How do you approach a text? (1 Viewer)

lolzlolz

HSC
- do you read a summary of it first?
- how do you find quotes?

HSC
Firstly, familiarise yourself with the context and the composer's ideologies or purpose. Next, consult the rubric and understand what it is asking of you, and understand the themes of the text. This will make finding quotes easier as you read through the text because you'll know what is and isn't significant to the author's purpose, the text's themes, or the rubric. Make use of good analysis and popular quotes you find online, but have a bank of quotes that you personally understand and like so you stand out from everyone else.

lolzlolz

HSC
Firstly, familiarise yourself with the context and the composer's ideologies or purpose. Next, consult the rubric and understand what it is asking of you, and understand the themes of the text. This will make finding quotes easier as you read through the text because you'll know what is and isn't significant to the author's purpose, the text's themes, or the rubric. Make use of good analysis and popular quotes you find online, but have a bank of quotes that you personally understand and like so you stand out from everyone else.
thank you! 😀

mammamia123

HSC
N/A
lol what i wish someone had told me beforehand is buy a state rankers essay to get an idea of what markers like and just try to follow that/ use it as a guide when looking for quotes/themes

cuz english marking is so subjective so better to just go with what has worked before

lolzlolz

HSC
lol what i wish someone had told me beforehand is buy a state rankers essay to get an idea of what markers like and just try to follow that/ use it as a guide when looking for quotes/themes

cuz english marking is so subjective so better to just go with what has worked before
👍

HSC

Well, don't forget that 100s of people buy state rank essays, which is why it's a good idea to come up with original analysis or unique quotes if you can.

Wizjaro

HSC
If you want to approach a text well. My personal opinion is to consult the rubric first to get a general gist of what is expected of you. Then I would recommend just diving right into the book to get a good idea of the plot, ideas and key scenes. Then I would look at context and try to see how it justifies the brainstormed ideas which align with the rubric. Once you've finally done all of this I recommend revisiting powerful/impactful scenes in your opinion and finding quotes to support those ideas. For instance when I read an Artist of the Floating World, after I had an idea about reconciliation, I went to a scene where Ono and Matsuda were having a chat and looked for a good quote to prove my point. In my opinion I'm more of a the text should be your personal interpretation, so I don't recommend reading other peoples ideas and stuff before you come up with your own or else your ideas will automatically be clogged or just repeats of others. Also contrary to popular belief, It is possible to consistently do well in English despite its perceived subjectivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)