• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how does these subjects scale? (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Subjects scale at different ranges of their marks. What kind of marks do you expect to get in them?

alwaysforever

HSC
Subjects scale at different ranges of their marks. What kind of marks do you expect to get in them?
i would say i am ranking in first in 3 subjects and top 10 for the rest at school at a school ranked 200. What UAI would u reckon ill get?

Last edited:
HSC
don';t no about geo but if you do well in phy and econ should be high, but its propely obvious but if you don't do well in english, k your screw

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
even without any extensions??lol
Not all extensions scale well. English Extension 1 & 2 have worse scaling than Advanced English(This pure speculation so you don't have to accept it as fact). You have good ranks. Combine those with good marks and you're set for a high UAI.

EDIT: I turned my 'fact' into 'theory'. Thanks to LordPC for pointing out my mistake.

Last edited:

Eddykungfu

HSC
serious? english ext 1 and 2 have worse scaling?
how does it work then lol.

HSC
Not all extensions scale well. English Extension 1 & 2 have worse scaling than Advanced English. You have good ranks. Combine those with good marks and you're set for a high UAI.
uhhh wtf?
are you sure about that?
the whole hsc system is so screwed i must say...

dp624

HSC
at the top end, i think ext1 and ext2 eng have a worse
"aligned" to "scaled" mark ratio

HSC
ahhh im so over trying to understand all this scaling stuff.
what ever happens happens

LordPc

HSC
i dont know why somebody is saying EE1 and EE2 scales worse than advanced. especially when they are only in prelim...

thats like saying MX2 scales worse than MX1...

dp624

HSC
well this 'scaling' as i see it was the reason i didn't do ex1 or ex2
because assuming it's as difficult in each english to get a certain aligned mark
then nearer the top end, it's harder to get scaled marks

well that's my convoluted way of thinking about it

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
i dont know why somebody is saying EE1 and EE2 scales worse than advanced. especially when they are only in prelim...

thats like saying MX2 scales worse than MX1...
I'm only saying it because I've read that dp624 guy saying it in other threads. I didn't make this assumption of my own knowledge but if you try really high numbers such as 95%+ in SAM you'll see that they're scaled lower in Extension English than Advanced.

Don't worry if you're doing English Extension 1 and 2 though, perhaps this year will be different and the scaling will improve.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
you must however realise that your sources cannot be taken as fact. dp didnt do any extension english subjects and sam is only a guestimate at best.

your statement "Not all extensions scale well. English Extension 1 & 2 have worse scaling than Advanced English" which is written like its a known fact, which is why I took issue with it. all we can do really is speculate.

dp624

HSC
mate, my reason to drop ex1/not take up ex2
was based on my interpretation of the scaling tables
so yeah; it's my speculation

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Yeah I've noticed this as well. 96 Aligned in Advanced English stays about even, while 96 in EE1 drops to about 95. I dunno why, but the Aligned-Scaled ratio is pretty shit. It still kills most subjects in scaling, just the aligned->scaled mark is bad at high levels. Regardless, that should not affect your decision to take a subject if EX1 is giving you much higher results than something else.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
you must however realise that your sources cannot be taken as fact. dp didnt do any extension english subjects and sam is only a guestimate at best.

your statement "Not all extensions scale well. English Extension 1 & 2 have worse scaling than Advanced English" which is written like its a known fact, which is why I took issue with it. all we can do really is speculate.
Fine, if you're so concerned then I'll edit it.

kevda1st

HSC
Estimating UAI's by ranks isn't a good idea but I think you're pretty capable of 95+.
you should only estimate UAI through ur ranks. your internal school marks means nothing to the board of studies.

As for EE1&2 English, i think what this kids trying to say that is that English extension courses don't scale as well as Maths extension courses.

Judging from your ranks id say u can get in the 90's pretty easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)