How do you effectively study for earlier content? (1 Viewer)

raoli

HSC
Couldn't find a thread on here answering my question (or maybe my search skills are just poor). In Year 12, how do you revise for content you've learnt earlier in the year? I'm asking mostly for essay subjects (like modern) and English, since i feel like I'm constantly having to stay up to date with work during the term, leaving me no time to revise previous content. I also don't really want to start revising older content closer to the trials.

ADE22

HSC
Many people have found many different methods of studying advantageous to their learning style. Your junior years in secondary school should naturally serve as the testing ground for uncovering what works for you, but it's completely fine if you haven't uncovered any distinct strategies yet.

Personally, I didn't completely grasp how to effectively stay up-to-date with work until Year 12. I would always scramble to complete copious amounts of homework, one subject at a time, before realising that I was sacrificing time for genuinely valuable study. That led to me to recognise what homework was important to complete and what could be skipped in favour of creating study notes. I wasn't entirely satisfied with that approach, but it did work to the point where revision for content-heavy subjects such as Business Studies became far more approachable.

As far as what you can do to effectively study for your writing subjects, keep track of the work you are doing that relates to the syllabus dot points. For Modern History, I would recommend looking at your study notes and creating headings that are directly from the syllabus, treating each dot point like a module. If your homework isn't checked at all in the same way mine wasn't, I would prioritise creating study notes digitally over any homework you get until you have completed notes for the entire course. At that point, you can then consolidate your knowledge of older work by revisiting the notes you made and summarising them in a physical exercise book formatted to your liking. I followed this approach for all of my subjects bar maths, having completed most of my notes on a word document prior the trials and summarising them on pen and paper in the lead-up to the HSC. It's not a strategy that works for everyone, but it did for me and I've continued following the majority of that approach for university.

If that doesn't work for you, there's a range of alternatives. I knew many people who enjoyed using spaced repetition study through programs such as Quizlet. I found that too clunky to be of any value, but again, everyone floats their own boat differently. If your school makes use of services like Atomi or Edrolo, those are equally very good resources that help you develop study patterns yourself, and I would most certainly recommend them for the kind of subjects you're doing.

Let me know what you think and if there's anything else you'd like to know. 😀

raoli

HSC
Many people have found many different methods of studying advantageous to their learning style. Your junior years in secondary school should naturally serve as the testing ground for uncovering what works for you, but it's completely fine if you haven't uncovered any distinct strategies yet.

Personally, I didn't completely grasp how to effectively stay up-to-date with work until Year 12. I would always scramble to complete copious amounts of homework, one subject at a time, before realising that I was sacrificing time for genuinely valuable study. That led to me to recognise what homework was important to complete and what could be skipped in favour of creating study notes. I wasn't entirely satisfied with that approach, but it did work to the point where revision for content-heavy subjects such as Business Studies became far more approachable.

As far as what you can do to effectively study for your writing subjects, keep track of the work you are doing that relates to the syllabus dot points. For Modern History, I would recommend looking at your study notes and creating headings that are directly from the syllabus, treating each dot point like a module. If your homework isn't checked at all in the same way mine wasn't, I would prioritise creating study notes digitally over any homework you get until you have completed notes for the entire course. At that point, you can then consolidate your knowledge of older work by revisiting the notes you made and summarising them in a physical exercise book formatted to your liking. I followed this approach for all of my subjects bar maths, having completed most of my notes on a word document prior the trials and summarising them on pen and paper in the lead-up to the HSC. It's not a strategy that works for everyone, but it did for me and I've continued following the majority of that approach for university.

If that doesn't work for you, there's a range of alternatives. I knew many people who enjoyed using spaced repetition study through programs such as Quizlet. I found that too clunky to be of any value, but again, everyone floats their own boat differently. If your school makes use of services like Atomi or Edrolo, those are equally very good resources that help you develop study patterns yourself, and I would most certainly recommend them for the kind of subjects you're doing.

Let me know what you think and if there's anything else you'd like to know. 😀
Thanks for the feedback!
I just wanted to ask when do you start your consolidation of your older notes? Do you do it in the short 2 week holidays, or do you do it throughout the term?

ADE22

HSC
I found it easier to start consolidating work during the two-week holiday periods, and then consolidate knowledge in the lead-up to the trials.

Your school may not complete the entire course prior to the trials - this happened to me for three of my five subjects. In that case, that time is probably better spent focusing on the work you have done rather than what your class needs to catch up on.

Irrespective of if you're on schedule, the most work I did to consolidate my revision came in the month leading up to the HSC. At that point, all of our courses had finished going through the work, and the urgency of needing to prepare for the exams allowed me to become more productive than ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)