a decision on which best conveys the message of journeys (thats pretty much the essence of what you'll be asked). Pick a thematic aspect of journeys and whichever one has more techniques go for it, compare to the others using one technique for each and conclude that the text that goes most in-depth (according to your specific thematic analysis) conveys journeys best. then finish.

the only other thing i can suggest is to divide up your time. ie. the whole section is worth 15 marks and you have 40 minutes, so work out how many minutes per mark that is and roughly time yourself and stop if you're going over.

sly fly

HSC
I'd like to know that too. Can we use the techniques that we used in the 2/3markers for a particular text, again in the 5/6mark question? Or does all of it have to be new techniques?
Thanks

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
sly fly said:
I'd like to know that too. Can we use the techniques that we used in the 2/3markers for a particular text, again in the 5/6mark question? Or does all of it have to be new techniques?
Thanks
As far as I know, you can use the ones already used along with additional techniques.

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
yer u can definately repeat the same techniques... my teacher told our class that it doesnt matter if you've written the same techniques as the comprehension questions are divided up into smaller parts... and they dont really care so long as they were good in the first place...
she's a marker for the comprehension so im really believing her...

Bokky

HSC
Rink, thats a good question, and ill answer it for you in a full brief summary of what i think they ask u to write for your full marks. heres an example question from a past paper from another school:

"Each of these texts offers a particular perspective on journeys. Compare and contrast the perspectives on the journey in any TWO of these texts. In your discussion, comment on the form and features of both texts. (5 MARKS)"

so, Perspective of journeys in each text: 1 mark,
Compare perspective of journeys in each text: 1 mark,
Contrast perspective of journeys in each text: 1 mark,
For commenting on the form of both texts: 1 mark,
For commenting on features (ie techniques) of both texts: 1 mark

hope that helps and good luck Rink :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)