How do you study for English? (1 Viewer)

CookieChamp21

HSC
For maths and all my other subjects, its basically do the homework and and make notes. But the homework English teachers give is so useless and unrelated to the assessment task at the end of the term. So how do you improve English on a weekly basis, like do you write essays or something?

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Yup - basically just write essays/creatives and improve upon them throughout the year. In the pre-2019 HSC syllabus, English was literally just adapting the essays/creatives that you worked on throughout the year to the given stimulus/question. I'm not too sure how this changes in the 2019 HSC syllabus though.

Just make sure to give your essays to your teachers in order to get some feedback from them. Following this, try to incorporate this feedback into your essays since your teachers will be the one marking your school assessments, and you'll probably want to get on their good side since English marking tends to be a bit subjective across different markers.

However, for the final HSC exam, I would recommend doing what's most comfortable for you. Perhaps give it to some people who did well in English previously and ask for their feedback.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
For maths and all my other subjects, its basically do the homework and and make notes. But the homework English teachers give is so useless and unrelated to the assessment task at the end of the term. So how do you improve English on a weekly basis, like do you write essays or something?
Idk I just wrote quotes and some analysis (didn't memorise this) and I memorised the quotes before the exam and wrote my essay on the spot. If the quotes didn't really work well for an exam (we had 3 trials) I just edited my quotes and yea that's it... stuff practice essays xD

Jolteon

HSC
Personally here are the ways that work for me:
Pick related materials that click with you, there isn't a point choosing a related that you're not willing to read/watch and study and it'll improve your life by a mile

My personal favourite is reading high B6 essays or exemplars and use their vocabulary and their techniques and especially their form/structure, a lot of teachers do not teach form well or emphasize it enough so students with poor teachers tend to have weak form.

Take your time to write it and to edit it as you go. I know many students who rush an essay and then try to fix it up as they go and having to go through too many drafts just to get it right.

Planning and rough scaffolding helps me alot before I write. I like to list my concepts and the quotes before I write so there's less thinking as I type. (This usually means I spend a few hours just to get the planning right)

Having an English study group is also useful since you can read your peer's work and vice versa - this gives you the opportunity to see different perspectives and tells you the kind of standard your cohort may be at. (Ps. This works best if your study group has students in the A range and with people who are willing to roast your essays and give constructive feedback)

Not sure about the 2019 syllabus but for the 2018 students, it's good to do an AOS paper once a week or fortnight so you don't get rusty and can familiarize yourself with type of questions and the Discovery rubric.

Personally, English lessons close to exam dates are pretty boring and useless unless they're teaching you actual content or offering to read your drafts, I like to read short stories and Band 6 creative pieces so I can see what it takes to do well.

Otherwise just work on your essay, perfect it and then give it to every teacher you find.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)