How do you slef-motivate yourself when everyone around you is bludging? (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Assume you're in a school where everyone is lazy and never studies.

Ok how do you study at school when nobody does their work. How do you work hard when there is no motivation around you at all? If you're like the only kid aiming for 90+ and most other kids are only aiming for a pass how do you keep yourself going?

HSC
I won't assume my school is lazy, because it actually is

-Just consider things from a positive perspectie, i.e. easy ranks.
-Reiterate why you need 90 and over and what it would be like achieving this.
-Foresee the prospects of a great job as opposed to those lazy kids in school, who will, without a shroud of a doubt, regret not aiming higher.
-Personally, I think the pressure of doing well is what keeps me motivated.

fishfingerz

HSC
getting 90+ atar doesn't necessarily guarantee a good job. eg. med science

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
man id love it if everyone around me were bludging..no pressure to study and what not
and for me that equates to more study because i feel relaxed all the time :D

just keep your eyes on your goals and dont worry about everyone else! thats basically my philosophy for HSC now.

fishfingerz

HSC
motivate yourself by motivating others. but this might also be a disadvantage as they might end up beating you. :p

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Assume you're in a school where everyone is lazy and never studies.

Ok how do you study at school when nobody does their work. How do you work hard when there is no motivation around you at all? If you're like the only kid aiming for 90+ and most other kids are only aiming for a pass how do you keep yourself going?
This is pretty much my school exactly. I mean I was helping a couple of the guys in my class to get an ATAR estimate and they ranged between 25-65. One guy in my class wants to do Medicine even though his current ATAR estimate is around 62...

Getting over this lack of motivation at school is not as hard as it seems. My school is currently ranked in the 300s and at the end of Year 10 I was planning on transferring to Manly Selective (ranked 15th) and I got in but didn't end up going. I think this will probably be a good decision in the long term - it gives me the freedom to not put so much early pressure on myself and not to worry too much about rankings (it's fairly easy to get 1st across the board at my school) and just concentrate on learning everything I need to know and doing well in exams. Additionally, another source of motivation for me has been considering what each person in my grade will being doing this time next year. At this stage, it looks like there will be some very low ATARs in my grade and that sort of thing encourages me to not rest on my laurels but to recognise that there are several hundred top students across the state and I need to work harder to compete strongly with them. It just re-emphasizes that my school is nothing like the competition in the HSC and that motivates me a lot.

And so far, it does seem to be working. Although I go to a low-ranked school, the half-yearlies we just had were quite a bit harder than the HSC exam papers and from my results, my careers advisor gave me an ATAR estimate of 99. So, essentially its what you make of it. When I was considering leaving for Manly Selective, I remember my English teacher saying that it doesn't really matter what school you're at because (as cliched as it sounds) "cream rises to the top."

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Yeah, you have to realise that you're vsing the whole of NSW as well.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
this generally works for me, although i haven't done it lately..

but just keep repeating to yourself under your breath that you need to perform well

yes.

cassiecocaine

HSC
I had the superiority complex goin' on. Think about where you'll be next year (uni, studying nanotechnology), and they'll be sitting at home watching reruns of Seinfeld. Then laugh inwardly at them because YOU ARE BETTER.

:angel:

1titanic

HSC
Well for me, I just do what it is told to do so I don't have a lot of homework and use the spare time left to do other hw so when I go back home, I have more spare time to study or do practice questions yeh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)