How do we determine our aligned marks? (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~GeNie~Na~BotL~ said:
how do we align our marks...????????
You should use the following two resources in conjunction with advice from your teachers:
<ul><li>HSC Standards Packages
<li>HSC Exam Student Answers Books
</ul>This will allow you to at least determine which band you're likely to fall into, and possibly whether you'll be at the upper or lower end of that band. Beyond that, you'll need to use your own discretion; the Board hasn't released enough data for us to tell you.

Updated: The Board is now providing all standards packages online for free!

shokk

Aligned marks

'Hsc assessment mark': do we enter our school assessment mark, what we think were going to score in the HSC, or a combination of the two 50/50 (if thats how it works)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The aligned HSC mark, which is what SAM accepts, should be the average of your aligned examination mark and your moderated school assessment mark (which is more or less your raw assessment mark once it has been aligned).

I suppose it can seem a little confusing. As an alternative, you could attempt to estimate your position in the state by examining the percentile values.

Sanchez__

HSC
The way I attempted to predict my aligned marks is both from how people (mainly my brother who did similar subjects to me) in previous years at my school went with similar ranks as well as the percentiles which you can look at on SAM. You will have to investigate your own school if your interested but you probably cant if you dont have a brother or someone easy to compare to. So for the percentiles, for example, in english if you have a fairly good rank in your school and think you might be about top 7% of the state adjust your aligned mark until it says in the state percentile 'top 7%' which is an aligned mark of 90. Do that for each of your subjects then submit to get a decent idea of what your uai might be like.

I suppose a good way to estimate your percentile is to see what your rank turned out to be in your school. So if your coming 7th out of 100 then probably about 7th percentile, although for selective school might be higher or worse if your school isnt so great.

Having said that if you dont understand aligned marks my understanding is:
As others said it is a combination of your exam mark and assesment mark in 50/50 ratio. So if you get 90 in exam and 80 in assessment then 85 aligned mark.

Exam mark is based on how well you did in the HSC exam only. The assessment mark is based on your assessment mark from school. It does not matter what the actial marks your school gives you are but rather I think they average your schools exam marks to find out how school is. They then space the assessment marks with the same spacing that your school gave you. So the first person gets the best exam mark from yoru school as assessment mark. If the person that comes second is very close then their assessment mark is very close but if they were a long way behind in assessments then their assessment mark from board of studies is a long way behind.

To entre your aligned marks into SAM though you dont really need to worry about that. You should generally have a certain level of academic prowess and if nothing out of the ordinary happens that is how you will go so if you can work out how good you are then put in some marks according to that you should get a fairly accurate approximation of how you will go.

kofmaster

Lazarus said:
The aligned HSC mark, which is what SAM accepts, should be the average of your aligned examination mark and your moderated school assessment mark (which is more or less your raw assessment mark once it has been aligned).

I suppose it can seem a little confusing. As an alternative, you could attempt to estimate your position in the state by examining the percentile values.

for the real uai don't they take ur raw hsc mark n ur raw assesment mark??
or do they take the one which has been alligned already then scale it
which would mean effectivly
say if i got a hsc of 86 for physics they while take that and then scale it???

emmo

help please

ok i think i did something wrong with my aligned marks..... i found out my assessment averages and put that with my trial mark so make an aligned mark... then when i entered that in it gave me a UAI in the high 40's.... i know i am not going to get in the 40's well i hope not anyway so whats going wrong....

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
determining your aligned mark requires some guessing.... It depends on the dificulty of the assessments and trials.

have you had a look at the standards packages?

emmo

yeah cause i know my school marks quite hard, k where do i get the standards packages from

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Lazarus said:
You should use the following two resources in conjunction with advice from your teachers:

<ul><li>HSC Standards Packages
<li>HSC Exam Student Answers Books
</ul>This will allow you to at least determine which band you're likely to fall into, and possibly whether you'll be at the upper or lower end of that band. Beyond that, you'll need to use your own discretion; the Board hasn't released enough data for us to tell you.
from here.....

warlivoecks

ITS IMPOSSIBLE IT ALLIGN UR MARK!!!!

it is not a mere 50/50 of exam and assessment.....it is scaled and lots of things are done to it..essentially, ur assessment mark isnt worth shit...its ur rank that counts...so if u ranked first in ur class, then the BOS expects u to get the highest mark in ur final exam..then things are scaled accordingly..if u F*d up all yr and then u ace the exams, ull do really well..

my friend who got 99 last yr got an english adv assessment mark of 62, and a hsc exam mark of 97..that brought her "alligned mark" or actual mark to 93. Hence if u did shit all year, THERE IS STILL HOPE!!

