how do u get a high band 6 in english? (1 Viewer)

HSC
k i just came to australia a couple of years ago n im kinda worried about how hard the english is year. im planning to do advanced for HSC but currently im a band 5 student in english. i wanna know how to get a high band 6 in HSC advanced english as its the only subject which i find to be very difficult to get a high mark in it.. so any good study tips?

dp624

HSC
Write a high band6 essay in preparation
Memorise it
Work on your 'adapting' skills

I got 96 with that

Peteage

HSC
digimonstudent said:
k i just came to australia a couple of years ago n im kinda worried about how hard the english is year. im planning to do advanced for HSC but currently im a band 5 student in english. i wanna know how to get a high band 6 in HSC advanced english as its the only subject which i find to be very difficult to get a high mark in it.. so any good study tips?
You need to start your sentences with capitals and use "want to" instead of "wanna".

I got a low band 6 mark in my HSC, I memorised all of my essays and they happened to be very appropriate responses to the questions, but you need to be able to mold them well if you need to. If you do memorise your essays make sure they are original, this is achieved by not using study guides as markers recognise commonly used phrases from common resources.

Realistically for a high band 6 you need to be able to write an essay on the spot very well, having a set of notes on the texts techniques.

HSC
Peteage said:
You need to start your sentences with capitals and use "want to" instead of "wanna".

I got a low band 6 mark in my HSC, I memorised all of my essays and they happened to be very appropriate responses to the questions, but you need to be able to mold them well if you need to. If you do memorise your essays make sure they are original, this is achieved by not using study guides as markers recognise commonly used phrases from common resources.

Realistically for a high band 6 you need to be able to write an essay on the spot very well, having a set of notes on the texts techniques.
lol i mind my spelling n punctuation when im writing but not when im typing.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
In advanced English they are more concern about the way you interpret your text than aesthetic parts of your essay (e.g. grammer and big words...). You basically need to show you have a mature understanding of the text you are doing (e.g. through dark imageries...explores the underlying cruelty of society...author exploits world war II context...). Most important thing is never ever write in narrative structure.

erm

HSC
just brush up on your bullshitting skills and you're halfway there.

Gerald10

HSC
I got a low band 6 (but a 94 exam mark) at a school which notoriously struggles with english. We have about 3 low band 6s since my time at the school.

First thing to do is look very closely at the rubric and find out what the examiners are likely to ask. Prepare techniques and quotes so that by the time of the exam you have 80 mins of knowledge to get out in 40 mins, then just pick and choose what best suites the question so that you can write a logical and coherent argument. Remember your not listing techniques your writing an argument for or against a proposition using the text to back up that argument.

To really get the top top marks Id work on expressing yourself clearly and eloquently. Grasp your texts first then look at expanding your vocabulary.

For creative writing (I dont know if you do it anymore) prepare something ORIGINAL. If its original and well written then you wont have a problem.

HSC
do u guys suggest any books which would help with advanced english? i'm talking bout a textbook or a study guide.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Get tutoring.
only go to somoene who knows what they are doing (that rules out most 08er's), as in like a professional tutor, because english is one of thos esubjects where you need to be really good at it in order to be able to teach someone else

also, if you have a good teacher, just work hard - if you don't, then you might wanna get a tutor

i basically had a great teacher and just did what was asked of me (i was expecting high band 5)

HSC
Okay i know this may sound mean (but it's not supposed to), but consider choosing ESL english for your HSC.

Band 5 is really good already, but maybe you should consider doing ESL english. You should be eligible to.

The syllabus will be much more managable, straight forward and you'll feel less pressured or stressed out by people whose first language is english around you.

It's not a bad option if it is available at your school. One of my good friends did ESL and her UAi was somewhere about 98 +, so if you do well it wont do your uai any harm at all.

Hope that helps :)

jasmineIStheSEX

HSC
i agree. stick to ESL and even get some tutoring. your uai shouldnt be affected that badly by it !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)