How does the UNSW gateway program work? (1 Viewer)

FesuY

HSC
Imma bit confused on how it works, specifically how to apply for it. If anyone could explain it to me, that would be appreciated.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, UNSW's Gateway Admission Pathway is an early conditional offer to UNSW for Year 12 students that is administered through the UAC Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS). Factors taken into consideration when assessing your application include:
  • your personal statement
  • your school's ratings of your aptitudes and performance in relevant areas of study
If your application is successful, you will receive an early conditional offer with an ATAR entry requirement significantly lower than the lowest selection rank for your chosen degree. Subsequently, if the ATAR you end up receiving is equal to or higher than the requirement set for you in your early conditional offer, you will receive a firm (unconditional) offer to that UNSW degree, provided it is your highest eligible preference.

Regarding how to apply, you must select 1 UNSW degree to apply for through the Gateway Admission Pathway. The degree that you list as your highest UNSW preference in your UAC application will be the degree you are considered for in your Gateway Admission Pathway application (administered through UAC's SRS). This means that before you can apply for SRS, you need to apply for undergraduate admission through UAC, which is where you will have the opportunity to select your highest preference UNSW degree.

Once the above has been completed, the following steps are required to successfully complete an SRS application:
  1. Log in to the SRS application using your UAC application number and PIN. A series of questions and prompts will then guide you through the application process.
  2. Enter your Year 11 studies, if prompted to do so in your application. If you are not asked to enter your Year 11 studies or to provide documents then there is no need to do so as UAC obtains them directly from NESA.
  3. Upload institution-specific documents (if required).
  4. Review your application.
  5. Accept the declaration.
  6. Download your Confirmation of Application.
As mentioned above, you don’t need to nominate any courses in your SRS application since it is automatically linked to your list of course preferences in your UAC application for undergraduate admission.

Note that SRS/Gateway Admission Pathway applications are currently closed.

I hope this helps! :D

FesuY

HSC
Essentially, UNSW's Gateway Admission Pathway is an early conditional offer to UNSW for Year 12 students that is administered through the UAC Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS). Factors taken into consideration when assessing your application include:
  • your personal statement
  • your school's ratings of your aptitudes and performance in relevant areas of study
If your application is successful, you will receive an early conditional offer with an ATAR entry requirement significantly lower than the lowest selection rank for your chosen degree. Subsequently, if the ATAR you end up receiving is equal to or higher than the requirement set for you in your early conditional offer, you will receive a firm (unconditional) offer to that UNSW degree, provided it is your highest eligible preference.

Regarding how to apply, you must select 1 UNSW degree to apply for through the Gateway Admission Pathway. The degree that you list as your highest UNSW preference in your UAC application will be the degree you are considered for in your Gateway Admission Pathway application (administered through UAC's SRS). This means that before you can apply for SRS, you need to apply for undergraduate admission through UAC, which is where you will have the opportunity to select your highest preference UNSW degree.

Once the above has been completed, the following steps are required to successfully complete an SRS application:
  1. Log in to the SRS application using your UAC application number and PIN. A series of questions and prompts will then guide you through the application process.
  2. Enter your Year 11 studies, if prompted to do so in your application. If you are not asked to enter your Year 11 studies or to provide documents then there is no need to do so as UAC obtains them directly from NESA.
  3. Upload institution-specific documents (if required).
  4. Review your application.
  5. Accept the declaration.
  6. Download your Confirmation of Application.
As mentioned above, you don’t need to nominate any courses in your SRS application since it is automatically linked to your list of course preferences in your UAC application for undergraduate admission.

Note that SRS/Gateway Admission Pathway applications are currently closed.

I hope this helps! :D
Oh ok, I understand more of it now, appreciate the response Jimmy, but I got one more question. My year 11 marks were complete shit, will this affect my application and can my improved year 12 grades make up for it?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh ok, I understand more of it now, appreciate the response Jimmy, but I got one more question. My year 11 marks were complete shit, will this affect my application and can my improved year 12 grades make up for it?
No worries.