peace out....

jp

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
warlivoecks said:
ITS IMPOSSIBLE IT ALLIGN UR MARK!!!!

it is not a mere 50/50 of exam and assessment.....it is scaled and lots of things are done to it..essentially, ur assessment mark isnt worth shit...its ur rank that counts...so if u ranked first in ur class, then the BOS expects u to get the highest mark in ur final exam..then things are scaled accordingly..if u F*d up all yr and then u ace the exams, ull do really well..

my friend who got 99 last yr got an english adv assessment mark of 62, and a hsc exam mark of 97..that brought her "alligned mark" or actual mark to 93. Hence if u did shit all year, THERE IS STILL HOPE!!

peace out....

jp
lets get some definitions clear,

when we refer to assessment mark we refer to the aligned HSC assessment mark rather than the school assessment mark. This is 50/50 with the aligned HSC exam mark.

of course you cannot usually directly use your school assessment marks to judge your UAI, that is where the standard's packages come in.

"
"

so on her result's sheet it said

assessment mark / exam mark / hsc mark

?

if so then that is strange.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think warlivoecks (or "jp") is missing a few details. :)

warlivoecks

jm1234567890 said:
lets get some definitions clear,

when we refer to assessment mark we refer to the aligned HSC assessment mark rather than the school assessment mark. This is 50/50 with the aligned HSC exam mark.

of course you cannot usually directly use your school assessment marks to judge your UAI, that is where the standard's packages come in.

"
"

so on her result's sheet it said

assessment mark / exam mark / hsc mark

?

if so then that is strange.
hey...

yea i kno all the definitions and all...lol..although i mite be dumb..im not that dumb...lol...

but yea..thats what is said on her results sheet..i was heaps surpised aswell.

But what do mean when u say standards packages? From my knowledge, that is the thing the BOS releases and it has like sample answers from the previous year, and they have like exemplar, band 5/6, 4/5 etc....
Is there somthing else in those that i am unaware of or am i just wrong??

i dont mean to be actimng like i kno everything, but from my knowledge and experience with the hsc, they do not directly take ur assessment as 50% of hsc mark....this is because some schools mark harder than others etc...thats why ur ranking matters most. That way they can fairly determine what u are capable of.

peace and all the best for ur exams guys...

jp

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
"
But what do mean when u say standards packages? From my knowledge, that is the thing the BOS releases and it has like sample answers from the previous year, and they have like exemplar, band 5/6, 4/5 etc....
Is there somthing else in those that i am unaware of or am i just wrong??
"

standards packages are sample answers that will get an aligned HSC Exam mark of a specified value. ie. a band 5/6 sample would have gotten around 90 aligned mark.

"
i dont mean to be actimng like i kno everything, but from my knowledge and experience with the hsc, they do not directly take ur assessment as 50% of hsc mark....this is because some schools mark harder than others etc...thats why ur ranking matters most. That way they can fairly determine what u are capable of.
"

as laz said, i think you are missing something...
the aligned assessment marks are calucalted from school assessment ranks/distribution and the aligned HSC Exam mark....
the dificulty of school assessments don't come into the caluculation of aligned HSC assessment marks...

"
but yea..thats what is said on her results sheet..i was heaps surpised aswell.
"

mabye it was a misprint? though very unlikely

warlivoecks

lol..

ok..uve confused me...

nah i understand what ur saying, but i till think that its impossible to determine ur alligned mark...

doesnt it also depend on how everyone else does? I dont kno....all i say is try ur best and then u get what u get

peace

jp

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
warlivoecks said:
lol..

ok..uve confused me...

nah i understand what ur saying, but i till think that its impossible to determine ur alligned mark...

doesnt it also depend on how everyone else does? I dont kno....all i say is try ur best and then u get what u get

peace

jp
yes, it does depend on how everyone else goes.

That doesn't mean you can't determine a value that is very close.
of course it is impossible to determine exactly.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
yes, it does depend on how everyone else goes.
No, it doesn't... marks are aligned according to standards, not relative achievements.

It's possible for the entire state to get marks in Band 6.

Though I doubt the entire state will ever be that good.

warlivoecks

haha....thankyou...we've reached a truce!

but do u kno (and this is way off topic.) ....i am doing 12 units. and my lowest 2 units so far are eng adv..but i am also doing eng ext 1 & 2 and im doing really well in them...that means that they are the only english units that'll count yea? Cause i was thinking of flunking the exam but didnt want to in case the adv marks will count....

thanks

jp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)