How does eco essay marking work? (1 Viewer)

sy37

HSC
For the first one I picked the wrong topic..I wasn't too sure about the changes in economic growth and instead should have focused on microeconomic reform but anyway here's the thing

- my essay had barely a logical structure

- I didn't adress the part about manufacturing or may have barely touched upon it although it wasn't explicitly stated- just services (tourism, education) and mining

- I talked about China boom, diversifying export base, volatility of commodities and stuff like that

I basically just dumped everything I knew on the paper because I don't know my economics well enough to be able to talk heaps about that

The second essay I did was kind of better so I'm hoping an 11-12 / 20...

I'd be happy with 50% in each essay though... how hard is that to attain? I'm pretty sure I near aced the short answers and multiple choice was easy, so I got that goin for me...which is nice

Last edited:

xetamine

HSC
It's hard to say. I would say this year's essays are a little bit easier than last years.

On the other hand, I'm certain the growth question will be aligned higher.

How have you been doing in trials?

sy37

HSC
It's hard to say. I would say this year's essays are a little bit easier than last years.

On the other hand, I'm certain the growth question will be aligned higher.

How have you been doing in trials?
I didn't do my trial unfortunately, I missed out a whole week after eco because I was too sick to come in (lucky because eco was my last. Although in retrospect I could have came in but it wouldn't have been worth it imo)

In the half yearly I got 80% (school purchased paper)

Idk..if I get atleast 10 in them I'd get a band 5

xetamine

HSC
What essay question do you think will align favourably?
Q26 = Moderate align up

Q27 = Small/moderate align up

My 2 cents.

I personally did Q25 and Q28. I'd rather do the questions where I know I'll get a 17-19 instead of doing something for a 15-17 and hoping aligning will carry up me up.

amberbambi

HSC
N/A
Q26 = Moderate align up

Q27 = Small/moderate align up

My 2 cents.

I personally did Q25 and Q28. I'd rather do the questions where I know I'll get a 17-19 instead of doing something for a 15-17 and hoping aligning will carry up me up.
I thought qn 28 would align better - international organisations/trade agreements is relatively straightforward. Idk

xetamine

HSC
I personally think macroeconomic policies are a lot more straightforward. Very simple, and easy to talk about in-depth.

International organisations / trade agreements just feels shallow to me.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
I thought qn 28 would align better - international organisations/trade agreements is relatively straightforward. Idk
yeah every school has done case studies about globalisation right? Don't think many schools would've stressed on external stability since it's not really an issue for the economy at the moment

siggy

HSC
Q28 is way harder. Macroeconomic policies are hardly related to external stability AND requires a student to show full knowledge of Fiscal and Monetary Policy as well as the whole of external stability (CAD, $AUD, NFL), Q28 will be definitely be marked up over the rote learn easy Q27 one.

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
iirc Q27 was asked in 2011 or something and I remember the marker comments saying that a lot of candidates had real trouble providing a specific evaluation of the role of international organisations and agreements. It's a far more explicitly argument based question than q28 and for that reason I'd say it might be a tad tougher.

siggy

HSC
Meh I did Q27 and I'd definitely have more trouble for Q28, trying my best not to bias based on the fact one question (Q27) covers just one aspect of the syllabus and requires a lot less theory understanding where as the other (Q28) covers multiple topics and ideas testing a knowledge across the whole syllabus.

Not 2011 by the way, I'll try go through the other papers later If I am bothered.

Last edited:

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Meh I did Q27 and I'd definitely have more trouble for Q28, trying my best not to bias based on the fact one question (Q27) covers just one aspect of the syllabus and requires a lot less theory understanding where as the other (Q28) covers multiple topics and ideas testing a knowledge across the whole syllabus.

Not 2011 by the way, I'll try go through the other papers later If I am bothered.
Yeah you're right, I can't even find it in any of the past papers I have detailed markers comments for. I wonder where I read it, I swear it was the same question though. Doesn't matter particularly.

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
Yeah you're right, I can't even find it in any of the past papers I have detailed markers comments for. I wonder where I read it, I swear it was the same question though. Doesn't matter particularly.
I think you're talking about 2008 q25: Discuss the influence of international organisations and contemporary trading blocs and agreements in promoting globalisation.

siggy

HSC
Yeh true, no point dwelling on it :)
Lets hope we all do well haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)