Your year 12 results will not be directly taken into consideration since it is your year 11 results that are considered in your SRS application. However, other factors that are considered in terms of your SRS application are your school’s rating of your abilities in different areas of study and your school’s rating of your aptitudes. Improved year 12 grades may be beneficial here, as they can have a positive effect on those factors, potentially resulting in a stronger SRS application.

Of course, there are additional factors that are considered, meaning that you are not only limited to the above. Those factors include:
  • your Educational Access Schemes (EAS) application (if applicable)
  • institution-specific documents (if applicable)

nzexperiment

HSC
Of course, there are additional factors that are considered, meaning that you are not only limited to the above. Those factors include:
  • your Educational Access Schemes (EAS) application (if applicable)
  • institution-specific documents (if applicable)
UNSW gateway does not consider these factors when assessing your application because all applicants will be eligible for one of these:
Just to add to this but you need be eligible for this program either by residing in a location of socio-economic disadvantage (SEIFA) or by attending a gateway school (which you can find on their website), do you meet any of these requirements?

nzexperiment

HSC
Additionally in step 3 of Jimmy's step you are required to upload your answer to a series of questions. These questions form your personal statement and is assessed in addition to the other things when they look at your application. The questions for 2021 are:
  • Why are you interested in the course you are applying for? Tell us how this degree relates to your passions and goals.
  • What are your learning strengths? How have you applied them to overcome challenges in school or other aspects of your life?
  • Thinking about your future self at university, what do you identify as the key challenges for you and how do you plan to manage these?
Please check next year when you apply for the most up to date information. Additionally you may use UNSW's web app for Gateway to answer these questions at:

Furthermore for 2021,
The below listed degrees in the Faculty of Arts, Design and Architecture also require a portfolio to be uploaded:

School of Art & Design

• B Design
  • B Design/B Media (PR&Ad)
  • B Fine Arts
  • B Fine Arts/B Arts
  • B Media Arts
School of Built Environment

• B Architectural Studies
  • B Computational Design
  • B Industrial Design
  • B Interior Architecture (Hons)
  • B Landscape Architecture (Hons)
Refer to this video for a short summation of the progeram:

FesuY

HSC
Just to add to this but you need be eligible for this program either by residing in a location of socio-economic disadvantage (SEIFA) or by attending a gateway school (which you can find on their website), do you meet any of these requirements?
i checked online and my school is eligable

FesuY

HSC
Additionally in step 3 of Jimmy's step you are required to upload your answer to a series of questions. These questions form your personal statement and is assessed in addition to the other things when they look at your application. The questions for 2021 are:
  • Why are you interested in the course you are applying for? Tell us how this degree relates to your passions and goals.
  • What are your learning strengths? How have you applied them to overcome challenges in school or other aspects of your life?
  • Thinking about your future self at university, what do you identify as the key challenges for you and how do you plan to manage these?
Please check next year when you apply for the most up to date information. Additionally you may use UNSW's web app for Gateway to answer these questions at:

Furthermore for 2021,
The below listed degrees in the Faculty of Arts, Design and Architecture also require a portfolio to be uploaded:

School of Art & Design

• B Design
  • B Design/B Media (PR&Ad)
  • B Fine Arts
  • B Fine Arts/B Arts
  • B Media Arts
School of Built Environment

• B Architectural Studies
  • B Computational Design
  • B Industrial Design
  • B Interior Architecture (Hons)
  • B Landscape Architecture (Hons)
Refer to this video for a short summation of the progeram:
thanks bro

FesuY

HSC
How hard is it to get the gateway offer, considering there are like 370 schools eligible for the program?

nzexperiment

HSC
How hard is it to get the gateway offer, considering there are like 370 schools eligible for the program?
most people in my year got it, i got it. go to the gateway winter program where they go through it and teach you how to write a personal statement, it's very important for them

nzexperiment

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)